Osage

JK Knives

I have found a limited supply of 1/4” thick Osage, which is perfect for smaller knives. If anyone is interested in something in osage (NEW ORDERS ONLY, all materials have been ordered for all existing orders) place your order now for November delivery.

John,
I have a few osage orange trees on the property - I could cut a branch off one and blank it out if you need handle stock.
I also have some mulberry - another yellow wood, if you want to try it out. (I use it in the smoker)

John,
I have a few osage orange trees on the property - I could cut a branch off one and blank it out if you need handle stock.
I also have some mulberry - another yellow wood, if you want to try it out. (I use it in the smoker)
Very generous offer, I just don’t know how long it would need to dry and cure.

Only one way to find out?
what size blocks would work and how many would you need?
1x2x6?

how many?
it'll take a few months - I have to build a small solar kiln first, then it takes a couple of months to dry/cure the wood.
most of the kiln I can do with scrap materials I already have, but I'll need to find or make a solar powered fan for it.

how many?
it'll take a few months - I have to build a small solar kiln first, then it takes a couple of months to dry/cure the wood.
most of the kiln I can do with scrap materials I already have, but I'll need to find or make a solar powered fan for it.
That sounds like a lot of trouble for you to go through, so I think we should pass on it. I do appreciate the offer, but I don’t even know if I’ll still be around next year.

I can also check the "local" commercial sawmill about 40 miles away and see if he has any already kiln dried.

I can also check the "local" commercial sawmill about 40 miles away and see if he has any already kiln dried.
I think I found a place that sells it and it’s only 20 miles away. I’m going to check it out sometime next week.

OK - let me know if it doesn't work out.
do you have a way to cut blocks thinner?

Should have some 1/4” thick osage coming this week. Hopefully there will be some interest in knives with that handle.

Should have some 1/4” thick osage coming this week. Hopefully there will be some interest in knives with that handle.

I would have interest in some future knives that I don't have done in micarta. I think it ranks up there with bocote as a fave wood material for me. Might need to look at another HCL... such a fun little knife. I can't honestly decide if I like it more or less than the hunter... very different small knives though. Maybe a mud turtle in osage...

If you don't mind, I would be interested to see the blocks here or on your website to know what I'm looking at when that time comes. I know the osage knives in the pic thread have looked good, but I don't want to dig them up.

It won’t be blocks, it will be a 1/4” thick piece, and should be here by Friday. That’s why I said it would be suitable for smaller knives.

It won’t be blocks, it will be a 1/4” thick piece, and should be here by Friday. That’s why I said it would be suitable for smaller knives.

What's the biggest knife you think that would be good for? Any of the 3" blade models with the more petite handles?

What's the biggest knife you think that would be good for? Any of the 3" blade models with the more petite handles?
Any of the B&T size knives, and as most don’t realize, the Element Series uses 1/4” thick handles. The little one you just got from me has 1/4” handles too. I just wouldn’t use it on a knife with a blade longer than 4” or so.

Any of the B&T size knives, and as most don’t realize, the Element Series uses 1/4” thick handles. The little one you just got from me has 1/4” handles too. I just wouldn’t use it on a knife with a blade longer than 4” or so.

The little one I just got is surprisingly nice to me, given the small handle. Normally, I would've written that one off as a regular user but I can actually get 3.5 fingers on it with how the handle is rounded at the back. I need to get a little edge cover or something for it and make it my desktop knife at work. I kind of got it thinking it would be something to stick into a sheath with something else, kind of like a karda in a kuhkri sheath. I've changed my position on that, though the bigger handle on the HCL is pretty fantastic and I'm equally excited about getting that to the woods/stream as I was the hunter for camping and hiking. I've really taken a liking to little blade recently after a long time of preferring the 5" or so blade sizes for fixed blades.

Back