1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Osprey K/T Maintenance Thread

Discussion in 'Osprey Knife & Tool' started by adequacy, Aug 5, 2018.

1. adequacy

adequacy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Hey Chris and everyone else in the gang.

I have an OKT with an OD micarta handle that has brown stains on it from my leather sheath :(

It doesn't affect function, but anyone have any suggestions for fixing it without ruining the texture of Chris' sandblast?

-Ryan

P.S.

I also figured it would be cool to have a thread for sharpening and maintenance techniques.

Osprey Knife & Tool likes this.
  2. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012

the best fix is to send it to me and I'll properly dispose of it for you. You don't want the micarta filling up our landfills.

Osprey Knife & Tool and adequacy like this.
  3. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I've found that isopropyl alcohol does a pretty good job removing sheath transfer from micarta and G10.

Osprey Knife & Tool and adequacy like this.
  4. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014
    Thanks for jumping in on this @RobbieB, what you recommend or Denatured alcohol, and or Acetone but I would use the Acetone as a last option or resort as it is the least healthy choice and improper use can attack adhesives etc..

I will start working on some additional information fornthis thread, I would encourage anyone else to share there tips or ideas as well for general upkeep.

Oyster and adequacy like this.
  5. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I've found that denatured alcohol or a high % rubbing alcohol with a toothbrush will clean up about anything

6. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    I had some brown sheath stains on my Warthog, too.
    Warm soapy water and a toothbrush worked fine (but maybe the discoloration was only very superficial)

7. bonafide

bonafide Leather Sheathmaker, JouFuu Leathers Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2013
    Alcohol removes oil base dyes from the handles. It'll also dry out your micarta handle. Light coat of Mineral oil with a clean cloth wipe down will bring it back.

Re-oil your leather. 100% neetsfoot. Allow to dry.

Resolene will seal the dye to the leather, but there's a trade off .. the leather will be shiny. You can (should) dilute the resolene with water .. then wipe down your leather with Mink Oil or Sno-seal to take some of the shine down.

adequacy, schmittie, RobbieB and 4 others like this.
  8. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014
    I have not forgotten about this thread, I have been catching up on production and admin lately.. I want to beable to add a concise and comprehensives addition.

Apocryphiliac likes this.