Osprey K/T Sales Thread 12/8/16 (Sold Out)

Thanks Jerry, I nick myself here and too. Hurts less when they are really sharp though:thumbup: I will be looking forward to hearing what you think about the new Prototype its pretty similar to the Mamushi is dimension.

What did you think of the (K ) variant Raptor? If you remember the idea hit me after we discussed your use of the Raptor in the Kitchen. Your not the only one either who expressed the wish for a minimal or guardless version. This varitation was my answer to the feedback I got from people, guardless and a more upswept handle

If I may input my 2 cents as a Raptor owner and fan, I tend to use a forward push cut at a slight downward angle to take advantage of the long curved edge. The guard hasn't touched the cutting board once. (My fat fingers might be one reason for that too) With the upswept handle I could see the way I use the knife changing to take advantage of the new ergos. I certainly would not mind trying one out given the chance to compare. The Raptor has been in my hands more than any other knife I own since I opened the box.

Last edited:
What did you think of the (K ) variant Raptor? If you remember the idea hit me after we discussed your use of the Raptor in the Kitchen. Your not the only one either who expressed the wish for a minimal or guardless version. This varitation was my answer to the feedback I got from people, guardless and a more upswept handle

Chris, I really like the looks of the changes you made on the K variant. :thumbup: This is the variant of the Raptor that would ideally suit the way I would use the knife.

If I may input my 2 cents as a Raptor owner and fan, I tend to use a push cut at a slight downward angle to take advantage of the long curved edge. The guard hasn't touched the cutting board once. (My fat fingers might be one reason for that too) With the upswept handle I could see the way I use the knife changing to take advantage of the new ergos. I certainly would not mind trying one out given the chance to compare. The Raptor has been in my hands more than any other knife I own since I opened the box.

Thanks for jumpng in the discussion, I am happy to hear anyones 2 cents, The upswept handle was something I decided to add to the new version, I kept hearing customers say how they use the Raptor in the kitchen and love it. This intriguedme because the kitchen was not what I had in mind when I designed the knife. The orginal Raptor was concieved to be a Bird and Trout or medium game knife. I can see how it appeals to people in the kitchen with the upswept blade. After listening to a few people about the Raptor I decided to take a stab at a more kitchen friendly one. I have lans to make more, I am pretty sure you will see another one here on Thursday before the month is over.

Last edited:
Chris, I really like the looks of the changes you made on the K variant. :thumbup: This is the variant of the Raptor that would ideally suit the way I would use the knife.

Thank you, I am pretty happy with how it turned out, how is it that you would use the knife? Does it differ from others? I plan on making more of these regularly and out of thinner stock, maybe even S35vn!:D:eek:

(Bump)

That leaves us with just this.

Warthog (Guardless Variant)-
1/8" (.137) CPM154 Tapered Tang
Spalted Maple Burl over Natural w/ White accent liners
OAL 7 1/4"
Blade 3 1/4"
3.84oz
$295.00

Yes, As it appears I was a minute late on the unnamed black micarta grab, but is anyone else watching the gang up? It must be a pretty close group, who does what I don't know with all those knives?

Very common occurrence around here. Close knit group of people always willing to help each other out when someone really wants a knife. Though occasionally friends both want the same and a race occurs! Many, probably most of the people around here actually, are collectors of knives. So, what they do with all those knives is collect them. Though there are always a few users in the collection! :thumbup:

Yes, as I understand. What happens if the group slows down on purchases and potential purchasers are alienated from process. Would Fiddleback, WA Surls, and Osprey's sales be impacted? My mind works like this; if I want something I'll try myself and if I can't get it on my own, then someone else can have it. I'm just saying.

Thank you, I am pretty happy with how it turned out, how is it that you would use the knife? Does it differ from others? I plan on making more of these regularly and out of thinner stock, maybe even S35vn!:D:eek:

I have not had the chance to skin an animal yet with the Raptor I have, which is what I really want to try it at. Since I received it, I've primarily been playing with it in the kitchen. As necrolicious stated, the upswept handle would allow for more more of an ergonomic use for kitchen duty. Looks to me like the changes would make a straight draw back easier when slicing and add clearance for the knuckles vs. the rocking wrist motion I find myself using now. Not that the motion is bad, but the repetitive nature is less comfortable after a lot of chopping. As I mentioned in the comparison thread, I think the best change for me is the pommel. Of the 4 knives of yours I currently have, I like the feel of the mamushi style pommel best. All are nice, but that's the one I gravitate toward. The raptor is by far the best slicer, so the K variant looks like the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Nice work Chris! I prefer thinner 3/32" and guardless knives these days, so this week's batch was halfway there for me.

My favorite of the of the bunch is the K variant Raptor. Ideally I will be looking for thinner steel and a thicker handle on the one I will buy. S35VN would be a plus too. The unnamed model would probably draw unwanted LEO attention living in California even though the swedge is not sharpened. It looks cool though. The Warthog is interesting. I like the taller blade. While I like guardless blades (as stated above), I am not sure that I like the look of relieved or recessed guards from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Thanks for making things interesting with these new variations. Thursdays are my favorite knife day of the week!

Phil

I have not had the chance to skin an animal yet with the Raptor I have. Since I received it, I've primarily been playing with it in the kitchen. As necrolicious stated, the upswept handle would allow for more of a straight draw back when slicing and clearance for the knuckles vs. the rocking wrist motion i find my self using now. Not that the motion is bad, but the repetitive nature is less comfortable after a while. As I mentioned in the comparison thread, I think the best change for me is the pommel. Of the 4 knives of yours I currently have, I like the feel of the mamushi style pommel best. All are nice, but that's the one I gravitate toward. The raptor is by far the best slicer, so the K variant is the best of both worlds.

I see, thank you for that insight. I did address the edge of the handles you where talking about, I hit the corners with 400 grit sand paper giving a slight bevel, I then burnished the corners to smooth over any remaining sharp edges. I hope this serves as a compromise while still retaining the aesthetics I desire.

Last edited:
I see, thank you for that insight. I did address the edge of the handles you where talking about, I hit the corners with 400 grit sand paper giving a slight bevel, I then burnished the corners to smooth over any remaining sharp edges. I hope this serves as a compromise while still retaining the aesthetics I desire.

Sounds like a great compromise. Looking forward to trying one! :thumbup:

Like Orion, I'm glad I arrived late or I would have probably broke down and snagged that Raptor! Great batch Chris!

I consider myself lucky on getting this Raptor as I figured it would be gone by the time I got a chance to first view this thread. I am working night shift this hitch and when the thread went live I was getting ready for work. I almost didn't buy this knife because I have been trying to snag a Raptor in 3/32". However what really attracted me to this knife was that it is guard less which allows me to have a full length edge and when 1/8" is done right it is a slicing machine. This is the type of edge I prefer to have on any knife that I will use in the kitchen as I feel I get better performance with the way I use my knives.

I also like the minimalist approach on this knife. Now don't get me wrong I think liners look great and dual handle combinations can look out of this world fantastic but there is something downright super sexy when it comes to keeping it simple.

To say that I am stoked about this purchase is an understatement as this is my first Osprey Knife and Tool purchase and now I'm even happier that I have the first of this model. I really think in this thickness and steel this will be an excellent knife for my uses.

I plan on using this this knife in the kitchen and when next year rolls around I will carry when I start salmon fishing. Now all that is left, will be put some nice yellow kydex on it.

Chris the payment has been sent and thank you for offering up such fine works of usable art.

Tony

Last edited:
Hey Tony,

I hope the comments I made about my preferences for certain details didn't come across as any kind of a snub for your purchase of the 1st K variant Raptor. You made a great purchase at a good price! My comments were specifically meant as feedback for Chris in line with my personal preferences. I too use 1/8" & 5/32" knives for kitchen duty at times, so I can't fault others doing the same. From what I can see, you have good taste and a strong sense of what works for you as evidenced by your purchases of the W.A. Surls Moray and Skiva.

Please keep us posted on your impression of using the K variant Raptor after you get it.

Thanks!

Phil

I consider myself lucky on getting this Raptor as I figured it would be gone by the time I got a chance to first view this thread. I am working night shift this hitch and when the thread went live I was getting ready for work. I almost didn't but this knife because I have been trying to snag a Raptor in 3/32". However what really attracted me to this knife was that it is guard less which allows me to have a full length edge and when 1/8" is done right it is a slicing machine.

This is the type of edge I prefer to have on any knife that I will use in the kitchen as I feel I get better performance with the way I use my knives. I also like the minimalist approach on this knife. Now don't get me wrong I think liners look great and dual handle combinations can look out of this world fantastic but there is something downright super sexy when it comes to keeping it simple.

To say that I am stoked about this purchase is an understatement as this is my first Osprey Knife and Tool purchase and now I'm even happier that I have the first of this model. I really think in this thickness and steel this will be an excellent knife for my uses.

I plan on using this this knife in the kitchen and when next year rolls around I will carry when I start salmon fishing. Now all that is left, will be put some nice yellow kydex on it.

Chris the payment has been sent and thank you for offering up such fine works of usable art.

Tony

Phill,

Your comments did not come across as a snub and I have learned a lot from some of your other post in other forums. I plan on using it when I get back home from the North Slope later this month.

Yes, as I understand. What happens if the group slows down on purchases and potential purchasers are alienated from process. Would Fiddleback, WA Surls, and Osprey's sales be impacted? My mind works like this; if I want something I'll try myself and if I can't get it on my own, then someone else can have it. I'm just saying.
My friend, give me a shout next time you see something good you want. 99% sure I can claim it for you ;)

Very common occurrence around here. Close knit group of people always willing to help each other out when someone really wants a knife. Though occasionally friends both want the same and a race occurs! Many, probably most of the people around here actually, are collectors of knives. So, what they do with all those knives is collect them. Though there are always a few users in the collection! :thumbup:

1fneqs.jpg

Sierrawill,
While I'm quoting your post, this is not directed specifically towards you. Because my reply offers help and insight to any newcomer, I'm posting this rather then sending you a PM or email on the side. Hopefully you take it as helping hand reaching out and not an attack.

Glass half empty: It's a "gang up"
vs
Glass half full: I was at a Christmas play at my kids' school in Vanderbilt TX where you're lucky to be able to make a cell phone call let alone load a web page on a phone. There is zero wifi signal in the school also. I asked a couple folks, if they weren't interested in the item, to give me a hand and so they did. I thought that 1 person out of 3 might help and didn't expect all 3 to assist. But they did so its a positive / support thing. Its unfortunate if someone takes these things as a conspiracy. Another example is that someone commented yesterday that they like something in the Fiddleback preview but will be up in the mountains. I PM'd and asked if they were really interested in the knife and wanted help getting it while out of pocket. They accepted and were appreciative.

Timing/motivation: If you're 10 seconds late or a minute late to a sales thread unlocking, then it is on you for not remembering and being on time. You may as well be an hour or a day late. Set your PC and/or phone time to update with the network, set a reminder/alarm, be ready before the unlocking, refresh/refresh/refresh at the time of unlocking and reply promptly. How are you going to ask folks to not be competitive - or to not help someone out if they're going to be out of pocket?

Reaching out and being part of the community: It could be said that its also on you for not not asking for help or not making your want known. By simply replying in the "Its Thursday" thread that you want to go for something, most of the time folks would not compete with you. On the contrary, you're likely to get help solicited or not. Especially given my collection, I would not compete against a newer follower because its the last thing I want to do to discourage someone or push someone away (alienate) from any of these makers. People can't just keep buying so you need to expand the market of buyers or else the makers won't last. We'd shoot ourselves in the foot by keeping new people out. Heck, I was a new person in the first part of 2016 and was amazed at the help and outreach that I found with these knives. The out-friggen-standing community (including the Makers) is probably 50% the reason for my attraction to these knives if not more.

If you miss something you really want: PM or email the person who got something you really wanted with "Hey, if you don't like that when you get it or ever want to part with it, let me know and I'll take it off your hands" People do it all the time and I've got notes next to half my knives of people who expressed interest. And I have a list of sold knives where probably 15-20 were sold to folks who expressed interest at the point of original sale. I never even had to work up a WTS post/thread.

who does what I don't know with all those knives?: I slept on this and this first part is intended purely with humor but; Have you been talking to my Wife? :D Unfortunately, unless you live near one of the brick and mortar OKT/WAS/FF vendors, you can't check these out first-hand before buying. So, you have to "buy to try" and see if you like something. Then if you don't like something, sell or trade it .. often at a loss these days. Many of my purchases are "buy to try" and I've sold/traded a lot. Just in the past week, I landed a super nice blue Esquire and because a newer person commented that they really wanted one like that and would just have to watch in the future, I offered it to them and passed it on just because it would mean more to them. That was a knife that a person could make $30 profit but I went into it being ok with covering PP fees and shipping at a loss - because it was the nice thing to do. They ended up doing PP gift on their own out of appreciation for getting the knife. I've done a few of those and there have been folks who likewise passed something on to me.
To answer the question though: Even if I collect the knives because I like having a running theme, they're still all used and rotated. There are some I've purchased as gifts and given away. There are some that I've purchased and are intended for my children as they grow into them.

My personal offer: My belief is that Osprey K/T, WA Surls and Fiddleback Forge gravitate good people. Because "buy to try" can be expensive and not everyone can do that, I am willing to send any of my knives to a member on here as long as they are someone who frequents these forums. After that, its the honor system to not abuse a knife (that I say can be used) or to not use a knife (that is new/unused and I prefer to just be handled/fondled).

Remember to check out the sticky Osprey K/T Thursdays Tips & Places to buy an Osprey K/T knife

Back