Osprey K/T Work in Progress/Preview 01/23/17 - Updated 02/08/17

After releasing a batch last week I took a few days off last to catch up on admin and relax, later in the week I completed some projects that needed to be attended to.
I felt really good with how my sales went last week. I really enjoyed the flexibility, I will make a few minor tweaks to the next sales thread that were discussed a few days ago in the mung thread.

I appreciate every ones support and comments, and if you purchased a knife thank you and you should be receiving it this week.

Last week, with the help of the guys around the shop. We managed to find a home for the oven.

Hosted on Fotki

Finally getting closer to having this anvil on a proper mount so I can begin using it. It took 4 of us to lift this onto the base. All I need to do now is lag bolt the base together and secure the anvil to the base.

Hosted on Fotki

First order of business Saturday morning was a Post office run! Had to make a pocket dump before I went to make sure I had the necessities.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

When I got back from the Post Office I decided to fire up the kiln for the first time. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to program and start it.:D

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

This time around for my next round of knives, I will be working on two smaller batches. One will be for Fiddleback Outpost, I am going to front load and complete these first because they have been waiting patiently. The other is not far behind in the process and I am aiming for an early February sales thread.

Fiddleback Outposts batch, these are ready for handles.
Hosted on Fotki

Sales Thread Knives
I will split the remainder of these knives roughly in half to have ready for Early Feb.
and the other half late Feb.

Hosted on Fotki

I would also like to move forward of some of these side projects I have started on as well, you may see glimpses of these here and there. I have not decide if I will sell these with a batch or separate, provided the make the cut.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I will post more pictures and updates as time permits.

Question and comments welcome!

Last edited:
Chris, nice to see the progress with the new tools, new designs etc. Those two blades with new handles are interesting to say the least. In the picture of the 3 blanks what is the length of the those bottom two? Bigger than the Ranger? Also , before the holidays you posted a picture of a container that will be used for cryo quench?? Or was I seeing things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris, nice to see the progress with the new tools, new designs etc. Those two blades with new handles are interesting to say the least. In the picture of the 3 blanks what is the length of the those bottom two? Bigger than the Ranger? Also , before the holidays you posted a picture of a container that will be used for cryo quench?? Or was I seeing things?

Thank you Douglas!
The profiles you are referring too is a prototype I made a few months back and beat the crap out of it. These are round two and are 1/4'' 80crv2 the prototype was 3/16'' O1
the blade is a hair under 8 1/2'' a little over 14'' OAL.

The Cryo tank is still here, I have been compiling a list of liquid nitrogen dealers in the area. The first step was to get the oven up an running. Next I need to figure out where and how I can reliably get this dewar filled with LN2. And lastly I need to need a few more pieces of safety equipment. I hope to get this thing filled in the next month or so.

Hosted on Fotki

Looking very good... is that bottom one in the second from the last photo the mini-Ferox project?

Are these mostly 3/32 CPM 154 Stock Chris? Really excited to see the continuation of progress pics.

Which batch is the 1/8" harpoon in, Chris? :)

I haven't decided if I will make it for the first batch of Feb or the second. I will b selling it directly though, it will not be going to a dealer. Keep your eyes peeled on this thread and you shoudl have an Idea soon.

Are these mostly 3/32 CPM 154 Stock Chris? Really excited to see the continuation of progress pics.

Yes they are except for 2, the (K) Apache and the Harpoon model I was speaking of above

Chris what do you mean by "K" variant?

Chris what do you mean by "K" variant?

(K) variant is the way I am using to denote a variant of a model better intended for Kitchen use and food prep, usually this means in addition to being guardless the handle positioning will be more upswept than the regular version.

(K) variant is the way I am using to denote a variant of a model better intended for Kitchen use and food prep, usually this means in addition to being guardless the handle positioning will be more upswept than the regular version.

Thank you Chris!

First off, the batches are looking great and the equipment / behind the scenes pics are appreciated.

For the K variant, does the upswept handle positioning include the Apache and Mamushi? Mine are both loaned out at the moment so I don't have them handy for comparison to the two K models I just got. Just looking at them, its hard to tell.

From your sale batch picture, what are the 2nd and 3rd down on the right hand side?

Side bar question .. We've discussed the 3/32 Apache topic before but what is the maximum blade length / maximum blade height for a 3/32"? In other words, at what size/point do you get when you decide that 1/8" stock is required?

Thanks,
Jerry

First off, the batches are looking great and the equipment / behind the scenes pics are appreciated.

For the K variant, does the upswept handle positioning include the Apache and Mamushi? Mine are both loaned out at the moment so I don't have them handy for comparison to the two K models I just got. Just looking at them, it's hard to tell.

From your sale batch picture, what are the 2nd and 3rd down on the right hand side?

Side bar question .. We've discussed the 3/32 Apache topic before but what is the maximum blade length / maximum blade height for a 3/32"? In other words, at what size/point do you get when you decide that 1/8" stock is required?

Thanks,
Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I try to take pictures and talk about what I think you guys might find interesting.

The Apache and Raptor are the only ones I deem as (K) variants due to those being the only 2 turned the handle upwards on versus the regular variant. Your Mamushi is just a guardless variant like the Warthog.

I don't have a specific cut of for the dimensions of the 3/32. It's just an intuition more so than a hard rule on me being able to execute it. I do anticipate trying to make a few 3/32 Apaches in the near future. I would need to buy some more steel soon though.

The steel thickness per individual knife is based on a variety variables, and I usually end up with a range of thicknesses I feel is ideal for any given profile.

The Apache and Raptor are the only ones I deem as (K) variants due to those being the only 2 turned the handle upwards on versus the regular variant. Your Mamushi is just a guardless variant like the Warthog.

Thanks for confirming. I've been carrying the Mamushi since opening the package, looked at it each time I used it and the profile just seemed the same from memory. The Apache, I was pretty sure had something different about the handle. I used both side by side yesterday to cut up an apple and the K aspect seemed to do quite well. Again, when I get the non-K variants back, then I can really do a better comparison.

I don't have a specific cut of for the dimensions of the 3/32. It's just an intuition more so than a hard rule on me being able to execute it. I do anticipate trying to make a few 3/32 Apaches in the near future. I would need to buy some more steel soon though.

The steel thickness per individual knife is based on a variety variables, and I usually end up with a range of thicknesses I feel is ideal for any given profile.

Gotcha. I'd like to better draw out a concept scaled down Apache variant on graph paper for you and was looking for some optimal measurements for 3/32. Sounds like "it depends" is the answer :)

In my Apache/Mamushi apple cutting yesterday, the taller Apache blade height doesn't allow turn in cuts as nicely as the smaller tipped Mamushi. Another example would be rotating and cutting out the stem of a tomato - something closer to the Mamushi tip will simply work better. While the Apache blade height still makes it a heck of a slicer, it would still split the apple before getting to cut all the way though it. The 3/32 Mamushi didn't do any splitting at all.

Those are my unscientific non-photo op observations :D

Hey Chris, the mini Ferox and the one above it look interesting. That poon tip looks absolutely wicked! Also looking forward to seeing what you make with that anvil.:thumbup:

Chris, I want a 1/64 ferox. Go!

Safety equipment for the cryo tank... blast shield... jock strap... sunglasses...

Idea for a new model:
We have seen a scaled up, Apache sized, Warthog (the Razorback). But we have yet to see a scaled down, Warthog sized, Apache (name pending).

I think that would be a really cool design.
Any other opinions out there?
Thoughts, Chris?

Thanks for confirming. I've been carrying the Mamushi since opening the package, looked at it each time I used it and the profile just seemed the same from memory. The Apache, I was pretty sure had something different about the handle. I used both side by side yesterday to cut up an apple and the K aspect seemed to do quite well. Again, when I get the non-K variants back, then I can really do a better comparison.

You are welcome! That's good to hear the muscle memory is the same from the guardless variant to the regular.
The handles a essentially identical just placed at a different angle. I wanted to achieve the same effect with muscle memory as you stated above with the Mamushi.

Gotcha. I'd like to better draw out a concept scaled down Apache variant on graph paper for you and was looking for some optimal measurements for 3/32. Sounds like "it depends" is the answer :)

In my Apache/Mamushi apple cutting yesterday, the taller Apache blade height doesn't allow turn in cuts as nicely as the smaller tipped Mamushi. Another example would be rotating and cutting out the stem of a tomato - something closer to the Mamushi tip will simply work better. While the Apache blade height still makes it a heck of a slicer, it would still split the apple before getting to cut all the way though it. The 3/32 Mamushi didn't do any splitting at all.

Those are my unscientific non-photo op observations :D

I look forward to seeing you scaled down version on graph paper. I appreciate your feedback and it helps me design a better blade in the future. I think a 3/32 (K) Apache is in order then!
I can't wait to see what you have to say once you have gotten better acquainted these blades and get you others back to compare and contrast with.
Thank you for your input and feedback as always!

Hey Chris, the mini Ferox and the one above it look interesting. That poon tip looks absolutely wicked! Also looking forward to seeing what you make with that anvil.:thumbup:

Thanks Gus, I am getting pretty close to beating on that Anvil. It's been awhile since I have forged a knife though so I imagine I'll be a little rusty.

Chris, I want a 1/64 ferox. Go!

Safety equipment for the cryo tank... blast shield... jock strap... sunglasses...

Why the jock strap though?! LOL

Idea for a new model:
We have seen a scaled up, Apache sized, Warthog (the Razorback). But we have yet to see a scaled down, Warthog sized, Apache (name pending).

I think that would be a really cool design.
Any other opinions out there?
Thoughts, Chris?

I would be willing to give that a shot, Jerry had mentioned something similar before. He said he was going to get a better drawing made up on graph paper for me to look at. I am curious how similar your guys thoughts are.

Back