1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention Osprey Knife & Tool Vildmark featured in Knives Illustrated Vol 32. No. 5

Discussion in 'Osprey Knife & Tool' started by Osprey Knife & Tool, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014
    -
    Backwoods Brute!

Check out the latest issue of Knives Illustrated on stands now!

The Vildmark is featured and reviewed on page 24, by Kevin Estela.

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

I would like to thank Kevin Estela for putting the Vildmark through its paces, and for the well written review/article, you killed it! Thank you!

Josh Swanagon of Knives Illustrated thank you for featuring my work! I am a long time reader and fan long before I ever thought of making a knife. This is a dream come true!

Huge shout out to Stephan Fowler J.S. for introducing me to art of handmade knives and giving me a solid foundation to grow from. I meet Stephan Fowler back in Aug 2012 and I learned alot from him over the last 6 years. Thank you brother!
    ————————
    I would also like to thank Andy Roy with @Fiddleback , Dylan Fletcher @Fletcher Knives for their support and mentorship over the last few years.

Andy Thank you for providing me a place and a platform to grow from, you and Dylan both help me refine my craft by your example and presence. I learned alot about the knife business by being beable to hang around these two guy's on a daily basis. Not every lesson was directly taught. I learned quite a bit by just observation. I cannot thank you two enough!

A big shout out to Bud Joufuu leather for providing an awesome pair of pants for the Vildmark to ride in.
    I thought it was really neat to have two Combat Veterans work from Georgia featured together!

The wood on the knife is also sourced from a fellow Veteran in the Southeast who sources and stabilizes his own wood. I buy the all my burls from him and have over the course of my short career the past few years. For one because his wood is some of the best in the business and two I just like supporting other veteran owned businesses where I can.

Paul Brach @paul_brach you know you have helped me quite a bit too! You have helped me work trough some technical challenges. And you where there alot of weekends and late nights there to help me get my own shop moved into and in order.
    ————————-
    I would also like to thank everyone else who has supported me wrote a review, stopped by my table at Blade Show or purchased one of my pieces of work over the years. Even if you just hung out to see what I was up too I appreciate that as well!

More exciting things to come.....

Chris Linton
    Osprey Knife & Tool

#knives #knivesillustrated #backwoods #bucketlist #hardworkpaysoff

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. fatboyclone

fatboyclone Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Congrats on the article, Chris!

Oyster and Osprey Knife & Tool like this.
  3. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you!:D

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  4. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    Way to go brother!!! :thumbsup: You da man! :cool:

5. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Thanks Eric! :):):D:D:cool:

6. Hulk2e

Hulk2e Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2014
    That’s fantastic. Good to see your work getting recognition. You definitely deserve it.

7. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you! :):D

8. Coach23

Coach23 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    @Osprey Knife & Tool Well deserved recognition Chris! Your knives are as good if not better than any out there!
    Congrats:thumbsup:

9. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you! I appreciate that! :):D:thumbsup:

10. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    I posted on IG yesterday, but I'll say it again here because,..Well Hell you deserve to hear [read] it again. You deserve recognition for not just your skill. But your hard work, hard work all the time! Congratulations Brother!

Oyster, Osprey Knife & Tool and mb> like this.
  11. mb>

mb>

Sep 24, 2014
    Nice! I enjoy seeing you guys get some recognition for your quality work. :thumbsup:

12. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you Douglas! I appreciate it!

13. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank You!

14. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Has anyone had a chance to pick up a copy and read the article yet?

15. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Thanks for letting us know about this article. I picked-up a copy of the magazine shortly after it came out.

Kevin @k_estela did a great job demonstrating the versatile capabilities of the Vildmark design. His words and photos show the exceptional fit & finish details you put into your knives, starting with high quality steel and handle materials.

My only nit-pick comment with the article is that I would prefer to see a full view of the Joufuu sheath rather than the partial close-up. I need to hit up Bud @bonafide soon for a sheath for my K Apache.

The Masur Birch on Kevin’s knife is very beautiful. I like that the handle cross-section looks thicker than you typically put on similar field models. One nice feature that Kevin didn’t mention is the angled flats on the front of the grip. That makes for a comfortable transition to a pinch grip for fine work or food prep. I hope to see more handles from you with these characteristics in the future.

Congratulations Chris on the great exposure for your amazing work. You deserve to be better known than just by our little Bladeforums fan base.

Phil

16. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    ^+1
    I also picked up a copy and can’t wait for my Vildmark :thumbsup: (also agree that I would have liked to see more pics of the sheath)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Osprey Knife & Tool likes this.
  17. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Congrats, Chris! This should move the needle for you. :thumbsup: I’m glad I found out about you before this issue hit the stands so I could get a couple of custom orders in before you are too swamped to do them. (Although I should have figured it out a little sooner so I could get in on a Vildmark as well! :p)

18. bonafide

bonafide Leather Sheathmaker, JouFuu Leathers Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2013
    Sorry .. I'm not really on BF much. I posted pics of the BushScout Rig with Chris' Vildmark in my Instagram feed back in February and again here recently.

Instagram, @jou_fuu

20180915_235527.jpg

19. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014

Thanks Phil! I am glad you where able to pick up a copy! I would have liked to have seen a better shot of the sheath too, but I am almost certain that the descision to show what picture where was left up to the magazine editor. I think I may beable to scrounge up some pictures that did not make the editors cut!

I do like the new exposure to a wider audience, this is essiential to my continued growth and expansion. You should see more stuff in the near future! However I am thankful and never forgetful of where I cut my teeth. I plan to always stick around here as long as you guys will have me, and enjoy what I do.

Awesome! Thank you for picking up a copy, not only are you supporting me but you are supporting the writer and the magazine as well!

I hope so, Thank you! I am glad you found me too. Busy is good, but I will try to always remain accesible. I am looking forward to the future and plan to keep growing as an individul craftsman and as a company.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Oyster likes this.