Osprey Nest Mung Thread

Discussion in 'Osprey Knife & Tool' started by Osprey Knife & Tool, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Turbodiesel69

Turbodiesel69 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2018
    D.....missed the duh......

2. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014

Sorry about that, I only made one because I did not anticipate many people wanting one with a swedge. I am going to open my books up again after these. So please do not give up. I also hope to try and maintain an informal wishlist again to give me an idea of what peole are looking for.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] with your request and I will put you on a waiting list for the next go round.;)

varga49 likes this.
  3. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm so glad someone sniped the swedged Vilmark. Once I saw that there was a swedged one I thought I was going to have to agonize over whether to get it or a Lil Ferox, but fate has helped decide for me.

varga49 and Osprey Knife & Tool like this.
  4. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Chris, early thoughts for my Ferox (awesome name for that model, btw, love it!) are that I would love some California buckeye burl with black micarta bolster. Is it do-able?

B Griffin likes this.
  5. Osprey Knife & Tool

Osprey Knife & Tool Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2014
    Thank you! @mistwalker suggested the name a few years back, I liked it and it stuck! Pun intended. :D

That is very do-able, and a mighty fine selection! Single or Double Bolster?

varga49, Apocryphiliac and B Griffin like this.
  6. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    Wow, hadn’t even considered a double bolster!!! Would we be able to do something like a 1/8 bolster at each end if going for the double? It’s hard for me to visualize what would look good, actually, having not seen an example of something with this handle profile in a similar configuration.

Also, I’m still not even sure yet that these materials would be my final choice, but if we did go with the buckeye, there is a lot of potential variance in the darkness of the wood. I generally prefer the lighter buckeye burl, and that would be awesome with black micarta, but if it was a darker batch, something like tera cotta might be better.

Osprey Knife & Tool likes this.
  7. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014

I have only made single bolsters on that profile so far,
    A double bolster would end up looking similar to this.
    I have some varying pieces of Buckeye, I do not have any Terra Cotta on hand.

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

varga49, bonafide and Apocryphiliac like this.
  8. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    Wasn’t sure where to put this, but wanted to give a big shout out to @Coach23 who offered to send me his Warthog (Glowhog) to try it out no strings attached. Of course, once I had it to EDC a little, I fell in love with it and realized I had to make it official. A great guy who trusted this random internet stranger to not simply make off with his awesome cutlery, didn’t pressure me at any point to let him know if I was going to pay him for it, and offered too good of a deal on top of that.

Always feels great to make new friends around here. Thanks again, brother!

varga49, Oyster, Warrior108 and 2 others like this.
  9. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014

That was pretty cool and generous, I too find the people in this community (Knife community) to be extremely generous and open. I have made many friends through knives. The fact you got a knife and a friend out of the deal is even better! Thanks for sharing. :D:thumbsup:

This is good a place any IMO, you and anyone else are more than welcome to start a thread if you I have an idea or want to share something you believe deserves its own thread and doesn’t fit in one of the current ones.

10. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    You’re right, Chris, tons of credit to all the awesome people and craftsmen and women in the community. If you think it’s a good use of space, I’d be happy to post these thoughts in an unofficial feedback thread such as the one in the Fiddleback forum.

11. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Have away at it!:D

12. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    Oyster and Osprey Knife & Tool like this.
  13. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    Some amazing combos on today's @Osprey Knife & Tool custom order!!! Really like everyone's idea's!! these should be the bomb!!!

14. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014
    Indeed these are going to be Epic!!!

Oyster likes this.
  15. Oyster

Oyster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 2, 2011
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    I’m counting 17 orders so far...!

Does anyone have a pic of CF with blue in it? Not really sure what it looks like.
    Sounds like it might look nice with some darker DIW burl...?

17. Osprey Knife & Tool

Jun 4, 2014

I have room for more! ;):D

I have a picture somewhere on the threads, I made a Mamushi Blade Show 2017 with it, I will see if I can find it when I get home.

This goes in the other Mung thread :)

18. Oyster

Aug 2, 2011
    Whoops! Sorry! Thought the other one was the wrong one... o_O

19. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    @Odaon You must be getting ready to buy a wedding ring, with that array of ‘Stunning @Osprey Knife & Tool blades you have posted on the Osprey Nest ;)

Odaon likes this.
  20. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Definitely budgetting for a large wedding event next June! Also just generally trying to clear out some knives, gear, and other excess. Making room for the new. Change is good. :thumbsup:

Bmurray and varga49 like this.