Ostrich leg source

Richard338

Gold Member
I am working on a viking sword and I want to think about the handle while the blade is out for heat treat.
I plan to cover a wooden core with leather.
QUAtYWp.jpg

On page 10 in an old thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pattern-welded-sword-wip.620581/page-10, Philip Patton says that he uses Ostrich leather.
I was thinking of doing the same, or possibly even using the leg skin.
It seems that one must buy a huge piece of the leather, whereas the leg is not much bigger than I need for this project.

I was looking at pieces on ostrichmarket.com
Can anyone tell me if this is a good source?
(also please feel free to comment on the suitability of Ostrich leg leather to cover a sword handle).

Thanks.

I
I am working on a viking sword and I want to think about the handle while the blade is out for heat treat.
I plan to cover a wooden core with leather.
QUAtYWp.jpg

On page 10 in an old thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pattern-welded-sword-wip.620581/page-10, Philip Patton says that he uses Ostrich leather.
I was thinking of doing the same, or possibly even using the leg skin.
It seems that one must buy a huge piece of the leather, whereas the leg is not much bigger than I need for this project.

I was looking at pieces on ostrichmarket.com
Can anyone tell me if this is a good source?
(also please feel free to comment on the suitability of Ostrich leg leather to cover a sword handle).

Thanks.
get my ostrich from Jerry VanAmburg jerry@vanamburgleather.com 208-785-0800

Claude, thanks for your reply. Do you suggest leg leather for this purpose? and does Jerry supply that?

Thanks for the suggestions. I spoke with Henry at Ostrichmarket. He is willing to have a small 6"x6" piece of the quill leather cut and also has some of the leg/shin pieces. I will update if/when I get them delivered.

Thanks for the suggestions. I spoke with Henry at Ostrichmarket. He is willing to have a small 6"x6" piece of the quill leather cut and also has some of the leg/shin pieces. I will update if/when I get them delivered.
I would like to see it when your done

I would like to see it when your done
I'll certainly post pics. I do have a slow moving WIP for this project over in shop talk.
Claude, I appreciate your interest. I have many steps still to go, but if I finish it without any major mishaps then I will make a wooden core for a sheath.
I saw some of your work on something similar, and since Bruce Bump gave me your card, I was planning to see if you might be interested in doing the leather part of the sheath...

I'll certainly post pics. I do have a slow moving WIP for this project over in shop talk.
Claude, I appreciate your interest. I have many steps still to go, but if I finish it without any major mishaps then I will make a wooden core for a sheath.
I saw some of your work on something similar, and since Bruce Bump gave me your card, I was planning to see if you might be interested in doing the leather part of the sheath...
Ya lets talk and see what we can come up with Thanks

Australian Emu leg skins look the same as Ostrich. They are not as big but may help you out in the future if Ostrich is not available.

Back