OT Flu and cold medicines...

I recently had da floo...

I didn't take any medication for it and suffered for a week and a half.

Do cold and flu medicines actually shorten or cure such pestilence and plague? Or do they just mask some of the symptoms, making life slightly easier to deal with.

Is it detrimental to take cough medicine because coughing is the body's way of expelling "goop" from the lungs? (In this case goop doesn't mean hooflex although it'll make your horn handles shiny for a few hours :D )

The last time I took medicine for a headache, it didn't work. This may have been because they were m&m's but I don't think they were.

If a cough is productive, an expectorant will assist your body in discharging the 'material' from your lungs. If a cough is non productive, a cough suppresent will assist you in not responding to the cough reflex, which inflames the tissue in the affected area.

Tylenol and other pain medication can lower your body's temperature, I'm not sure why or how, and this helps you fight the thing off. (though high temps often kill germs, they also kill people)

I've come across a theory that cold remedies hurt your body and prolong the time it takes to kill the infection or attack.

I ignore sickness until it really gets bad and then I hit it with everything I've got.

munk

BruiseLeee said:
I recently had da floo...

I didn't take any medication for it and suffered for a week and a half.

Do cold and flu medicines actually shorten or cure such pestilence and plague? Or do they just mask some of the symptoms, making life slightly easier to deal with. .
A few random thoughts...............

"a fly & a flea in a flue
were imprisoned
so what could they do
said the fly, "let us flee"
said the flea, "let us fly"
so they flew through a flaw in the flue."

I went many years of my youth avoiding all meds
even aspirin for headache.
Some idea about keeping excess chemicals out of my body.
I still have some thoughts n that direction
but new thoughts addd.
Prolonged symptoms can cause harm,
even as little as just weakening the body & its defenses.
Loss of sleep can cause harm.
Invalid periods need not be prolonged.
other things in similar vein.

A decongestant can let the body cleanse othre things out.

when for example antibiotics are not used
people who manage to survive a serious illness are still -greatly- weakened.
Recovery is very prolonged
and in some cases is never complete.

~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<>call me
'Dean' :)-FYI-FWIW-IIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TIA-YW-GL-HH-HBD-IBSCUTWS-TWotBGUaDUaDUaD
<> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links--A--T--H--D

Some thoughts, your mileage may vary.

When I have a very bad cough, I take a cough suppressant at night so I can sleep. Codeine makes me sick, so the doctor prescribes hydrocodone. Works great, but is narcotic and addictive. In the daytime, my doctor wants me to cough stuff up, so I take an over the counter decongestant/expectorant. Add tylenol for fever/aches, etc. There are many liquids that contain all 3.

There are some new anti-viral agents that are sometimes prescribed to people that have the flu. Some are listed here FDA . I have no experience with them.

For colds caused by a virus, the only thing that the medical community agrees will shorten the duration and lessen the symptoms is zinc lozenges. The AMA agrees, for what that is worth. One has to begin taking the zinc at the very onset of symptoms. I have found that this actually works,,,,for me at least. My favorite brand of lozenges is distributed by Eckerds pharmacy. It has zinc, vitamin c, and echinacea and is a tropical fruit flavor. They taste much better than most of the others, that's why I like them.

Just my limited experience.

Steve

For colds caused by a virus, the only thing that the medical community agrees will shorten the duration and lessen the symptoms is zinc lozenges. The AMA agrees, for what that is worth. One has to begin taking the zinc at the very onset of symptoms. I have found that this actually works,,,,for me at least. My favorite brand of lozenges is distributed by Eckerds pharmacy. It has zinc, vitamin c, and echinacea and is a tropical fruit flavor. They taste much better than most of the others, that's why I like them.

I've had some luck with these as well, FWIW.

Back