1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT: Help again- Croc Skin from South Africa sheaths? Yes

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by sharpetoys, Mar 11, 2018.

1. sharpetoys

sharpetoys Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2004
    D66666AD-D095-4400-BB41-8095D3E751DA.jpeg E3349D10-F330-4B93-912D-0E41CC85215F.jpeg E8BF84D9-D556-416C-AFB7-443C8A3EB59A.jpeg B93D74E7-8A3E-4C3C-B33B-DED5F6C7DA26.jpeg My dad had this croc skin from South Africa. I know there are some people here that make sheaths and stuff. I just dont know how to price this. Any advice or who may be interested? Do I post in exchange?

2. Murman

Murman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 11, 2015
    One bit of advice, only sell within US unless you have a CITES resources form. It may be illegal to cross national borders without one.

sharpetoys likes this.
  3. COPIUOS

COPIUOS Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Hey there! I am no mod, and I would not post on a knife exchange, and I am sure you will get some PM's regarding this skin.

I concur with Murman on doing your research on selling an international exotic skin - just for your own peace of mind as there are tricky laws about this kind of thing. Animals caught/killed/obtained between certain years can even make a difference, what province etc.

Some sheath makers and even some handle makers who deal regularly with internationally sourced exotic skins, woods and fossils may be a good resource.

Your best resource may come from the following 2 places:

1 - I would research custom western/cowboy belt makers on-line - mom and pop shops who will have time for you and give them a call.

2 - it is hard to find custom boot shops that are "mom and pop" anymore, and they would be a huge help as well. There are some out there, if you look.

The bigger the operation the harder it will be to find someone who will care about your specific situation and give advice you can trust.

I would let them know you are not trying to sell them anything, you are just going through this transition period with your dad's loss and need some honest advice.

If you go "sale-sy" on them, they might be distrustful. They may offer to buy it from you as well.

Also - if you google laws on selling that specific skin, it might be worth it.

Don't mean to cause undue alarm, just don't want you to get inadvertently sideways with this.

Also - the condition of the skin will be something that will affect its value or final use...I don't work leather or skins (I just own a lot of them!), and I would imagine if it is dry and cracking vs pliable and workable, will make a difference.

All the best.

C

sharpetoys likes this.
  4. COPIUOS

COPIUOS Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2015
    cowboy boot makers forums would be a great place too...I am unsure on the best one...

sharpetoys likes this.
  5. sharpetoys

Oct 31, 2004
    Thank you for the information. I didn't even think about it being like fur. I knew about the ivory ban as he has some ivory too but it hadn't even dawned on me that it may be difficult to sell.

6. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    It shouldn't be difficult to sell, but just make sure it's legal.;)

sharpetoys likes this.
  7. Murman

Murman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 11, 2015
  8. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Try contacting Mr. Paul Long(sheathmaker) he is a forum member and specializes in Custom Work. He is active over in "Sheaths and Such".

sharpetoys likes this.
  9. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    BTW I looked up Thaba Kwena. It should go a ways to legitimize the legality. Although may still not be CITES compliant.

Thaba Kwena Crocodile Farm is the largest commercial crocodile farm in South Africa, nestled in the mountains between Bela Bela and Modimolle in Limpopo. With over 10,000 crocodiles in varying sizes and fully guided tours on offer, this experience is not to be missed.

10. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    I looked that place up too, quite the croc farm.

Murman likes this.
  11. sharpetoys

Oct 31, 2004
    I looked it up too and saw that. I wonder how he even purchased this lol

Murman likes this.
  12. sharpetoys

Oct 31, 2004
    Thanks he was very helpful. He said 5-7$ per cm is standard but since i dont know the specifics as to if dyed, sealed etc i should ask 3-5$ per cm. I measured it and its 13 inches at wide point and 43 inches long. So now I just need to figure out cm, I know the conversion but don’t think you calculate the sq ft area so I need to confirm that.

13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Having just finished importing a croc skin (and associated parts) from SA the advice you are getting is sound. That blue tag is the CITES tag (required for export out of SA) and should remain with the skin till it’s final disposition is made. As Inunderstand it you would require a permit to export it and another a permit to import it if you are to sell overseas, keeping it in the US will save you this issue.

Don’t stress about it’s current legality however, it is fine.

hydeinmind, Murman and sharpetoys like this.
  14. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Purdy Kewl! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

sharpetoys likes this.