OT: How often do you guys cut yourselves?

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
Last night while putting a razor's edge on my sarge knife, the little critter skipped off the steel and bite me hard of the side of my index finger coming to a rest on the bone. I dropped the knife, said a few choice words (Ok many choice words), and rushed to the sink as a stream of dark crimson pattered on the drain. "Great. I must of nicked a small vein." A little peroxide and a dab super glue wrapped tight in a gauze with duct tape and I had the situation under control. It just got me thinking. I probably cut myself at least once a month or more. I'm not taking about boo boos, and i'm not talking about severed tendons or 5" gashes. Just good deep cuts. I know several of the cuts would send a lot of non-knife people into a panic with a trip to the ER. I think it's just par for the course.

So, how often do you guys cut yourself? It doesn't have to be khuk related. Also, what's your basic 1st Aid?

Thanks,
Jake

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I cut myself all the time....never bad enough to go to the ER...but probably more than once a month....cut, burn, electrocute, scrape a knuckle - you name it. All part of making knives. I'm to the point now, I only stop if it starts making a mess....then it gets a quick piece of masking tape so I can keep goin'.....

:(

sad but true.

Not very often. Once every few months maybe. I'm probably due for another soon though.

First aid = Hooflex. ;) :rolleyes:

Usually just some soap, water, polysporin and band aids. I've used sugar when polysporin wasn't available.

What do you do with scabs? Do you pick em' off or leave them there till they dry up and fall off? :confused:

After a minor injury I was told by one of the fine forumites here to "Rub some dirt on it.". :D I should look it up and find out who it was. It's one of my favorite responses to seeing other people minorly injured now. :)

Piece of duct tape stops bleeding nicely... at least you stop seeing the blood flow. But wait 'til you peel it off! Arm/leg hair comes with it... :(

My wife nicked herself with my BAS- only knife that's cut us both. "I thought you said it wasn't sharp?" she told me. "It isn't sharp... according to the standards of the forum... of course, it IS still actually quite sharp," I said.

AA :p

P.S. Well, at least nobody seems to be cutting themselves from holding a khuk the wrong way when drawing it (i.e. the required reading safety thread). Accidents happen, dumb shouldn't.

Not often. Occassionally, if I'm tired and not paying the knife enough respect, I will get bit. I consider it a periodic safety reminder.

The last time, closing an old Case folder.

I cut myself two or three times a month with my balisongs. No "anatomy lesson" cuts, just minor nicks and slices. Neosporin and bandaids work for me.

Nicks, about once a month. I am good for a fillet job, hospital trip once or twice a year.

Kismet

Basic Member
Cut myself?

I don't notice unless it becomes inconvenient somehow.

Truly. It's not because I'm tough (gawdknows) but I was "the boy" in a family where everybody worked (mother was a 3rd grade school teacher) and the environment in the house was "If I don't see bone sticking through the skin or puddles of blood, you ARE going to school."

After a while, you just fix it and forget it.

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
I hear ya, Kis.....same for me.

I've had a bum shoulder (left) for a long time and have just "adapted" to it being that way.....complacency rules!:rolleyes: :footinmou

Honestly, I've even looked up a doctor and have his name...but too lazy/forgetful to call.....:(

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
Dan, you and Kis have kinda hit my point right on the head. Last night's cut was pretty nasty by just about anyone's standards. Maybe an inch and a half long, but skidded along the bone and just gushed. To me, it wasn't a panicy situation. Just another annoying cut that required first aid only to keep the blood off my carpet. The whole rub some dirt on it/Walk it off mentality has followed me from my highschool football days. To me, it makes more sense to have a sore finger wrapped in duct tape for a few days, than to take the time out of my day and pay a doctor 80 bucks to sew me up with fishing line. Not so much a money thing as it is a pain to make the time to drive there.

Jake

Steely_Gunz said:
So, how often do you guys cut yourself? It doesn't have to be khuk related. Also, what's your basic 1st Aid?
I probably cut myself every couple months or so. Haven't cut myself with a khuk (yet?).
The last time was at a family event. My extended family went to a pick-your-own apple farm. You can eat them while you're picking, and, as the only knife-carrying person in the group, I was cutting them into pieces for some of the small kids with us. Cut a nice diagonal slice across the pad of my index finger with a Case trapper. After proclaiming to the group "For a guy who likes knives, you sure cut yourself a lot," my wife pulled a couple band-aids out of her pocket. A bit of pressure for a minute, clean-up with some baby wipes, and a couple band-aids wrapped real tight... That was my first aid. Cleaned the blade with a baby wipe and some hand sanitizer, and I was back to apple cuttin'.
It was mentioned "maybe someone else should cut those up." I think they were afraid it would bite again, 'cuz no one else would do it. :p
I also use straight razors, and have cut myself with those. Never while shaving. :eek: Just a couple times while honing & handling them.
Parry

If I get a decent cut, I go for stiches. I usually cut my left hand which is my fretting hand. I don't want any nerve damage that could make playing guitar harder so I go get checked out.

Every couple of months. (But then I try to keep away from sharp objects when tired. [Dan?])

If you keep a cut slathered up with anti-biotic salve, a scab in the usual sense never forms and healing is faster just because the wound never dries.

When I was a kid, the usual treatment for cuts and open blisters was soaking in sea water. It worked.

Tom

Probably once a month or so. Usually, after I get a new knife or sharpen one I shave a bit of hair and then say "gee, I wonder if the weight of the blade would cut my arm" and if it doesn't, I keep pushing until it does :rolleyes:

The other times when I'm cutting up food for supper and forgetting that after 10 years, my knives are finally all sharp thanks to the sharpmaker and pushing too hard or something.

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
on a related note.....

Just got back from the Dentist....

Why do I PAY somebody else to CUT me when I do it myself all the time? :confused: :mad:

Daniel Koster said:
on a related note.....

Just got back from the Dentist....

Why do I PAY somebody else to CUT me when I do it myself all the time? :confused: :mad:

'Cause you love the experience of someone asking you questions when your mouth is so full of junk that you can only make moaning/grunting noises. (Yesterday at 10:00 AM during root-canal: "How are we doing, Mr. Linton?" Mmmmmm. Agghrr." :rolleyes:)

You guys are scaring me here. I just started to get into knives, but hadn't planned on losing much blood in this game. I have no intentions of making any knives anytime soon, so hopefully that will help me stay uninjured for the most part. You see... I play lead guitar in a local band and have done that for almost 20 years. The fingers on my left-hand are pretty precious to me. It's dang hard to play even with a small cut. I'd better wear a leather glove on that hand when "playing" with my knives... ;)