OT Kismet's "Practical Hunter"

I like that A LOT. :eek: Especially the shiny edge. It just looks sharp (and that's always a good thing). :)

Thank you all very much. I am surprised how apprehensive I was about showing this to real humans. It is too easy to sit and look at something and then start to rationalize that it is good work when you live alone. :) When I compare my work to the stuff that real knifemakers, like Pen, Sarge, and others do, I want to lower my head.

Steve? Again...thank you for everything. GREAT friend.

Josh? The apparent swelling at the juncture of thumb rest and false edge is an optical illusion. All the other angles on the blade shape "flow" into one another, so the "harsh" platform of the thumb rest seems to swell, when in fact, you are looking at the meeting of the false edge, the thumb rest, and the taper of the thick center of the blade shape formed to flow up. Along most of its length, the blade is almost a full 1/4 inch thick, but shaped for the various edges.

There is a structural thickness intentionally left at the mid-point of the bend of the blade, where one might press down; this is the transition point between the front bevel and the blade's slicing edge.

Rusty? BRILLIANT IDEA !!! The chevrons would be perfect! Maybe on the thumb rest area?

As for the order? If I have to, I'll order two (somehow) and get the BirGorkha version by REAL craftsmen over here.

Thank you all for your generous spirits.

Kis

OK now.

How do we get the ball rolling on getting this knife made??? I'd like to have it before bow season rolls in! :D

Semp

I would suggest Steve hold onto it until Uncle is back and give him a few days.

When he reads this thread he can ask that Steve send it to him to be forwarded to BirGhorka, etc. Or he may ask for a wood model. The thing is to let Bill do it at his discretion.

I don't know that Bill is a grouchy old man lately. I do know with the pills and pain relievers he sure isn't having much fun. Allow him a bit of time to do things gracefully.

Speaking of Uncle, time to light up another stick of incense for him. Gentlemen, if you got smoke, light 'em up.

Rusty?

Works for me. If Steve hasn't packaged it up to send to me already, he can hang on to it. If not, I'll send it on to Bill.

The knife itself has to go, I couldn't do this again! :rolleyes:

I await your instruction, Rusty. The priority is Bill. We all have knives.

And, since I know Bill's illness affects YOUR well-being, take very good care of yourself, as well. OK? OK.

Kis

Caught it just in time. Boxed up and in the truck to go to town tomorrow. I'll hold off for now.

Steve

Thanks much, guys. Small courtesies make big differences during crises/stressful experiences. I'm saying this as a reminder to myself as much as to other forumites.

Looks great, Kis. I'm sorry I can't offer any help on this one....:(

Hope Uncle's feeling better today...

Not to worry, Pen. You were busy "road-trippin'." Where are you going to post your report for the class on the Blade show? Did you take pictures?

So far, I'm delighted that some folks like it. Now I just wait and see.

Kis

BTTT

Sending email to Uncle - what to do with the prototype.

Steve and Kismet? Bill has responded, he can send it but no guarantees.
Copy of email response with cc's to both of you sent. So come early next week, send the prototype off to the same place you send all your money. Who knows? To quote a line from Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein,
" It-could-work!!! "

My e-mail to Steve bounced, so am posting here. If you read this, send the prototype to Bill.

Back