OT: Question about Gun Show purchase

So I'm at this gun show this evening and there's a few nice things there and I end up buying this little .22 pump kind of gallery rifle thing. Amazingly it is made by Taurus whom I thought made only pistols and I looked it up on their web site. It's a Model 62. I can't see that it was ever fired unless somebody really cleaned it up but it looks almost like a toy, with a 16" or so barrel.

I'll shoot it tomorrow but wondering if anybody has one of these? Do you like it? The action seems great the stock is real pretty and the sights seem ok too. Anybody know if they shoot decent?

They shoot fine, they're well liked; and as a copy of a popular gun made in America many decades ago, they should be.

munk

If it's the rifle I'm thinking of, it is an improved clone of the famous winchester rifle. Two friends, one in Wisconsin, and one in Illinois have one and they each love them.

I think they are take-down into two pieces, have fewer caliber choices than the original Winchesters, but put a huge amount of fun back in plinking and shooting.

Stretching now...something about...Taurus didn't buy the rights from Winchester, but from somebody else...dunno.

Should be a hoot.

Be well and safe.

I have the same rifle. Shoots as well, or better than I do. I've only run about a box of shells thru it, but so far, I like it. Fun little plinking/squirril gun.

Bill Sanders said:
I have the same rifle. Shoots as well, or better than I do. I've only run about a box of shells thru it, but so far, I like it. Fun little plinking/squirril gun.

Cool. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow. I need to find more tin cans.

Has anyone noticed it is harder to find tin cans since so much stuff is in plastic? If it wasn't for the alcoholics round here throwing beer cans out I'd have nothing to plink;)

Take down, yes, I wondered about that with the big screw on it. Thanks a LOT for the info guys. I always know where to ask. Funny I get quicker and as good or better gun info here than most gun forums:thumbup:

Bill/HH you go back soon right?? Take care of yourself and check in!

Hollow,
I was planning this Christmas to get the Savage Favorite .22 single shot in the take down variation. They cost about 200.00 Those Taurus .22's are tempting as well.

munk

And you can load 20+ shorts or CB caps in it. .22 autos are popular, but there's a lot to be said for pumps and levers- .22 shotshells, shorts and other things that won't cycle in an auto work fine. Like my sub-audible Aguila Colibri .22 ammo. :D Nary a sound is heard.

Ad Astra

Was that loaded through the butt stock ? It is a moot point really . I have the most precise 22 in the world . Its a little old Nylon 66 . I can shoot better with it than most people can shoot sitting down .

I've got the Winchester version of it I believe, I love it. I especially love how I can hold down on the trigger and it will shoot everytime I pump the action, sort of semi-auto/full auto:D It's amazing how fast you can get shots off that way:eek:

munk said:
Hollow,
I was planning this Christmas to get the Savage Favorite .22 single shot in the take down variation. They cost about 200.00 Those Taurus .22's are tempting as well.
munk

I THINK I saw one of those once and thought they were totally cool. Actually I have looked for them since and never seen one if it's what you are talking about.

Real tiny little rifle about like this one and a falling block? Looks like a real old fashioned gun? Really beautiful.

One of my favorite stubbies I have is a New England Handi Rifle with a bull barrel in .22 Hornet. Love the gun, love the caliber but hardly never shoot it cause .22 Hornet is fairly expensive. You can get .22 7.62x54 and 39 so much cheaper so I end up using them.

Hollow?

I think you can get that hornet re-bored to .223 fairly inexpensively, and have a boatload of cheap ammo available. Worth an inquiry.

Don't know the differences in ballistics, though. I don't believe you'd be giving much up; might be wrong.

Kismet,

I believe you can buy a .223 barrel for these but for some reason I remember seeing one in the store that had a label on it saying NOT to use milsurp, which would kind of defeat the purpose. Also I believe you have to send the gun back to New England Arms to get the extra barrell fitted.

I have been shooting it (and other stuff) today. Just about got it sighted in. It's a great tin can shredder:thumbup:

Pics here:
http://ramanon.com/forum/showthread.php?p=404371#post404371

munk said:
Hollow,

munk

Last year I was looking to get my son a single shot .22 as his first gun (its what i learned on). It ended up being much cheaper to buy a used but almost perfect Ruger 10/22 (the SAK of rimfires) just because they are so plentiful. You don't need a permit for a gun in Vermont, but theres not all that many places or selection available. We're just too small.

I think somebody reading this thread emailed me a question about Vermont gun laws and I deleted it before I responded. If you want to post or send me another email I'd be glad to answer. Sorry.:eek:

It's a descent copy of a Stevens made in the 1920's I have an all original 1922 model, it's wonderful 22. The Taurus comes in two barrel lengths and I think you can get it in stainless or is that the Ruger version?

The Brazilaian made model 62 (itself based on an American design) was being made by the Rossi company for quite some time. Later, Rossi ran into some financial difficulties, and somehow the Taurus company (also of Brazil) ended up with the Rossi 62 design. The major difference that I noticed between Rossi and Taurus model 62's, is that Taurus added a manual safety that they located on top of the bolt (unsightly IMO).
Personally, and it's just my opinion, I like the look of the traditional standard half cock safety found on Rossi and original American specimens. It's more of a visual thing for me. With that said, I would have to imagine that the new Taurus safety, though definitely looking like an after-thought, is a safer system than just having the old half cock safety.

One of the only reasons that a Rossi model 62 would be returned by a customer, is not that they did not function properly, but that many were very tight in their assembly, and folks would oftentimes find it impossible to take them down (they were designed to be easily taken down into two pieces). They would take a coin to loosen the side receiver screw, follow the instructions to take the gun down........ and they could not do it! This was most times a need to just be patient with them during their tight break in period, but other times they would have to be sent back to correct this problem (some would simply not come apart). Rossi 62's were usually very good performers, and I would imagine that the Taurus follows them in that arena.

Yea, the safety on top disables the firing pin, but not the action. I cycled a few rounds thinking the pin was broken before I realized the safety was on:foot: Shoots good and is very fun! I haven't tried to break it down though.

They make a tang peep sight you can add to it apparently. I'll for sure get that cause I love peep sights.:thumbup:

So....can anyone explain to me how this one got back in this forum?

That's the bad thing I suppose about segregation...the lines get changed at whim...

Nice thread...just trying to figure out how things work.

Nasty said:
So....can anyone explain to me how this one got back in this forum?

That's the bad thing I suppose about segregation...the lines get changed at whim...

Nice thread...just trying to figure out how things work.

I think it was just overlooked Uwinv. Corrected now and in proper forum.;)

Back