OT: Somedays it just doesn't pay to be a moose.

Can you get shocked with just one electrical line? I thought you had to touch two of them or else wouldn't we see a lot more well done birds at the bottom of electriacal poles? Once again, i'm ignorant to many, many things.

Jake

Munk?

I think it is fair to say he was surprised.

Kis :D
Enjoy every sandwich

The moose was alive when it was lowered to the ground but was later killed when officials from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game decided against tranquilizing it to remove the wires because they were worried the moose, already stressed, would die and the meat would not be salvageable as a result of the drugs.
This is the most telling part......:eek:

Absolutely Amoozing......

I am embarassed to admit.....that was my first thought too....."Hey, look! Free moose-burgers for a month!"

Steely_Gunz said:
Can you get shocked with just one electrical line? I thought you had to touch two of them or else wouldn't we see a lot more well done birds at the bottom of electriacal poles?
You almost got it, Jake.

Check out this link for an interesting article:

http://www.word-detective.com/howcome/birdsonwires.html

Basically, the bird doesn't "interrupt" the current flowing through the wire. If there's "x" voltage where the bird's left foot is touching the wire, there's still nearly "x" voltage where it's right foot touches the wire and no current flows through the bird.

The danger comes in holding a wire in one hand/paw/hoof/antler/claw and touching a "ground".....which can be anything that is not already "live" with electricity flowing through. You suddenly give the electrons a place to go and they're like "Woohoo! Check out this wave, surfer dudes!" Bzzzzt.....

Sadly, three workers died (in a town nearby) last week installing a tent for a charity race. Touched a tent pole to a wire overhead. Powerfully dangerous stuff we live with.

I read about the moose in another forum and it's my understanding that the crew was putting up a new line so it wasn't carrying any power. They discovered the moose when the machine they were pulling the wire with didn't "feel" right so they went back and investigated and found the moose hanging about 50 feet above the ground by his antlers.
You'd be stressed too if you were hung up by a certain part of yer anatomy.:rolleyes: :p :D :D :D :D :eek:

Back