Out of Production

I didn't think I wanted a 15, but - found one on the Exchange, bought as much for the Micarta scales as I did to give it a go. I have more 15s than any other knife now. Doesn't get any more perfect for nearly everything I need a knife for. Customized one of 'em; goes with me damn near every day (in a fine sheath made by Nick). There's another that resides on my fishing pack thanks to Nikki; then there's the mobile one - got 15 sheaths laced to a couple packs so no matter which one I take, there is a place for it. Only thing I've done to the stock 15 is add liners to beef up the grip. No, I don't have big hands...just more comfortable, IMO.

My daily carry, with katalox scales and maple "liners", brass pins, file worked handle and spine. Thinned out the edge, too - it's a wicked slicah. I'm starting to understand trailing points, tho I can see (I don't understand, but I get it) why they don't sell, which is a shame. It's the one knife I'll have on me should the SHTF.

31549342366_2a0325f435_b.jpg

maple scales. oooh. i could make that now... got a planer. mmm.

walnut scales? mmm...

Best out of production?
5, 15, 17, 21, 29, 98, and kitchen set.
I never found a way to truly love the 4 or the 6, but I finally got my hands on Todd Hunt's authorized tribute mash-up, the so-called "Patrol Machax." I am totally on board with that one.

The 21 is amazing. Not sure how I forgot to list it previously. Also agree about the kitchen set. Christine prefers using them over some of our more expensive kitchen knives.

I should have gotten in on the kitchen set. Plenty of opportunities, just didn't pull the trigger.

Best out of production?
5, 15, 17, 21, 29, 98, and kitchen set.
I never found a way to truly love the 4 or the 6, but I finally got my hands on Todd Hunt's authorized tribute mash-up, the so-called "Patrol Machax." I am totally on board with that one.
Cant find any info on the patrol machaxe, is he still making them?

I didn’t realize the BK21 was out of production.

Every knife we put in to production we expect to be part of the product lineup for a long time. The only reason we discontinue items is due to poor sales. The cause and effect is generally once an item goes away, people wish they bought it. There are knives I have absolutely loved that we have had to discontinue due to poor sales. When you are working in mass production and there are only so many seats at the table so to speak, the difficult decision to discontinue a product has to be made. The moral of the story is if you want a knife, buy it. There is nothing worse than missing out and having to buy it later on an auction site at a much higher price.

Yes, its very true, get a knife you want or like. I got my BK 4 sensing I might like it. Its very versatile and is the take along to do every thing knife if weight is a factor or standard take a long in case of trouble knife. Like storm knocking trees down on back roads and such. I did the same with the BK5 thinking it might be the BK 4 grab, some thing I didn't quite like, but its handles make it work great with no thumb ramp it does work I found for big critter cutting up so I'm keeping it. I would of traded it or gifted it away if I really didn't like it, but I found a use for it, and its secondary use for slicing about any thing is still useful. I think I saw a BK5 listed for over 200 on some site, yep still there, proving that the getting for me when I got it was a good idea at the time.

[QUOTE="Bladite, post: 18434240, member: 126525]this is the future. higher prices for sprint runs.

the "extras" were a free gift. if they do the 20/29 again, the price would be the same (even higher), and it is perfectly fair i think.[/QUOTE]

I loved the 20&29! Unfortunately, I've been out of work due to the need for a new hip...after I drop 100 pounds. Needless to say, I never had a spare $200 lying around. I really hope both of these knives become available again (I loved the accidental 29; reminded me of a modern Iron Mistress). I was lucky enough get a 5 before they were gone. I complained about the thinner blade stock upon arrival. Boy was I wrong! it has since become one of my top 5 users!

Last edited:
There is no excuse for going without a machete if the need exists. The whole world uses some form of machete. Catalogs are choked with them. Picking the right one, ... well.

I wanted to love the BK-6, but it was too small and thick for me. I need reach and speed in my machete.

maple scales. oooh. i could make that now... got a planer. mmm.

walnut scales? mmm...

I got some regular size scales roughed out - patterned, but not shaped or drilled - if you want 'em. Also have some wickedly figured walnut crotch that looks like it should be stabilized before use - a task which I am unlikely to get to in the next decade - if you want a piece of that for scale making. I think walnut would look nice, and it's not nearly as heavy or hard to shape as the katalox. Do eet.

Love my 15

ueHdCcG4dJfNc2anprM_scy9V3WA0z1QWsfngD1a9xA.jpg

As well you should - that's gawgeous. Are those copper liners? The only way that'd look better is if it had some patina from use, IMO.

I'm 6'3'' with Orangutan arms when I swing one of my 6s you can hear a sonic boom. Reach and Speed:D

Well....I'm 5'9" with arms of a 6'3" orangutan and a I hate to say this, but I was underwhelmed with the Patrol Machete. I'll admit I'm no expert at using machetes (or any other knife, FWIW) but I felt that even with the reach, the sweet spot was really narrow and kinda unforgiving. My impression was that it would be more than a little fatiguing to swing for a day of bushwacking. Don't get me wrong - Ethan's handles are awesome - but a traditional machete handle has evolved, borne out of function, to be optimally efficient for all day use, and just feels more comfortable to me. I also like the thinner blades of a traditional machete - also less fatiguing. I'm keeping my Brute - it's reasonably useful now that it has a cutting edge - but I wouldn't go looking for a Patrol Machete as a user, and I'm not a safe queen sort of collector.

I didn't get a 29, as I already had the Bundock - but my thoughts after using the 29 (Bladite's, IIRC) was that the differences were slight. I'd say bring back the RBK - except it's still in production. DON"T WAIT to get one - the biggest of the Beckers is an absolute power trip and joy to use. Ethan's scales and Hank Reinhardt's blade are the perfect combo, IMO. Still available semi-regularly for a steep discount from a certain group buy site...

I still have a Magnum Camp in the box, which pains me - but I have a user, courtesy of Ethan and Ka-Bar, from the first Gathering I attended. Never forced myself to carry it exclusively for a weekend, so....dunno why, but the 5's blade size and profile make me want to scale down the handle a bit - or maybe scale up a tweener handle - to make it speak to me. Perhaps I'll get to that with my user. Todd (Hunt) did an awesome re-work of a 5, which is pretty much why I have kept the boxed 5 - I won't do nearly the job he did, but it keeps me thinking about the possibility that I would love it if I modified it.

If I wasn't clear on this before :rolleyes:, the 15 is the only one of Ethan's/Jerry's designs I wish Ka-Bar hadn't discontinued. I mean, for allay'all that don't have one - I have 4, so I think I'm good - I feel bad for the newer 'Heads that won't get the chance to use one, or pay thru the nose to obtain one.

Rambling opinions over.

30998393788_19e00c80f2_b.jpg

43981296511_81a3c7a25d_b.jpg

I grew up using machetes exclusively they are second nature to me. Its all about angle of attack to the object your cutting. When it comes to the 6 You dont have to hit the sweet spot but let the branch/vine drag down the blade/edge untill it gets bunched up against the curve and the magic happens. If I cant hold the branch/vine with my support hand then I swing at an angle that forces the branch/vine to pull against its own resistance, meaning not towards its main trunk but away from its main trunk. Its hard to describe in words. Banana trees, sugar cane, and saplings are a breeze. Vines with waitaminute thorns not so much lol

Back