Outdoor Hiking Goodie Bag

I'm taking the son and a few friends out camping and hiking this weekend for his birthday and I'm thinking about putting a little outdoor goodie bag together for them and was looking for suggestions. I was thinking about getting some fanny packs and putting some survival items in it. I was thinking about 55 gal bright orange trash bag, orange bandana, maybe and Opinel pocket knife, whistle, but looking for suggestions. Thought about maybe a canteen. Can't afford to spend too much but would like to get them started on a carry pack of sorts. Just looking for ideas.

Give them stuff to mess with in the woods. Magnifying glasses, inexpensive monocular, canteen, bug catching stuff, whistles. I would skip the survival gear. Most of it will go unused. But look for items that help them experience nature more. Kid friendly field guides, hobo fishing kit and of course snacks!

I always find that glowsticks go down well with the kids, and ditto everything else above. Not too young to start learning to use a compass either. Hope you all have fun :)

Get them some of those LED emergency flares/flashlight combination and watch them go bananas at night!

All of the above, add a Boy Scout fire striker, some basic firestarting materials, teach them (and provide materials) to build a hobo fishing kit, small compass to teach basic navigation, whistle & mirror to teach signalling, perhaps the small $1 photon type flashlights, the standard Mora red handle knives will work for years (teach them how to strop them sharp)...perhaps hanks of paracord to start teaching them knots.

It's the education that you can give them to use for the rest of their lives that will matter the most in the end and some day maybe have them teaching their own kids "like Gramps used to do with me"

I think a magnifying glass is a great idea. An inexpensive and good quality knife is a must. A canteen and maybe matches. You can show them a few ways to start a fire, and maybe take a real close look at any bugs or plants you find. A canteen is a good idea because it'll emphasize the importance of water.
Glow sticks are always fun for kids. Maybe some graham crackers and marsh mellows too :D

I'd say the number one item would be a canteen. I've been working with kids a long time, and nothing kills the fun like a little dehydration headache. Knives and fire if you think they are responsible enough, otherwise there is no harm in making those an "only when Dad's around" thing.
Big orange trashbag for signaling and shelter is a great idea too, a 9 year old can get pretty lost not far from camp if they get geographically mis-placed, and anything that makes the finding easier makes for a better time for everyone.
flashlights are good, glowsticks are cheap as well, and a good night signal if a fire is a no-go.

As for the fun stuff toys like binocs and magnifying glass, those are great! there is a lot to be learned out in the woods, and the more he can learn, and explore the more he'll want to be out there, than inside in front of the TV later in life.
Even if he wanders around with a small backpack filled with stuff, if it's his stuff, and its cool stuff (half the forest of twigs, leaves and bugs!) he should be having fun. you might have to carry it on the way home, but those are lifetime memories. My dad had to start putting limits on my rock collecting, or he would have been able to re-gravel the driveway with the rocks I asked him to carry for me once my pockets got full!

...all good ideas. how about a bandana? cheap. and, it's useful. and they are fun to play with too. can show them all the different ways to cover the head with it. i also like to give kids those knot cards...the playing cards that show how to tie different knots. can play with it during down time.

speaking of downtime around the fire...i got one...one that seems like such a good idea...until about the 3rd night...what about a harmonica?? :eek: :D

have fun with the boys.

I would give each kid one inexpensive item such a Bandana, magnifying glass, whistle, etc.

Bring a saw and show them how to use it. Some string or paracord is fun to play with, maybe cut each of them a stick or have them make bows and arrows.

My kids (5 and 9) love it when I pull out a buck saw, machete, hatchet and show them how to use them. Last weekend my son and his friends each took turns using a saw and tomohawk.

I also loaded them up in the back of my p/u and took them for a ride on the dirt roads. I later heard that was the highlight of the trip!

Good luck,

At that age, a slingshot is indispensable. Maybe teach them how to shoot with safety at some soda cans.

start teaching them knots.

Climbing shops will usually sell you climbing rope (eg 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11mm) by the metre/yard. A two metre/yard length is plenty, and the thicker diameter is great for learning knots.

start teaching them knots.

Climbing shops will usually sell you climbing rope (eg 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11mm) by the metre/yard. A two metre/yard length is plenty, and the thicker diameter is great for learning knots.

An alternative to buying whistles might be to teach them how to make a simple whistle out of sycamore or similar.

Been thinking about it and even though it's not really part of a "survival" kit, I was thinking getting each one of those disposable cameras might be cool. Have kind of a contest of who gets the neatest picture. It will get them to slow down and look at nature more and maybe develop a love for the outdoors. Then starts the collection of all the tools. I'm also going to look for some sort of small sack or pack so that they can collect items along the trail. I've got some sticks drying to make walking sticks and I may take those and let them make or customize them or maybe get some sort of handles from the hardware store that they could paint and decorate for a customized walking stick. I know, at least from experience from my son, they probably won't take things too serious but the more fun I can make it the more likely they will want to get out in the wild again.

for the cost of developing, and the fun of it, there are quite a few reasonably decent (cell phone grade) digital point and shoots on the market. Then you get more than 30 shots.

Back