Outdoor Weekend Report JUNE 9,10,11

Brian77

Gold Member
June 9,10,11 An invitation to an outdoor weekend.
The bacon is ready and the chicken is here. But we can freeze it! I hope it suits all of you in June, and maybe others can now come as well. Let me know....

We are hosting a knife people and outdoors fun weekend at our camp this weekend. RAIN DATES JUNE 9,10,11

See this thread in the Becker forum for more info.... Anyone in the region, that would like to come?

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mid-west-“get-together”-for-outdoors-and-knife-people-may-19-20-21.1475998/

Brian

Last edited:
Greetings, I wanted to put this up awhile ago. I am hosting a knife people and outdoors fun weekend at our camp this weekend. May 19, 20, and 21.

See this thread in the Becker forum for more info.... Anyone in the region, that would like to come?

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mid-west-“get-together”-for-outdoors-and-knife-people-may-19-20-21.1475998/

Brian
Those pics of the Ozarks really bring back memories from long time ago. I grew up in KC and as a kid, spent a part of every summer at Osceola, which is only about 60 mi from Stover. Call it around 1963-64, teaching the younger kids to canoe on the Osage, ride horses, great times. I even remember getting into a fight in Iconium , LOL. Thanks for the memories here, Brian!

Bob

Edit: After I saved the above post, I remembered something I hadn't thought about in decades. In 1963, I did the Lake Garnett Grand Prix, which turned out to be a VERY VERY different memory, the 1963 Lake Garnett Riot. Again, thanks for the memories, Brian!

Last edited:
Those pics of the Ozarks really bring back memories from long time ago. I grew up in KC and as a kid, spent a part of every summer at Osceola, which is only about 60 mi from Stover. Call it around 1963-64, teaching the younger kids to canoe on the Osage, ride horses, great times. I even remember getting into a fight in Iconium , LOL. Thanks for the memories here, Brian!

Bob

Would love to meet you sometime, Bob. You ever get over here for something, look us up.

Would love to meet you sometime, Bob. You ever get over here for something, look us up.
Until last year, I traveled to Kansas City several times a year to visit my mother, but with her passing, (as happens to us all), I no longer visit. We have loads of cousins spread throughout Missouri, primarily around Fulton and Mexico. But as distant as they are, it's been years. If I ever get back, I'll take you up on the offer, and find a way to get a Hanson or two involved.

Bob

Looks like it will be a great time. I would certainly come if I was in the area. I have actually hosted a couple of similar camping events at my land in WV, and it has been a tremendous amount of fun.

UPDATE RAIN DATES June 9,10,11 An invitation to an outdoor weekend.

WE are rescheduling due to a forecast calling for several inches of rain over Friday, and Saturday. I apologize for the inconvenience. The bacon is ready and the chicken is here. But we can freeze it! I hope it suits all of you in June, and maybe others can now come as well. Let me know....

It's this weekend. Anyone here within driving distance? All the carve your own bacon, and BBQ chicken you can eat on Saturday. Pics to follow!

Man that sounds great, I wish I were able to get up there for this!

The weather this weekend was great.

Yes, it was a relaxing and fun, and informative time. Thanks 1066vik for all your help and knowledge sharing and stories.
Visit this thread for a longer report from 1066vik.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mid-west-“get-together”-outdoor-weekend-june-9-10-11.1475998/page-3

Eric arriving and unloading.
srrWMzyl.jpg

The hike along stream.
swByNfB.jpg

One of the springs that come out of the rock.
XkBNlICl.jpg

Bacon and Chaga tea. (seeped all night over the fire.)
pM2usKTl.jpg

Testing some bacon knives. The 5 was "Fisked" to a 20 degree. Very pleased with the results for food work.

The Natahn Light chopper did excellent. It was a better blade shape and length then the 5 for this task I thought. A racing Chopper would be even better. I wish I had one.

VvhLNcQl.jpg

Y5byuorl.jpg

Comparing and looking....
psGXV5xl.jpg

Breakfast (Eggs, home made bacon, shoulder bacon, bannock and butter, and steak.)
2j0aqfil.jpg

4hpdjsBl.jpg

1mxPFVkl.jpg

Saturday supper....
0hk79Pdl.jpg

kDEJP9Ol.jpg

A boy plays with fire in a stump...
T6AqWWbl.jpg

Learning the BK 29.
fCAdxDZl.jpg

Hope to do it again this fall or early winter. And make more friends and share some outdoor time and love of things sharp.

Last edited:
I had to look that one up :( . So...Mushroom tea :confused: ? How does it taste? Do you add sugar to the brew o_O ?

Chaga is something that grows on Yellow Birch trees. I ma not an expert. But on the bushcraft forums, it is well known and discussed for its multi use benefits. It's an excellent fire-starter, and a herbal tea source, a possible medicine, and others.

My brother has a large farm in northern Maine on the New Brunswick line, and vast woods. When we visit we look for Chaga on our hikes, along with birch bark, and other "north woods" bush craft fun stuff. (He thinks we are a little our of our minds.) This Chaga was the first big chuck we have ever found. It was the size of a softball. It's rock hard, and bright orange yellow inside. You can chunk it with a knife, and grind it in a coffee pot. Or pulverize it with your knife, or shave it.

As a fire starter, it will take a spark, and start much like char cloth. As a tea, it is best steeped for many hours. Otherwise it's so mild to make it not worthwhile. Overnight, it gets dark like coffee. And it has a hint of maple syrup type taste. It's slightly sweet, and mild, not bitter at all. As a "mountain man" that had only water for a long period, this would have been a nice change for a hot drink. We drink it as it is, and no one that has tried it, has objected. I am not a tea person, but it's fun to make for the historic and outdoor events, and share it for the experience.

Here us is being ground up with a knife.
IRGGXqwl.jpg

rtjRzDil.jpg

I wish I was a little closer.. I'd love to geek out with a bunch of other knife nerds. I don't know anyone who appreciates knives enough to get together and talk about them. I have several blades that haven't seen any action yet, and I'd love to have a chance to get to use them and discuss in person.

I had to look that one up

I researched it last year after Brian got me interested in it. There was some mixed argument on the internet about whether it could be found only on birch, and so I thought maybe I might find it on our quaking aspen. I may be wrong, but now believe true chaga is indeed isolated to birch. I also am not an expert. Sadly, if it is out here in our forest, I have yet to find it. Birch is not something that we are blessed with here in quantity.

Back