Outlook Express and Kaspersky Anti-virus. Help please!

RobbW

Gold Member
For a full day now my Outlook Express receives email just fine, but won't send. I get this message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10057, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I look up this error on the Microsoft online help site and it tells me Port 25 is blocked. I can't imagine why, but I suspect it is my Kaspersky. Sure enough, I go to Kaspersky "application rules" and the box next to "Outlook Express" Block is checked. All my other applications are checked "Allow".

So, I uncheck the "OE" Block and I "send" mail just fine. My question is, is this the proper fix? And do I open myself up to vulnerabilities by unchecking the Block?

Thanks for insights and information.

RobbW

Gold Member
Addendum: I just went to the grc.com website, had my ports analyzed, and port 25 still tests out as "stealth" instead of "open" or "blocked". I assume this is good news?

In order to send mail, you need to connect to smtp.comcast.net on port 25.

I think the setting in Kaspersky is to block Outlook Express from doing anything or maybe just sending mail. If your port 25 is "stealth" then it means that incoming connections on port 25 are blocked on your machine. When you send mail, your machine makes a connection to the mail server's port 25. It has no effect on port 25 on your own machine.

In other words, it sounds like you allowed Outlook Express to send mail but your own machine is still protected.

RobbW

Gold Member
OK, thanks, sounds like I did the right thing. It's working now--I just wanted to verify that I was also protected as much as possible.