1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Outstanding Scrapyard Dogfather Knife Compared To Other Res-C Handle Choppers

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Azula Gun Holsters, May 9, 2019.

1. Azula Gun Holsters

Azula Gun Holsters KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 19, 2016
    I was surprised how well balanced and powerful the Res-C Dogfather felt in the hand. This one had been bead blasted and sharpened by Josh at Razor Edge Knives and is really sharp.
    Should be an outstanding chopper and should be close in performance to the Busse Basic 11.
    Stand by, chopping test coming up soon.

Weights for the following knives:
    Scrapyard 1311 18.5 ounces
    Busse BB13 SR101 21.4 ounces
    Scrapyard 1111 20.9 ounces
    Busse Basic 11 16.9 ounces
    Scrapyard Dogfather 19.7 ounces

SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TOP TO BOTTOM
    Scrapyard 1311
    Busse BB13 SR101
    Scrapyard 1111
    Busse Basic 11
    Scrapyard Dogfather
    [​IMG]

Stump Buster, Béma, dogboye and 6 others like this.
  2. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Because it is a sabre grind and thicker than the B11 it might actually be heavier. Should be interesting to see how they compare.

WatermanChris and MacLaren1 like this.
  3. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Dang, that's purdy

WatermanChris likes this.
  4. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Nice. I let my B11 go, because I did not like the grooves on the sides as much. Wish I still had it.

The Dogfather has a great blade shape and profile, and the slightly bigger milled our hande shape without the side grooves. So I like it!!

5. Ironkid883

Ironkid883 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 29, 2018
    lovin the res c myself .
    the dogfather is on my list .compared to micarta it just soaks up the shock love it nice strip job on it too

6. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Would love to see the DF in INFI. It is much more of a mistress than the larger Basics like the B9 and B10 which are both nice, but lack the blade width of a mistress. The DF has that width

7. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    The DogFather is a great knife, and what a GREAT name!;)...…………….:D:thumbsup:

Béma, WatermanChris and Ironkid883 like this.
  8. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    That's a fine group of knives! :cool: Thank you for the photos and weights too. :thumbsup:

Nice looking work on the DF by Josh (@razor-edge-knives )! I'm sure with the new edge and the extra weight, the DF will out-chop the B11 and maybe even the 1111 (with the factory edge).

9. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I sent my Basic 11 in to have the handle swapped to the other style. I don’t have it anymore, though.

10. Azula Gun Holsters

Azula Gun Holsters KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 19, 2016
    Getting ready to put three of the knives to the test.

This 1111 was sharpened on the AMK-75 and is as sharp as the Dogfather. The B-11 needs go on the AMK-75 so all three edges will be super sharp for a chopping test.
    Put the calipers on all three blades today just in the front of the handle
    1111 Measured .270 and weighs 20.9 ounces
    B11 Measured .269 and weighs 16.9 ounces
    Dogfather measured .270 and weighs 19.7 ounces
    This can be misleading as the B-11 blade is thinned out compared to the 1111 and Dogfather blades.

The B-11 feels the lightest, the Scrapyard 1111 feels nose heavy and the Dogfather feels very well balanced.

looking forward to the chopping test.
    TOP TO BOTTOM
    SCRAPYARD 1111
    BUSSE B11
    SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER
    [​IMG]

Almost forgot how sharp the Scrapyard 1111 was. Was very pleased to see it felt as sharp on a paper test cut as the sharpened Dogfather.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  11. zmbhntr

zmbhntr ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿ Platinum Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I'm glad that it was you that bought that knife! I had been very tempted to pull the trigger on it myself. Thanks for sharing your opinions on it, and I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your test.

12. Azula Gun Holsters

Sep 19, 2016
    Put the B-11 on the AMK-75 sharpener at 18.5 degrees per side. Turned out very sharp and cut the paper with ease. Very pleased that it felt as sharp as the Scrapyard Dogfather on the paper test cuts. All three knives are now very sharp and ready for the chopping test.

BUSSE B11 WITH SHARP EDGE
    [​IMG]

BUSSE B11 and SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER
    [​IMG]

BUSSE B11, SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER and SCRAPYARD 1111 READY FOR SOME CHOPPING.
    [​IMG]

13. Azula Gun Holsters

Sep 19, 2016
    Put the 15.1 ounce trash 2 on the sharpener at 18 degrees per side. Really love the trash 2 as a great all round camp knife.

Though I would give it a run against the Dogfather on some dried out 2x8. Did quite well and almost hung in with the Dogfather. The wood was really hard and both are still really sharp after the chopping but you can feel a couple of sticky spots on a paper test cut.

B11 and Scrapyard 1111 test cutting coming up soon

SCRAPYARD TRASH 2 ON THE LEFT AND SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER ON THE RIGHT AFTER A LITTLE CHOPPING
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 1:44 PM
  14. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    I really wish the Boss would do a LE ASH2

hydeinmind likes this.
  15. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Just looking at the size of those cuts it looks to me like the Trash 2 actually beat the Dog Father. Was that an equal number of swings?

16. Azula Gun Holsters

Sep 19, 2016
    No , was not an equal number of swings. Had just put an edge on the trash 2 and wondered how it would chop so gave it a go then figured I would try out the Dogfather as well. Was just some random chopping to get a feel for the knives. That was some hard lumber and was really impressed how well the Trash 2 chopped as it is quite light.

Will have an actual comparison coming up with equal number of swings with the Trash 2, Dogfather, B11 and 1111

clampdaddy likes this.
  17. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    I believe the feel that you get from chopping is worth more than actual counted stroke comparisons anyway. Too much room for human error in those tests. One bad swing can affect every chop that comes after it.

MacLaren1 likes this.
  18. Azula Gun Holsters

Sep 19, 2016
    Continued with the 12x8 and gave 12 swings with each knife.
    Seems like they were all close to each other in performance. Not a scientific test but based on feel.
    Still very impressed with the Trash 2 as it kept up with the others. Do to the light weight of the Trash 2 there was more felt recoil when chopping. All the knives performed as expected. The post chopping paper cut test was won by the INFI steel B11. Did not feel any burrs while cutting the paper. The INFI Steel is truly amazing. The SR101 and SR77 were still super sharp but you could feel a few burrs when cutting paper. The burrs should easily come out with a few passes on the ceramic rod. The wood was really hard.

All great knives and would not hesitate to choose any of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 9:54 PM