Oven not heating

Hey guys
My DIY kiln has stopped working and I'm stumped
It's been going for a year or so with no problems apart from when I built it I mistakenly didn't fold the ends of the elements to lower the resistance and I didn't realise my mistake til after I fired it a few times and by then the elements were too brittle so I patched them up with bits of wire and it's been going good ever since
But today it fired up a bit then the temp dropped and I saw the red light was on continuous as opposed to flashing like normal so I thought my patchwork wiring had fried and time to do a bit more patching
But no, wires going to elements are fine and elements seem to be ok too
I've checked with face tester and elements have power too
I'm a fool with elective so any help greatly appreciated

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and it turned out to be the safety interlock for the door. It was not making contact anymore so I had to adjust the bolt that presses down on the push button switch. Not sure if you wired in a door safety or not, but it's worth checking if you have one.

Nothing fancy like door safety switch on mine Hubert
I know it should but I kept it as simple as possible

OK, not the door switch. This may sound stupid, but did you verify that the oven was not heating? You said the red light stayed on because the temperature dropped. This could be a fault with the thermocouple or its wiring. Another thing to check would be that the LED on the SSR comes on when the LED on the PID is on, assuming your SSR has an LED.

First thing I would do is measure continuity of your elements. Unplug it and get out the ohm meter and check the coils to make sure there is not a break. If the wire was not properly sized using surface load formulas then it can have a very short life.

Where and how exactly are you testing for voltage? Is it a 110VAC oven, or 220VAC?

Thanks for replies guys
I found the problem,fuse had gone in SSR,I didn't even know it had a fuse to check it only the good folks where I got it stuck a spare fuse in the fins of SSR for me
I did say I'm a fool with electrics
Thanks again guys

Back