1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Overpriced knives in terms of materials, quality & service

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by RamZar, Nov 12, 2015.

1. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Mostly looking at production and mid tech knives.

Of course, these are somewhat subjective opinions. No malice intended.

For me Brous Blades, Medford, Rockstead, Strider, Emerson, Defiant7, MicroTech, Benchmade Gold Class, Pohl Force, Extrema Ratio, etc. It doesn't mean all their models are overpriced but mostly yes.

Some others possibly heading to the overpriced realm or already there: Andre de Villiers, Ferrum Forge, Olamic, Reate, etc.

I thought Shirogorov were overpriced until prices on them tumbled this year to something more realistic.

I don't think Chris Reeve and Hinderer are overpriced.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Cool...

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

3. MEJ

MEJ

Jul 24, 2011
    Why not CRK and Hinderer? Im just curious as to ur reasoning.

4. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Hinderer used to be overpriced but no longer. I've always appreciated the quality and ultimately pricing on CRK. Just one person's take.

5. Constant Gardener

Constant Gardener Banned BANNED

Sep 25, 2015
    Thanks?

6. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    It's only over priced when no one buys it. IF they sell a ton of them, then they cannot be considered over priced. IMO

7. KBA

KBA Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I remember when I thought a $100 knife was over priced, then I educated myself and experienced it. I will never own a $1000 dollar knife but it doesn't mean they are over priced. It just means I cant afford it.

Know, the $70 dollar China made knife with glued on plastic slabs, gaps in the liners, and a terrible grind that I bought on my honeymoon was an over priced knife. :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  8. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Not sure I share your outlook on those particular brands, but I would say that the market seems generally overpriced to me considering the redundancy of materials and features. I see numerous appealing designs, aesthetically speaking at least, that are executed in the same, mind-numbing configuration.

9. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw

Feb 27, 2014
    Interesting topic. Lets hope it can stay civil.

2 companies off the top of my head.
    First: Begg Knives. They look really nice, but $700+ for G10 with a titanium framelock bolted to it??? Yeesh!
    Second: surprisingly, Spyderco. Almost ALL the new releases are IMO way overpriced. Around $240 for a 3" Ti slipjoint is about $100 more than I'd be willing to pay.

10. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    spyderco rubicon .

11. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Do you think that the Spyderco's at their discounted prices are over priced? I typically find very deep discounts on them, sometimes nearly 50%

12. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    In before the flood of personally offended fanboys.

I disagree that popularity precludes a model/brand from being overpriced, but I understand the argument.

I think Northwoods are overpriced. In my experience, and from what ove seen, less or equal quality to GEC with a massive price increase against comparable models. Maybe the exclusive handle materials and smaller runs (?) justifies it, but not for me.

13. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

-- Paul Simon

14. KBA

KBA Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Most Northwoods are made by GEC

15. dano

dano

Oct 3, 1998
    Define "overpriced."

There are too many variables to give an accurate definition to every knife and knife company.

16. RamZar

Mar 3, 2013
    Sometimes I get seduced by marketing.

Sometimes I become a blind and unapologetic fan of a brand.

I have knife/knives from most on my list.

17. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    Hinderer- yes, you can get basically the same knife from ZT for roughly half the price with just as good quality and often better materials.

Emerson- same as above and then some.

Microtech- not really overpriced, but they're notorious for horrible customer service. Their slogan may as well be "here's your knife, now go fornicate with yourself".

I agree that Spyderco is pushing it with some of their newer releases, and the move to MAP isn't going to win them any fans either.

18. sloth357

sloth357 Platinum m0f0

Jan 5, 2011
    Yet prices on customs AREN'T "overpriced"? That is where it gets silly in terms of trendy knives selling for super inflated prices only to be selling for half or less in a year or not getting any hits...

I won't go into names that are on that list...

Markets dictate price (mostly).. and markets aren't exactly intelligent.

Have fun!

19. A Little Spyder

A Little Spyder

Jul 26, 2015
    I agree completely, I honestly think some knives are really overpriced rather than their companies respectively. For example the Rubicon and Slyz Bowie I think are horribly overpriced. I think CRK is almost pushing the envelope but is still reasonable.

20. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    That's my point. They're made by the same company, to the same quality (though I consider the sabre grinds and rough finish to probably be cheaper in production), but have a significant mark up compared to similar GEC models. The recent Northwoods #15s, for example.