owl head knives

do you guys know anything about owl head knives.. I been looking at some of their folders on ebay.. not finding anything online about them ?
Thanks
Good knife hunting
Jack

I wouldn't be so sure.

I've noticed that their designs are nearly identical to the Chinese-made Rough Rider knives, and I recall a post a while back stating that they were assembled in China with exported German (but not Solingen) blades.

I own one, a Sowbelly, and I'm not terribly impressed. The main blade is pretty small, compared to the size of the handle, and the handle shape is a bit awkward. It takes a decent edge, despite very thick edges; but I haven't used it enough to get a good feel for edge retension. Mine's got "abalone" scales, which are very dull and lifeless compared to my "good" abalones. Fit and finish is comparable to Rough Rider, i.e. good by Chinese standards, but nothing special by German standards.

I bought several at under $14 and have been selling them at $20-$24. The knife parts are made in Germany and then shipped to China for assembly from my understanding. I think its not a bad knife for low end knives.

I am not familiar with the brand.
But I do know that the former Imperial-Schrade had a manufacturing facility in Listowel, Ireland.
-http://archives.tcm.ie/thekingdom/2004/03/18/story12814.asp
And that it uses what appears to be a graphic reprentation of an Owl for it's trademark.

Buck Creek,Owl Head and Indian Head were started by a Mr.Burns in London KY.At that the knives were made in Germany.About 15 years Buck Creek and Owl Head sold to Taylor Cutlery and Indian Head to a Mr.Risner.Frost Cutlery now has Buck Creek.

I too was curious about the Owls Head knives on ebay.

So a few years ago I bought one - an "abalone" stockman - and it's one of the very few knives I've ever actually thrown out.

I found it to be a pretty low quality pocketknife with respect to fit, finish, edges, and materials.
It was, however, tang stamped Munich Germany FWIW.

The Owl Heads I have owned were very well made and thanks for the background on Millard Burns' connection to those knives. In his day, beginning in the early 60's, he was a well known and successful business man from London, Ky who dabbled in many areas of commerce. He named Buck Creek Knives after a real creek located between London & Corbin, Ky. Sadly, the aquisition of the Buck Creek name by Frost ends my deisre for those knives. I have owned an extensive collection of Buck Creeks, Owl Heads and Indian Heads (which are a favorite of mine) but over time I have "whittled" them down. Nice to talk.
Later.

I was just gifted an Owl Head. My brother got a good deal on some, and he sent me one.

I am new to traditional style knives, I just bought my first stockman (a case) about 6 months ago, so I am no expert, but it seems like a nice little knife. It had a decent edge out of the box, but I have yet to try sharpening it...my brother said he can't get a good edge on his, and challenged me to try on mine. I told him, if I have to I will buy paper wheels and sharpen with those!

I had some and really thought they were China made knives posing as something else.I didnt think they were as good as Rough Rider or Buck China stuff.

The Owl Heads I have owned were very well made and thanks for the background on Millard Burns' connection to those knives. In his day, beginning in the early 60's, he was a well known and successful business man from London, Ky who dabbled in many areas of commerce. He named Buck Creek Knives after a real creek located between London & Corbin, Ky. Sadly, the aquisition of the Buck Creek name by Frost ends my deisre for those knives. I have owned an extensive collection of Buck Creeks, Owl Heads and Indian Heads (which are a favorite of mine) but over time I have "whittled" them down. Nice to talk.
Later.
thanks for the info and comment

buzz

this was a really old thread.
i've owned a few Owl Head knives. not great quality fir or finish and blade steel is ???

too bad this interesting tang stamp brand is not promoted and upgraded.
wll anyway...

buzz

Back