Owning multiple versions of the same user ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Collecting is one thing, but are there any models you own multiple versions of which you actually use ?

I'm not a collector per say, but when I saw a brass and rosewood 305 on the bay today I just had to have it.
It's becoming one of my favorite Buck folder models and I didn't care that I already have a standard Valox 305.
I think I could actually see myself owning a few different versions , normally I cant justify this but It might be nice to have a few to choose from.

Sadly I got distracted and someone else won it for about $20, but I believe they're common enough that I should be able to get my hands on one.
I've got the search saved and my fingers crossed , hoping to find the jigged bone as well if they're not too rare:)
( not the Chinese deuce version)

I like 305's, got a bunch of them but as a user? Not a chance.
You must have small hands, I'm a size 2XL glove.

View attachment 1386335
I wear medium gloves so my hands aren't huge, but my pocket knife uses are very minor and don't require much blade or grip.
I've got my belt knives to thank for that I suppose, from the 110 to the 102 or 113 they handle anything my little pocket knives won't

Last edited:
I like 305's, got a bunch of them but as a user? Not a chance.
You must have small hands, I'm a size 2XL glove.

View attachment 1386335
those mitts make that 305 look like a mini version of an already small sized knife.:)

on the topic. talking Bucks only... I have a bunch of 110s I use that are different scale materials and such. 119s same thing. vantages same thing. lochsa's, same thing. many other models. so yes. not 305s though

just like different setups of the same model. sometimes I'll buy two of the same model. one I'll use other I keep for the collection.

Yep, I was fortunate enough to get one before they were discontinued. It’s brass and rosewood still like new, never sharpened only used cutting maybe a thread on my jeans. It is very small and I can hardly hold on to it. And the blades are so tiny. Lol. I think i got it mostly because they weren’t going to make them anymore and kinda novelty. I was going to get all the brass and rosewood models but so far only the 305,303,301 are all I acquired.

I have several Vantage models as well as the Lux series that I keep in the collection. While I know that Buck's stuff will last a lifetime and then some, I always have the fear that something will happen to my knives that will not be able to be fixed by warranty due to the knives leaving production. I ran into this issue with some of Benchmades that are no longer produced and no longer have replacement parts.

As far as multiple model users I am heavy in the 110s. I currently have 9 in various designs and metal blades in 420hc, cpm 154, s30v, S35vn, 20cv. My 110 slim pro and 110 LT I use for my employment work and then the others I use while fishing, hunting and camping and in the yard. My favorite is the silver fox with 20cv blade.
I also have 3 vantage pros I use mostly at work and the one with 20cv blade is my most carried and it’s a dandy!

I like the 112 but for years I never used one in any super steel. Mainly because most early ones are very collectable. Finally I broke down and tried my S30V BOTM blue Slim and never looked back. I have a D2 Lil'jack Custom, a S35VN Slim Pro plus and a few others all in premium steels. If a 112 is very limited in a super steel like the Lil'jack I buy 2..

Well, If you want several other versions you will be bidding on a discontinued model and discontinued versions.
large.jpg

And some David Yellowhorses and some will be of interest to collectors $.

Well, If you want several other versions you will be bidding on a discontinued model and discontinued versions.
large.jpg

I'm not trying to look for too many versions, can't afford to sink my whole knife budget into 305's.
Maybe if I didn't have other hobbies.

Luckily I prefer the Buck made version aesthetically over the Camillus made version, that eliminates a variation or two I suppose :D
I'm really just looking for the Brass & Rosewood 305, and maybe that jigged bone version on the right.
I think I could be all set with just the two or 3 as long as I can resist the temptation to have 'em all, the temptation sure is strong though.

large.jpg

Nice collection. :)
I sure hope all your backsprings survived the photo session.

I have a bunch of these little Buck 425's stashed around, in a tackle box, tool box, key chains, range bag... many years ago the wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I said just a Buck 425. She went to one of those catalog discount showroom stores that were once popular in the 80's, she put in an order for one, they gave her one alright, 1 box of 12.

She had no idea that it was an error on their part, imagine my surprise when I unwrapped the gift.

V 1989 date code... I can't believe it was 31 years ago when I got them.

8R4383fl.jpg

Last edited:
Back