Paper Labels/Embossed - Post em Up

PzOUpa6h.jpg

Just picked up this E&S yesterday

9WLEUYuh.jpg

Think I've posted this one on here before along with a Spiller in the same condition and pattern. This one is marked 1925 and the label had almost completely fallen off when I got it so I removed it and just recently glued it back on. The Spiller was basically the same, I guess that's what happens when they sit in storage for 90 years. But I will be gluing the Spillers label back on soon just want to see how the label holds up on the E&S, didn't want to use a glue that would damage the head and there was like no info online so I just used a basic glue stick so if it doesn't work it won't cause any harm.

556xCAuh.jpg

1926 Witherell, the year that E&S started making the axes for Witherell. Unfortunately the head was sanded/polished, it had been painted red at one point as well as the handle (there's still traces of the paint in the weight/date/makers stamps and in a minor check or two in the handle) so I guess this one can't be considered NOS but it's still in incredibly good shape, both head and handle.

i actually found a kelly perfect the other day with a paper label, but it was shredded so i took it off when i cleaned it up, should i still post it even though it's basically a normal kelly now?

i actually found a kelly perfect the other day with a paper label, but it was shredded so i took it off when i cleaned it up, should i still post it even though it's basically a normal kelly now?

Why not? I get the hint that it did have a label until recently.

30yUHj8.jpg

After posting here earlier it got me motivated to stick the label back on the Spiller.

WrkNadq.jpg

Also wasn't home earlier and didn't have an updated picture of this one, when I bought the head it had half of a label on it that was in pretty good shape, much better than the double bit I posted earlier. So I decided to take it off and replace it with a full one when I found one. So not technically NOS but the head is mint, likely unused as the bit still has the original factory polishing and it still had the label just wanted a full one as this is going to hang up in my shop once I get the wall finished. It's one thing to slap a label on to try and up the value to sell it but this sleeper is my favorite axe of all and it's not going anywhere, plus it did come with one it just happened to get damaged in the 80 some odd years since it originally was placed on the head.

But those are all my paper labels, as you can probably tell my collection is almost entirely Maines. I actually only have a couple embossed heads left since most of them I bought cheap and sold to afford more Maines haha.

Did "Broomhilda" let you keep them? :) Quite an investment there those old labels and mint logos are rare these days....My wife calls my cool stuff "Hoarding" as well...

This label is on an NOS round eye trade axe that is now in Square_Peg's capable hands. Gerald T. Burgess resigned from his position as manager of Walters Axe in 1942. He founded Burgess Tools in 1945 and changed the name of the business over to Burgess Industries by 1952. The company itself disappeared from listings in local directories by 1955. When the Hull, Quebec (directly across the Ottawa River from City of Ottawa, Ontario) Walters Axe factory was being torn down in about 1985-86 several cases of Burgess-labelled axe heads and machetes were uncovered. Walters no doubt was commissioned to make these and there's a very good chance unpaid invoices caused them to be withheld and then languish for 40 years.

Walterstradeaxe003Medium_zpsdac17418.jpg

Back