Para 3 Action?

To start with, the stock wire clip is phenomenal on any model, the Lynch wire clip replacement takes it to the next level
next, yes given the choice, I would personally purchase the Sage lw over the para 3 lw, it has become my favorite compression lock, probably why I have two
If they ever offer the Sage lw in another steel, I'll be all over it, nothing wrong with s30v by the way.
Dragonfly vs manbug, I also own both but the manbug is just the right size for my pocket
I put a lanyard on it to fish it out of my pocket easier, I cut cardboard, tape and slice through zip ties and cat 6 cable without issue
I hope that answers your questions

next, yes given the choice, I would personally purchase the Sage lw over the para 3 lw, it has become my favorite compression lock, probably why I have two

Thanks for clarifying that!

If the Para 3 LW DLC blade model that comes in tomorrow has the silky smooth action and perfect centering like the Sage 5 LW it will be a very tough decision deciding between the two. If either one of those characteristic aren't present then I think the Sage 5 LW will be the clear winner!!!

I appreciate your input!

TripleB67

I appreciate all the information, advice, help, and experiences with the Para 3 Lightweight.

I've decided to make the SPYDERCO PARA 3 LIGHTWEIGHT BLACKED OUT VERSION my first $100+ EDC.

It's blade is almost perfectly center, it's gorgeous to look at, it has an outrageous fun fidget factor, love being able to shut it while keeping my fingers away from the blade, it's incredibly sharp, it disappears in my pocket, and the action is as smooth as the Sage 5. Did I mention she's stunning!?!

Again, I appreciate all the information you've given me - it was a tremendous help!

TripleB67

Last edited:
Congrats. I don't think you had any bad choices, but I think the Para 3 LW is a great pick.

I've decided to make the SPYDERCO PARA 3 LIGHTWEIGHT BLACKED OUT VERSION my first $100+ EDC.

Congrats on that but, in the meantime, since you 1st created this thread, I've already purchased 3 additional knives (2 Spydercos - a fixed and folder - and a Hogue fixed); all of which cost more than $100 each.

Looks like I'm just not as careful and deliberate in making my knife buying decisions as you are, as now the owner of over 130 Spydercos and over 330 knives in general.

You really couldn't have gone wrong w/any choice that you made but I truly hope that you enoy your new Para 3! :)

------------------------------

BTW, the "action" on the Pattada that I am currently carrying is as quick as on any other Spyderco that I also own, including 2 Para 1's, a Para 2 and a Para 3.

You'll learn that all there is to flicking a Spyderco folder open "quickly" is to place your thumb in the Spydie hole as you remove it from your pocket and as soon as the end of the scales clear the pocket to flick the blade open using the Spydie hole as the leverage point.

Nothing really faster than this, not even an automatic, which I can attest to being the owner of over 30 autos, including an Autonomy 1, 2 Autonomy 2's, an Embassy and a Citadel in addition to 25 other non-Spyderco autos.

You just need to practice the movement in order to achieve it. Really no need for buttons, springs, flipper or any other such things to open a Spyderco VERY quickly!

Last edited:
I don't mean to hijack, but I have a lot of good to say about the knife as well, and I feel like another thread would be clutter. I've been carrying my P3LW since I got it last year, it won't seem to leave my pocket for very long. It's a fantastic piece that I hope doesn't get discontinued in the near future. The lock is strong, blade geometry is great, and the steel performs really well.

I haven't really had any show stopping problems out of it, but then again I've used it as a knife and haven't exactly been rough with it. If there were a CQI of the Para3 LW I would suggest that there be a metal plate and washer on both sides of the pivot rather than just one. Not sure it's necessary, but it would increase my confidence in it. I would also really like for them to be centered up better, which adding other plate might take care of.

The only reason I bring up centering as a potential issue is that my blade is off center, and the front of the finger choil on mine was staring to get closer to the handle scale. I'd say there was a hair's width of gap and shrinking. It hadn't caused a problem yet, but I didn't want it to continue to wear and end up making contact. Since I already sent the original one I got in the mail back to Colorado and had it replaced I'm not about to send this one back, so I went ahead and flattened the pivot plate on a very flat sharpening stone. This process revealed some very slight cupping around the pivot area, inward on one side and outward on the other.

I'm not sure if the aforementioned cupping was due to an issue with stamping, or if it was an engineered that way. Once the flattening was completed everything went back together without any issues.. The action is fantastic, there is zero gap between the scale, washers, and blade, there is zero play, and it's fall shut smooth when the comp lock is disengaged. I accept that any warranty is now voided, but I think the knife is better now than when I got it. I only put this information out there for informational purposes, not as a complaint.

Overall the good far outweighs the bad, I'm happy with it.

Congrats on that but, in the meantime, since you 1st created this thread, I've already purchased 3 additional knives (2 Spydercos - a fixed and folder - and a Hogue fixed); all of which cost more than $100.

Looks like I'm just not as careful and deliberate in making my knife buying decisions as you are, as now the owner of over 130 Spydercos and over 330 knives in general.

You really couldn't have gone wrong w/any choice that you made but I truly hope that you enoy your new Para 3! :)

LOL...excellent!!!

Yea, being a teacher (in NC) with a 13 year old freshman and a 24 year old daughter (who I'm helping put through college/masters) doesn't leave a lot of extra cash flow! :D

Congrats on your purchases!

TripleB67

Back