Para-Military Cleaning

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by rpbali, Aug 27, 2007.

1. rpbali

rpbali

Feb 23, 2007
    Is there a good way to clean a para without taking it apart? It seems that I have gotten some sand in the pivot area and simply washing it in water is not doing the trick. If there is no way to do it I would feel comfortable taking it apart, but i'd rather not due to warranty.

Thanks

2. yoda4561

yoda4561

May 28, 1999
    usually a toothbrush with dish soap and really hot water will do the trick, I know it seems kinda odd since the toothbrush can't actually get way down in there, but it's the first thing I try and it normally works. Otherwise I'd just loosen the pivot way up and blast it out with some gunscrubber or carburetor cleaner. If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner then you can just loosen the pivot up, or not as the case may be and give it a few seconds, that's never failed to clean EVERYTHING out of the pivot.

3. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    You might try to blast it out with compressed air as you work the blade open and closed. If you do not have access to an air compressor you can get a can of air at an office supply store or similar.

4. Bungwrench

Bungwrench Banned by Moderators Banned

Dec 21, 2006
    I would fill up a large bin or bowl with hot soapy water (dish soap), and then put your Para down in there and open and close it about 10 times while immersed in the soapy water.

Then take it out and flush it with hot water all around, and then blow it out with compressed air.

After that throw a couple small drops of oil on the pivot and use it.

If you have to take it apart it is not a big deal. I've done it a few times with success.

5. Saunterer

Saunterer

Feb 4, 2003
    Use dental floss.

6. Lostification

Lostification

Jun 23, 2006
    Or, you can go to the dentist and use the water... gun.... thing... Water has more inertia than air so it may work better.

It's the one that they use when they lecture you about flossing. :D It shoots out a straight stream of high pressure water.

Own a pressure washer? :eek: :D

7. rpbali

rpbali

Feb 23, 2007
    Thanks for the replies, but there is still a few grains of (sand probably) grinding around in there. Is there anything that i could terribly destroy by taking it apart? Would i mess up the lock? I dont think the lock will be an issue just based on what a comp lock is.

Does anybody have any pics of the knife taken apart? I have to run out and buy a torx set. The torx driver i have is too small for the pivot and too big for the other screws...

8. yoda4561

yoda4561

May 28, 1999
    you won't break anything, but some spydercos use an eccentric pivot, notably the older militarys, not sure if they have them on the paras though. The pivot is adjusted at the factory for proper lockup, so there were alot of problems back then with people taking them apart and screwing up the lock engagement unless they knew what they were doing. Other than that, disasembling a linerlock-construction folder is pretty simple, nothing to break but alot of small screws to lose.