• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Para Military

Hey guys

I have two paramilitaries that both have solid lock up except some vertical blade play. Is this just inherent with the compression lock? Or should I send mine back for Warranty repair.

No play in mine at all. Not sure if I've ever heard of one have vertical play. But, wait for some more comments since I'm a newbee to Sypderco.

Last edited:
Some vertical blade play may develop if the stop pin is somehow worn or crushed (repeated inertia openings???), or if the tang has worn to the point of the lock travelling accross to the opposite side, pretty much like any variation on the liner lock.

Try rotating the stop pin to another position. Other than that, I don't think there's much else to be done. Either way, that kind of play probably has no impact on safety or performance.

I had that same problem on a Para I got used, and have no issues with it after tweaking for minimizing the play. For the record, I have four Paras.

if its a loose/rattling play, I would send it back. if it just has some "give" to it when you press the blade towards the handle while locked open, then it is normal.

some paras will flex just a bit until the lock bar hits the stop pin, as there can be a tiny gap between the two.

Some vertical blade play may develop if the stop pin is somehow worn or crushed (repeated inertia openings???), or if the tang has worn to the point of the lock travelling accross to the opposite side, pretty much like any variation on the liner lock.

Try rotating the stop pin to another position. Other than that, I don't think there's much else to be done. Either way, that kind of play probably has no impact on safety or performance.

I had that same problem on a Para I got used, and have no issues with it after tweaking for minimizing the play. For the record, I have four Paras.

+ 1 on everything he just said!
I've had very similar experiences with my Para's too. Rotate the stop pin and say no to inertia openings.

Bo

Back