Paracord wrapped knives

I have a knife with a Paracord handle wrap that I would like to make a sheath for. Up to this point I've only done thermoplastic (I think it's all off brand Kydex, but maybe some name brand stuff made it in there) sheaths, but I'm not sure if that would work for the Paracord handle? Has anyone done a Kydex type sheath for a Paracord wrapped knife? Or do I need to try a leather sheath for it? I have some scrap leather from my 3rd year wedding anniversary gift, so I'm not necessarily against giving that a try... If I go the leather route, is something like this easiest for a first try:

Horizontal sheath

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Unless the cord is soaked in resin, it might be hard to get a snug fit. Kydex and other heat mold stuff really needs a finger guard, or at least a bump in the ricasso or something solid to form the "cam" or tension that holds it in.

A Horizontal sheath is not the easiest for the first try but not impossible either. I would say the Pancake might be a little more forgiving of a first try at least as far as fit goes. Lil easier to get it right. Can ya post a pic of the leather?

Thanks for the replies and feedback! I'll try to upload some images (hope those links work, I checked them in the preview and it seemed to work)

I have maybe 2 more scraps that size as well. I read through your pancake sheath thread as well (the images didn't load for me), and I really like the look of some of the ones that I've seen you post. But some of the youtube builds seemed a little more difficult than the horizontal sheath. I do like the angled look of the pancakes though...

What makes the pancake sheath easier? I figured it had less molding steps, but I'm not entirely sure if the outward face gets pushed out to form around the knife? Or if it kind of equally bulges on both sides?

Back