paramilie

Got my para from NGK this week. :D It was much lighter than I expected (didn't realise it had dual nested liners). Mine had a smooth opening / closing (no grittiness), centered blade and zero bladeplay - thanks to NGK for inspecting before shipping.

This is a damn fine knife - thanks Sal and Spyderco! :)

There are three small things tho'....

(1) how do I close the compression lock one-handed? I can't seem to figure it out...

(2) I prefer a stainless clip. Is there any way I can get a stainless clip to replace the standard black clip?

(3) the pivot pin/screw looks like it's all messed up (similar story as has previously been mentioned in other post)....what's behind that?

All in all....I'm very happy.

I had another custom a couple of weeks back, and it was no joy compared to this Spyderco....it had more issues than the para...

I'm with you on all three counts. For your number two, I used sandpaper. I also sanded the G10 under the clip pinch point because it was eating my pants at an alarming rate. For one handed closing, I do either of these two things:

1. Use forefinger to clear the lock and press the spine on my leg.

or

2. With thumb on obverse side of handle and left side of right forefinger on the ridged portion of the spine, I use my middle finger to open the lock, then let my forefinger ease the blade closed. The right ring and pinky fingers are on the clip with my pinky in the "dip" of the clip.

Now all that assumes you're right handed. ;)

Take care,
Tony

I hol dht eknife with my thumb on the scale, index finger on the lock, and last three fingers on the clip (my little finger can hang a little lower, though). I "pinch" the locking liner, and "flick" the blade closed.

When my paramillie was brand new, the pivot was a bit too tight to do this easily, but it loosened up pretty quickly.

I do it the way Grover Cephas does, but I'm afraid it violates patent law. :D Just kidding. Really, that's the way to do it.

right now I can do it via index finger on the lock, last 3 fingers on the scale and then thumb it close. The only thing is I'm wondering if that puts too much pressure on the lateral pressure on the blade/pivot and will make the blade uncentered in time to come....

I do it (and always have, since the salsa) slightly differently. I slightly rotate the knife in my hand (counterclockwise) so that the clip side is somewhat facing upwars. The lock is then easily dissengaged with the thumb. To close the blade, I have my index just behind the hole. Just as my index starts to close the blade, I rotate the knife in my hand back to clip side down (clockwise) while continuing to close it with my index. The knife is then right side up just as the blde snaps shut.

I love closing it in this manner. And the best part is that the poeple who couldn't figure out how to close it watch closely, and still don't know how I closed it.

Since I'm sure this was confusing to more than one person (despite my best efforts) I did a 3 second clip, but need someone to host it or can email it to people who ask. Just let me know.

Okay, there is another way I do it sometimes: little and ring fingers on clip, middle finger operating lock, index finger closing blade, thumb on lock side.

I turn it in my hand so the edge is more towards me and use my middle finger to depress the lock. Then, I use my index finger to push the blade down and then put my thumb on top of blade to finish closing it. It's all very quick, and feels pretty safe.

My pivot screws also look like they are messed up, which I thought was weird.

talonturbo, if people want to see the clip, I don't mind hosting it for a bit...

Keith Mayton said:
I do it the way Grover Cephas does, but I'm afraid it violates patent law. :D Just kidding. Really, that's the way to do it.

Well, the Axis lock can be closed by operating the lock with your index finger and thumb and flicking the blade closed... That makes the two "equivalent", right? ;)