1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Paramilitary 2 Question

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JSMcustoms, Jan 29, 2013.

1. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    I found this blue sprint run Para 2 surfing Google, so no idea about this one. However, the blue is deeper than what I'm used to seeing. I'm assuming it was dyed to make the blue deeper and darker somehow? If so, how was this done? Instructions would be welcome.

[​IMG]

2. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    It's probably just the exposure setting on the camera.

3. Losing Battle

Losing Battle

Jan 18, 2013
    I agree with Scurvy092. It looks like the it's just the photo. Looks a little underexposed and the white balance is off.

LB

4. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    You are correct. Blue is a tricky color to photograph and not have it saturate or washout. Orange can be difficult for some cameras too.

5. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    Yea, I know about orange. Seen it turn out looking more like Pepto pink. :eek: Didn't know blue was just as tricky.

6. Losing Battle

Losing Battle

Jan 18, 2013
    Here's a corrected copy of the same image. I adjusted the exposure up 1/2 stop and applied a cooling filter to bring the white balance back from the warm/yellow side.

puuShyD_wbCorrect.jpg

LB

7. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    Looks the same to me. Interestingly, other pictures of this knife seem to show the correct color.

8. 100eyes

100eyes

Sep 12, 2008
    I think it's the yellowish lighting as well(incandescent bulb maybe), along with the reflection from the blade which made the picture darker.

Here's my fixed up version:

[​IMG]

If you did want to dye it, I believe people use Rit Dye.

9. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    I remember when the blue Skyline came out there were pictures showing it go from smurf blue to dark blue.

10. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    Rit dye works very well on frn, g10 can be a little tougher, sometimes you end up with a shade you were not expecting. A lot of it has to do with whatever color you are starting with along with the dye and your intended result.

It can help to do a google images and youtube search on the combo you are considering to see if someone has done it before you.

11. JSMcustoms

JSMcustoms

Feb 2, 2012
    Did a bit of digging and found one of the S35VN Para 2's that had been Rit Dyed. Not sure the exact mix of brown that was used, but came out looking like a milk chocolate bar. Seems like keeping the same general color and simply taking it darker works well.

12. BladeChick777

BladeChick777

Jun 20, 2011
    It's just how the photo looks. A lot of colors can be hard to pick up(blue can look darker or even black, Orange can look pink, pink can look orange, Purple can look brown, etc) so it turned out a darker color.