1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Parang

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Willem O'Kelly, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Willem O'Kelly

Willem O'Kelly

Jan 24, 2011
    This one is posted here for Pipeman. It is the first ever Parang I made, the blade is from an old circular saw blade so probably M2 or L6 or some such, 4.5mm thick and tempered back to about spring steel. Construction is traditional - i.e tang through the handle and riveted at the back. Handle is Common Taaibos (Rhus pyroides) burl that I got from a friend - amazing wood - this particular stump has been laying in the veldt for 30 years - and nothing has eaten it yet!! There is also a couple of leather spacers and a sliver of Purple Heart just in front of the brass buttplate,

Thanks for looking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Hey Smokepole I love this parang, everything about it. Would you mind giving us (me for sure)))) some measurements, blade length, blade width at the hump at right angles to the edge, width at the handle and handle length ;-)) That is some amazing looking wood with beautiful depth. I have three 30 inch and a 36 inch millsaw blades that I'm about to cut up into knives and hawks and now for sure a few parang. What a perfect bush whacker.

Thanks so much for showing these.

Best regards

Robin

Here's my email address if you want to contact me.
    [email protected]

3. Willem O'Kelly

Willem O'Kelly

Jan 24, 2011
    Robin, this one was made on order for a client, so it is long gone - but I do still have the original drawing at home - I am on the road at the moment but will measure it up over the weekend and give the measurements - or mail them to you.

4. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    That is one mean looking piece of metal. Very nice work on putting it together, looks great. Nice sheath also.....

5. styx

styx

Apr 21, 2010
    Now that's a bada$$ piece of metal

6. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Thanks very much Smokepole, I'm looking forward to the new experience.

Best regards

Robin

7. ISP 5353

ISP 5353

Sep 5, 2010
    That is a beautiful blade! Excellent job!

8. Willem O'Kelly

Willem O'Kelly

Jan 24, 2011
    Dusty One, Styxx, ISP - thank you for the kind words - glad you like it. Robin, I'll make sure to get the measurements for you.

9. Chris John

Chris John

Aug 12, 2010
    Great work smokepole
    Thanks for sharing your work
    Chris.

10. Willem O'Kelly

Willem O'Kelly

Jan 24, 2011
    My pleasure Chris, glad you like it.