1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Pardon me good sirs. Kissing Crane(s)/Gebr Muller ..? ID assist request. Answered

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Ickythump, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Ickythump

Ickythump Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Just received this Bartenders knife, very happy w/ the quality. Listed as Solingen/German manufacture circa '50's-'60's. Beautifully fit horn, assuming its buffalo and no blade wobble on any blade/tool. 3 3/8" closed.

Seems to have honest, mostly stored patina for that time frame. Im aware of the Klaas association w/ KC but never herd of Gebr Muller or a KC association. No other different tang stamps than what are shown.

Its a slick, well built little knife. The horn has great character and some nice detail touches, the shield and the pic/file blade spring extends the bolster to meet the tip..love that. im partial to carbon steel but the stainless makes sense on this.

I did a little research as I'm completely unfamiliar w/ the brand and history..it was a rabbit hole..country of origin...manufacturing, assembly..completely confused as to what Im looking at. Any insight would be most appreciated.

Pardon the shadows, rushed pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Fodderwing and mitch4ging like this.
  2. hughd

hughd

Feb 18, 2014
    Gebr Muller=Muller Brothers/Stuttgart?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Ickythump likes this.
  3. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    "Solingen" stamp indicates it was actually made in Solingen, Germany.
    Without the "Solingen" stamp, but with the "Germany" stamp, it was assembled in Germany from parts sourced from different places.
    At least that's my understanding.

Very nice knife. Great score. :)

Ickythump likes this.
  4. Ickythump

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks!

And thanks for the replys. No Germany stamp on this either. Can't find a thing on Gebr Muller as associated w/ KC. I have no idea.

@ hughd I understand Gebr translates as brother...but don't see a Stuttgart reference.

5. hughd

hughd

Feb 18, 2014
    Just a vague recollection that they were located in Stuttgart.

Ickythump likes this.
  6. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    No help on info, but I have to comment that that is a very very cool little tool ya got there.

Ickythump likes this.
  7. Ickythump

Dec 8, 2011
    Thank you

It really is a well built knife.

8. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I think you're right about the current regulations.

Ickythump likes this.
  9. hughd

hughd

Feb 18, 2014

Ickythump, where does the KC association reference come from?

Ickythump likes this.
  10. Ickythump

Dec 8, 2011
    I'm assuming Kissing Crane as the tang stamp has their logo as well as it being listed as KC, Solingen made.

Gebr Muller might be a retailer,distributor, outfitter or haberdashery ..that had it made for their store/brand..Like an Orvis, perhaps? No idea.

With the little research I've done I'm aware that parts can be manufactured in other countries..China, Japan , italy...and then assembled in Germany..qualified as German made..some are/were produced in other countries and branded as German made..convoluted, gray and sketchy European laws of declared origin.

The snob in me wants to cofirm it is German manufactured/assembled. Insignificant perhaps as it is well built, no matter... I don't plan to sell or hold as investment...after a light mineral oil soak to rehydrate the horn...it's been living in my pocket...

More of a curiosity and an investigation exercise.

11. hughd

hughd

Feb 18, 2014
    I see, I was think association as in: "An organized body of people who have an interest, activity, or purpose in common; a society".
    What I find strange is the Muller/KC blades in the same knife. I, like you can find no mention of a connection between the two. Any evidence of a blade replacement that doesn't show up in the images?

Ickythump likes this.
  12. Ickythump

Dec 8, 2011
    I appreciate you searching.

I'm a novice as it is to slip joints, but been around the block enough and I don't see any indication of a blade swap or alteration..I could be wrong.

I'm still confused as was/is Gebr Muller a manufacturer or retailer/outfitter, or..?

And no other etch/stamp other than the trade/maker mark of KC..I did find that there is a difference between Kissing Crane and Kissing Cranes, w/ an "s"...but again, this knife hasn't Kissing Crane spelled out either way..just the trademark logo..

13. Ickythump

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks hughd! Very much appreciate the info!

I did find that thread at AAPK..same boat, w/ a 404'ed link.

Everything else you found I havent seen..gonna pour through some of it tonight.

I did find a similar knife w/ slightly different tools..scissors..in genuine tortoise shell that looked like the same built.. w/ Gebr Muller and Henckles trade logo tang stamp, but w/ "Henckles" stamped as wello_O

Again..I very much appreciate the information! Thank you.

hughd likes this.
  14. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    That is a fine old Klaas knife which is actually a gentleman's knife rather than a bartender's model. The Germans tended to put corkscrews on a wide range of their knives which Americans tend to think of as belonging to a bartenders model. This pattern from Klaas dates back to at least the early 1920s, but yours probably dates to around the 1950s based on the Klaas stamp. "Gebruder Muller" was a cutlery company from Solingen, Germany, which was formed in 1920. They specialized in producing blank knife blades for other companies and did some collaborations as this knife shows. Enclosed is a catalog illustration from 1927 showing the same model which was offered in horn or pearl. It also shows an earlier tang stamp than yours.

BF Klaas cat 1927.jpg

hughd and Ickythump like this.
  15. Ickythump

Dec 8, 2011
    Thank you very, very much! Very happy to hear this.
    The nail pic/file didn't seem to fit a bartenders knife..scraping dried Schnapp crystals? ..Gentlemens knife makes perfect sense. Suits the role very well.

I'll have to change to title..

And thank you, again.... all of you fine gentlemen for the time and the input. It is sincerely appreciated.

hughd likes this.
  16. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Glad to help.
    Here is a similar pre-war model less the nail file blade and handled in pearl, including a bail.

BF Klaas Pearl Corkscrew .jpg

Ickythump likes this.
  17. Ickythump

Dec 8, 2011
    That's a beauty. Thank you for the pic.

..love the threaded bolsters and the bail...I'm really falling hard for these little patterns..

Thank you, again!