Pass-around videos & pics

Darrin Sanders

Knifemaker
I'm doing a pass-around with some test knives. Any videos and/or pics will be posted here.

After much fiddling with editing and all that here's part one! This is the chopper!

I'll put part 2 below when I get done editing! This is the camp knife!

Last edited:
Looks like it did pretty well once you got the sights set. LOL Any particular likes or dislikes? Don't be afraid to be honest. I'm always open to constructive criticism.

BTW, thanks for making and posting this.

Hey Darrin, both were extremely well made and both handled really well. I think the chopper was just about perfect for cutting competition or something like that, but besides using it as a hatchet I don't really see much practical application for it. Don't get me wrong, it's loads of fun to run around the woods beheading saplings with that puppy! It cuts like crazy!!

As for the camp knife, I loved the shape of the handle, but I thought the blade was a bit wide. I imagine the long bevels would have done a pretty good job battoning through things, but I didn't try that. I do prefer the full flat grinds to other types, so both of these were right up my alley!

There was a very small dull spot near the tip on the camp knife, and I'm not sure if it got dull during testing or just got missed during the initial sharpening. I'm leaning towards the latter because the rest of the knife performed so admirably.

Fit and finish were very good, especially for a user knife. The handles on both were kind of an ugly color, but natural micarta is just kinda ugly. The shape of the handles and their performance was fantastic though. I really liked the stainless and brass pins, those were a nice touch. Both were grippy, held on to your hand while working, good stuff all 'round!

Alan, thanks for testing these. I agree with the blade on the camp knife being a bit too wide. If I had it to do over I would have trimmed it back to somewhere in the 1 5/8"-1 3/4" range. Yeah, I may have missed a little spot when sharpening. I just wanted to get a quick edge on them so they wouldn't be hard to re-profile or sharpen to the actual users liking. I also agree that the Micarta is ugly, especially on the camp knife. These were meant to be used hard for testing so I didn't spend a lot of time finishing the handles. I was just aiming for ergonomics and user comfort. Sorry for the confusion on the bolts. LOL They're actually brass & nickel silver. They look really nice when they're finished to a nice satin or mirror polish.
Thanks again, for the testing and input.

My pleasure! The grinds on both of the knives were fantastic! As was the fit of all the components, including the bolts that I couldn't figure out! Lol! It gives me a goal to shoot for in my own knives! I've got a ways to go!!

Back