Passing of a Legend

Knife making, Knife forums, Knife shows, Knifemaker guilds, world-wide acceptance, Knife buying/making “booms.”

I’d like to acknowledge the passing a true pioneer who made all “this” possible.
The one & only A.G. Russell III passed away last week. This is brief note of gratitude & respect for an American Icon.

Godspeed, Mr Russell. Your legacy is in very good hands.

I'm very saddened by this news. The knife community has lost one of its great leaders. I was blessed to have shaken hands a number of times with Mr. Russell. And he was pivotal to my business succeeding.

When I first went full time I was faltering along, and posted a thread asking the forum members for help and advice on how to grow my business. This thread turned into my big break. Two great men, leaders within the knife community responded in what was a life changing way for me. Both have passed on this year. AG Russell posted that he was interested in buying 100 Nessmuks for his catalog. Then Derrick Bohn introduced himself to me in that thread and offered to become a dealer of Fiddleback Forge Knives. Had that not happened I think I would have found a full time job doing something else and kept knives part time.

One hundred knives and the opportunity to work through a professionally negotiotated and managed process with AG Russell was HUGE for me. I learned so much just going through the process, foundation things. It was a light touch, I don't think he gave it even very much of his attention. In fact each year at Blade Show that I talked to him, he never remembered me from the last time. This wasn't a negative thing, I believe many knifemakers will have similar stories of his influence. Really it was just a nod in passing from him, and without it I just don't see the business going the same direction. I am very grateful to him.

Derrick was, of course, to become a friend, mentor, and a huge part of my business. Derrick was so enthusiastic, and his vision within this industry was so clear, he couldn't help but effect you in a positive way when you worked with him. He taught me how to run a knife business, and he was big medicine for humanity in general. I miss him a lot.

I chatted with Mr. Russell a few times on Knife forums back in the day. Even bought some knives from their shop. All good experiences. He will be missed.

Back