Pasvikka - Some of my new knives ...

Hi!

I feel like I haven't posted any pictures of my knives for ages!!!
Well, here are some of my new knives. The knives are called 'Pasvikka'.

pasvikka_02.jpg

pasvikka_03.jpg

pasvikka_11.jpg

pasvikka_12.jpg

pasvikka_07.jpg

pasvikka_05.jpg

pasvikka_08.jpg

pasvikka_09.jpg

pasvikka_10.jpg

pasvikka_13.jpg

Knife specs:
- Length: 220 mm
- Blade length: ca. 100 mm
- Blade height: ca. 30 mm
- Blade thickness: ca. 4 mm
- Weight: ca. 180 g
- Steel: 'SB1', stainless, Nb-alloyed tool steel, ca. 59-60 HRC.
- Scales: Desert Ironwood and dyed, stabilised maple.

The sheath is a 'scandinavian style' leather sheath, featuring a single front seam and a wooden liner. The leather has been dyed to match the desert ironwood in its colour and wet-moulded to produce the line pattern.

The two carnassial teeth from cave bears as shown in the pictures were used as a model for the handle shape. The teeth are 15.000 (yellowish) and 350.000 (dark) years old. I have spent quite some time optimising the handle shape. I had several friends using various handle shapes based on the teeth' distinctive shape and listened to their feedback. Some of the beeswax models were returned with some sort of thump grooves on their spine. They obviously had formed while my friends were trying different grips on the knife for virtual cutting tasks, so I added the 'double thump grooves' on the handle spine. The 'butt' of the knife fits into the palm of the hand and supports the knife while push-cutting or stabbing. You can further stabilise the blade by using the thump grooves, depending on how much force you have to apply for the cutting task.

The knives were made by Jürgen Schanz, the sheath was made by David Hölter, both worked very close to the design guidelines I gave them. I did the laser-cutting of the knife blanks and took care of the heat treatment parameters (incl. slow circle deep cryo treatment) myself. Kudos to Jürgen and David for their work.

I hope you do like the knives and enjoy the pictures.

Thanks!
Lars

Keith Montgomery said:
[...] The wood on the first one makes that my favorite. [...]

Keith, that's my EDC. :D

@all: Thanks for your positive feedback. :)
Cheers
Lars

@Lanza: Thanks. :)

There is also a 'fancy family theme', well some sort of. :) Here we go.

trio_infernale.jpg

And there is also one with a colour that I have never used on a knife before. (I do blame it on Absolut.)

attachment.php

Cheers
Lars

Nice looking knives, except for two (technical photography) suggestions: 1) try a darker background to give the blades some contrast, like in the Absolut knife, and 2) could we please see those "double thumb humps" you were talking about?

@Lucky Bob, thanks for your feedback, I will shoot some pictures with a darker background, a dark blue, probably. I found dark blue gives a nice contrast with the blades. You can see the 'double thumb grooves' on the picture with the top view of both the knife and the carnassial teeth. I will also post a picture of me holding or using the knife, also showing the 'double thumb grooves' thump position options ... :)
Thanks again!

@ignoramus: Thanks for your plaudit.

Cheers
Lars

Thanks again for your feedback. The knife is indeed very functional. I am still labouring on that in-hand photo ... sorry.

Regards
Lars

Here is the Pasvikka 'Tactical Version'

pasvikka_19_tv.jpg

pasvikka_20_tv.jpg

pasvikka_17_tv.jpg

pasvikka_18_tv.jpg

pasvikka_21_tv.jpg

Pasvikka Tactical Version

- Length: 220 mm
- Blade Length: ca. 100 mm
- Blade Height: ca. 30 mm
- Blade Thickness: ca. 4 mm
- Weight: appr. 200 g
- Steel 1.2552 (tough German tungsten steel), appr. 58 HRC.
- MilSpec GunKote Coating
- Slabs made from RipStop-Micarta (old US BDU).

The screws will be coated as well so that there is no shiny spot on the knife.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers
Lars

Nice clean lines...im with keith on the Ironwood ...I use it alot. You found a perfect piece for the knife......great work:thumbup:

Bigjohn, thanks for you feedback. I do prefer the desert ironwood over every other wood for its properties and huh, its 'optical appearance' once it is finished. Deep amber and whisky, the way sunlight is reflected within the desert iron wood ...
However, some customers call for a tactical look and they shall be heard. :)

Cheers
mark23

Lars,
Very nice knives. I also like the first one with the ironwood scales. The leatherwork on the sheath is very fine work too. I would be VERY happy to own that package.

Peter

Back