Pat Crawford's Kasper Neck Knife

Last week I ordered one of Pat Crawford's new Kasper Neck Knives after having read a review, in Tactical Knives I believe. Well, the knife has certainly lived up to everything the article said.

I did make one change, which I email Mr. Crawford about and he's now looking into it. I applied some of Pachmyr's Pak-Skin to the handles. It's 1/8" thick neoprene rubber, actually a little less. With both sides of the handle sporting the Pak-Sking, the handle was still 1/64" thinner that the kydex sheath.

I haven't used it enough to really have a thorough knowledge of how well it works, but, based on the folder's success, I have high expectations.

Briefly, it's 7-1/2" overall with a 3-1/2" ATS-32 blade with a fine bead blast finish and comes with a kydex sheath. With the sheath it only weighs about 4 oz. And, at 1/4" thickness including the sheath, it is quite concealable.

I know from talking with Mr. Crawford that he and Wes are being hit hard for these after the article came out.

Has anyone else bought one of these yet? If so, I'm curious as to your impressions?

Ray

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 16 September 1999).]

Ray,
Before a recent fishing trip, I put some marine "rubberized" nonskid tape on the left hand (logo) side of my Sebenza. I wasn't sure how it would work on the blasted (rough) handle, but it held great and when I took it off it was easy to clean with a powdered cleaner and an old toothbrush.

I have a blasted-handle ti KFF on order and I may do the same thing, at least in some spots. If I don't feel that it improves my grip for defensive purposes, I'll remove it. Just out of curiosity, do you know if Pat recommends for or against this practice?
Thanks, Cappy

Cappy,

I sent Pat email and gave him Pachmyr's address and phone #. He replied and said that he would be contacting them that day. I haven't talk with him since, but I suspect this may have been a new idea to Pat. I think it would be a great option. Heck, if enough makers wanted this, I bet Pachmyr would be willing to custom cut grips for them. They make a ton of grips for guns, and this would be a much simpler process.

We'll see.

If I hear anything from Pat, I'll try to remember to pass it along to the Forumites here.

Ray

------------------
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

Lots of Packskins available here. Drop me an email.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

I haven't seen the pac skins. Are they a slide on sleeve type thing? They sound cool. I offer neoprene as a grip on my knives. Do the pac skins grip the same way?

Thanks,

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
See my award winning "Spec Ops Tanto" in Gallery 3 of my website
GriffithKN@aol.com

They look real cool, but I haven't bought one yet, I just entered a contest for a free one!
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

------------------
I need a bigger bucket.

Lynn,

Pachmyr makes slip-on flashlight grips that are absolutely great. I've had quite a few pistol grips from them, and the fit is always tight. Once you get one on, they NEVER slide around - any.

The Pak-Skin product uses an adhesive backing that they claim, and my experience confirms, doesn't damage metals. It is use a great deal on rifles and pistols, so it should be safe on most knife materials.

Pachmyr's neoprene grips are at most gun dealers if you want to check out the grip quality. Pak-Skin is the exact same thing, with the same diamond-checkering pattern on the surface. If you hold it for 5 minutes, the oils from your skin actually seem to form a slight "bond" and the grip then seems sticky. Just to see what would happen, I held, with moderate pressure, an empty Glock 19 for 20 minutes. After that time, the flesh on my palm "peeled" away from the grip. I was able to completely relax my grip and the gun remained in my hand, due to this phenomenon. I guess that happens with neoprene in general.

I don't have their 800#, but info can get it for you. I bet, if you mention you're a manufacturer, they'd probably send you a free sample. Even if they don't, the $10 for a sheet of about 1 sq ft is worth testing out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be willing to make knife grips - their pistol grips are available for practically every pistol ever made.

The only negative thing I've found is that, over a period of a few years, or less if extreme heat is involved, the adhesive tends to start to "run".

Ray

P.S. Congrats on the Denver Best Tactical award!
------------------

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 16 September 1999).]

The only negative thing I've found is that, over a period of a few years, or less if extreme heat is involved, the adhesive tends to start to "run".

Thanks for replying. I appreciate you sharing your experience. Unfortunately the adhesive problem, would come back to haunt me. So I guess that option is out for me. Oh well. My customers seem to really like the Neoprene I am using now for my knife handles.

Thanks again,

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

Will the Pak-Skin slow down the draw from the pocket because of the tackiness of the grip?

I have heard gun people who don't like rubberized grips for pocket guns because they can drag on the pocket material and slow down the draw.

Axel

Axel Yup,

Yes, it definitely will. I would avoid it if you intend on something going inside a pocket. It does have a nice side-effect on a neck knife. The Pak-Skin helps keep the knife in one place since it sits against your skin. That is, assuming that's where the neck knife is.

Ray

------------------

AKTI Member #A000831

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 17 September 1999).]

I have heard gun people who don't like rubberized grips for pocket guns because they can drag on the pocket material and slow down the draw.

Axel
The rubber definitely can create a drag. Also kind of sticky when you try to swicth grip positions (going from forward to reverse grip). I actually like the grip of bead blasted micarta better. Good grip wet or dry. Yet still not to grippy. More durable than a rubber grip also. Here is an example of micarta (black and white) and neoprene (bottom)
patrolmen.jpg

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com

Nice looking knives, Lynn, especially the black micarta. Are my eyes fooling me or is it slightly irridescent (?)?

Ray

Nice looking knives, Lynn, especially the black micarta. Are my eyes fooling me or is it slightly irridescent (?)?
Ray
Your eyes are fooling you in several ways. The micarta has no pattern. Its layers are flat. The illusion of pattern is realized by the contouring of the handle. Jerry Oksman ( a customer of mine ) compares the shape of the handle, to the melt job on a pistol grip. The micarta is not irridescent, but does see, to jump out at you. You have to hold one of these to truly appreciate it. Thanks very much for the compliment of my work.

------------------
My website
GriffithKN@aol.com
Discounts to Police and Active Duty Military

Lynn,

I agree with you about the bead blasted micarta scales. My Crawford KFF has bead blasted micarta scales and they provide a nice grip without tackiness plus they are durable and scratch resistant. My understanding is that Ti handles scratch very easily.

Axel

Back