Patch and/vs Hiking Buddy; What Next?

Nbrackett surprised me with an offer to give his Hiking Buddy a spin, a wonderful opportunity I was glad to take him up on. There's nothing like having a knife in hand to begin to understand it.

I'm posting some pictures and impressions here, in case seeing the knives together might be of benefit to others interested in either pattern.

The Hiking Buddy, in coffee bag burlap:

IMG_3699.jpg~original

IMG_3701.jpg~original

In the mix with my Fiddleback knives:
IMG_3662.jpg~original

Patch, Hiking Buddy, Esquire, Stubby Muk

With its closest counterpart among my knives, the Patch:
IMG_3665.jpg~original

Both knives are made from 1/8" stock, and come in right around 7.25" OAL:
IMG_3667%201.jpg~original

The Patch knife's handle is taller and slightly thinner than the Hiking Buddy's, but feels bigger overall:
IMG_3672.jpg~original

IMG_3671%201.jpg~original

Patch, Hiking Buddy, Esquire:
IMG_3678%201.jpg~original

The coarser fibers of the coffee bag burlap doth mesmerize me:
IMG_3691.jpg~original

Indoors, in hand:
IMG_3703.jpg~original

IMG_3724.jpg~original

IMG_3729.jpg~original

IMG_3731.jpg~original

IMG_3733.jpg~original

IMG_3734%201.jpg~original

IMG_3735%201.jpg~original

An attempt to show that they share a similar balance point, at/just behind the second set of pins (no Comprehensivist, I :eek:):
IMG_3753.jpg~original

... in which I discovered the Patch knife is magnetized, requiring me to angle the Hiking Buddy downwards to prevent it from knocking up into the Patch. Funny!

Impressions: both are fantastic knives, and both hit a similar spot, and deciding between the two, if indeed one wants to try(!), will likely come down to subtle personal preferences. In fact, their "same-but-different" presentation, in hand and in use, is a challenge to me. How does one choose?!

The Hiking Buddy's more central tip makes more sense to my eye and brain than the Patch's, even if it does not seem to affect me o'ermuch in actual use.
IMG_3769.jpg~original

Speaking of use:
I took a block of basswood and set out all four knives nearby. I grabbed each of the knives in turn, repeatedly, cutting the wood (push cuts, draw strokes, pokey things, etc.) without deliberating over grip or angle but doing my best to simply pick up each knife and use it. The Stubby Muk was of course the outlier, but the others proved as similar as one might expect-- with one exception.

The longer I stayed at it, the more comfortable the Patch knife's handle was to me vs. the Hiking Buddy's. While I cannot know how much confirmation bias might be at play, it was, is, very interesting to me that the contours of the Hiking Buddy's handle + blade approach concentrated my hand forward, leading to growing pressure in my forefinger as it rested and worked right behind the blade/guard:

IMG_3767.jpg~original

Mind you, the Hiking Buddy's handle in isolation is still one of the most comfortable handles I've, well, handled. I'm not talking pain or discomfort, just noticeable pressure noticed by someone specifically focused on Noticing. I was able to adjust my grip and hand position to easily relieve that concentration of pressure. But again, I wanted to see how the knives felt in the grabbing-and-going-- and somehow, the contours of the Patch knife, with its taller handle less acute angle(?), provide more pleasing ergonomics for me, at least in this briefest of testlets.

Intrigued, I continued going back and forth among the knives, and found the result(s) consistent throughout.
[I may try again tomorrow. :D]

It would be interesting to see if a different Patch and Hiking Buddy pairing produced the opposite impression-- and I would not be surprised if it did!

My takeaway: for me, it really is a wash between these two great patterns. Had I not opted for the Patch knife first, a Hiking Buddy would suit me well-- so well, that I could foreseeably add one in 3/32" steel, because I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

And yet, looking again at what I already have...

IMG_0004.jpg~original

... a Hiking Buddy would compete with the Patch knife for carry time/use in the 7.25" range, while its more central point and blade shape are pretty much covered by the slightly smaller Esquire:
IMG_3677.jpg~original

So: I am very (very!) grateful for the opportunity to handle a Hiking Buddy in person, and for Nbrackett's generosity and trust. Having the Hiking Buddy here catalyzed a serious hankering for another fine Fiddleback, and almost a Hiking Buddy.

Yet, my nascent discoveries regarding preferred handle ergonomics, combined with my desire for a bigger blade in my array, throw me back towards a Handyman and/or a Gaucho. I think?

What say ye? :)

~ P.

Love this write up!!! ;) now I must get my HB.. I truly love the blade profile on the HB hands down to the Patch!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all four of the knives in your picture are very versatile blades. I am perhaps most partial to the Stubby-Muk, then the Esquire, then the Patch, then the Hiking buddy. I think the real reason is that I like the smaller knives since I rarely carry anything on a belt or clipped to my pocket. It's always deep inside my pocket with my cell or keys. I like the runt, but the stubby muk just seems to be more useful to me. I like the way that my thumb seems to fit against the spine of the blade at just the right angle. Don't get me wrong, I love all those patterns, but that's how I currently feel. What I need to get hot on is a neck sheath and a pocket sheath for my stubbies. I just want leather and thread, no clips or loops or the sort. Something that will ride in my pocket like a wallet kind of like KSF's wallet sheaths.

Great write up!

I recieved this HB, a Patch and a Bushcrafter Jr as my first Fiddlebacks all on the same day. I prefer the Hiking Buddy to the others based on my use and the overall feel.

I really like that Esquire of yours. I can't decide if I want a Handyman or Esquire as my next Fiddleback purchase.

Last edited:
Awesome write-up ~P~. I enjoyed reading your comments and observations about the comparisons. It was like Deja Vu all over again for me. When I did my comparison two plus years ago on the Hiking Buddy vs. the Patch, I gave a slight edge in versatility to the Patch. Your experience handling and using these knives has led you to a similar conclusion.

I appreciate the fact that you remain open-minded that other examples of these models with thicker handles and/or thinner steel may alter your conclusion somewhat. I have owned two Patch knives; the original Evergreen burlap one in 1/8” O1 SFT with an average thickness handle, and another with a thick Navy burlap handle in 3/32” A2 SFT. I found the latter to be distinctly more comfortable in hand and a better slicer on paper testing.

I went through a similar decision process deciding which of three Hiking Buddies to keep. I finally settled on my bolstered Starry Night burlap in 1/8” A2 SFT because it has a thicker handle and the steel thickness seems appropriate for the activities I like to do with the HB.

I think your comments about how the Hiking Buddy handle shape positions your hand further forward against the guard in use may be caused by the hook shape that extends downward at the back end of the handle. The longer and more open shaped handle on the Handyman may be something you should consider checking out. I still prefer the Hiking Buddy handle, but I am clearly in the minority in this regard. I posted my thoughts and a bunch of comparison photos of these two models here.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...sses-amp-Weights/page8?highlight=Patch+review

In terms of other models to think about next, here are a few suggestions:

I received this pair of 3/32” A2 knives during the same week back in May. Side-by-side comparisons of these two showed me that the Ladyfinger is much more comfortable in hand due to the arched shape of the top of the handle. Yes the Lady is longer, but the weight difference between these two was less than an ounce. That made the Ladyfinger more versatile to me for close to the same weight, so I let go of the Patch.

If you are open to a model from the extended Fiddleback family of makers, I encourage you to take a look at the Osprey Knife & Tool “Raptor.” In 3/32” CPM 154, it is very light and versatile. Similar to the Ladyfinger, the curved shape of the top of the handle sits very comfortably in the pocket of your palm. The Raptor has replaced both of my Patches and two of my three Hiking Buddies if that makes it clear how I feel about it.

You mentioned interest in the Gaucho. I think you would like it because it is distinctly different than your other Fiddlebacks. Because it is well suited for food prep, you will probably use it more often than you would with another small knife that closely overlaps roles with your existing Patch / Esquire / Stubby Muk.

I find the Gaucho to be very maneuverable and nimble in hand.

It is a joy to use for food prep.

Even though mine is “only” 3/32” CPM 154, I don’t shy away from using it for basic woodworking tasks.

The Gaucho is part of my stainless kitchen team along with the W.A. Surls Moray and Osprey K&T Raptor.

That is all I have for now. Thank you again for a very thoughtful comparison review on your part. I appreciate your wit and keen eye for details. It is also nice to have a woman’s perspective on what features or models work best for your uses.

If you want to borrow any of my knives for another comparison, please feel free to ask in a PM.

Thanks,

Phil

Love this write up!!! ;) now I must get my HB.. I truly love the blade profile on the HB hands down to the Patch!! ;)

Thanks. :) For whatever reason, I feel like I should like the Hiking Buddy, at least more than ______ , and if encountered in isolation it would likely prove compelling.

For me, it truly is a wash between the Patch and Hiking Buddy for my uses/tastes in this size range, with nit-picky pros and cons for each only in comparison with t'other. I like the more central tip on the Hiking Buddy, as noted, but overall the design kinda bores me. Go figure!

When determining what my first Fiddleback would be, I wrote down which pattern(s) repeatedly caught my eye across a metric ton of browsed threads, then looked more closely at each knife's OAL. The Patch won out for the size I had in mind, and I have no regrets. I can't, won't, catch 'em all, and the Patch hits its spot very, very well.

However, the parakeet in me ("Squark! PRETTY!!") cannot rule out a future Hiking Buddy in the right clothes. These, for example, take my thoughts in wholly new directions:
Hiking Buddy

z9NQQ9S.jpg

Zczat9K.jpg

xQ9XDJi.jpg

Thanks for the write-up. Nice work!
(Thanks.)

While none of these Hiking Buddys specifically floats my boat enough to add relative redundancy into my small selection, their delectable designs make me keenly aware that, sometime, one just might. :D

I think all four of the knives in your picture are very versatile blades. I am perhaps most partial to the Stubby-Muk, then the Esquire, then the Patch, then the Hiking buddy. I think the real reason is that I like the smaller knives since I rarely carry anything on a belt or clipped to my pocket. It's always deep inside my pocket with my cell or keys. I like the runt, but the stubby muk just seems to be more useful to me. I like the way that my thumb seems to fit against the spine of the blade at just the right angle. Don't get me wrong, I love all those patterns, but that's how I currently feel. What I need to get hot on is a neck sheath and a pocket sheath for my stubbies. I just want leather and thread, no clips or loops or the sort. Something that will ride in my pocket like a wallet kind of like KSF's wallet sheaths.

From the moment I unwrapped my Stubby Muk I knew I was in flat-out Trouble, because of my instant, unreasonable(?) affection for the pattern, with a sudden knowing that I'd want MORE.

This lil' Muk ticks all kinds of boxes for me, including humor-- but is proving to be far more comfortable and practical in use than I could have imagined, eminently totable, and a tremendous conversation starter. The pattern just works for me, on so many levels.

Re the text I've bolded above: how do you currently carry your Stubby Muk(s) deep in your pocket yet without a pocket sheath? Or am I reading you wrong?

The seller included a clipped pocket sheath with my Stubby Muk, and I've since added an APS Reaper. The former was deeper and with slightly less retention than I'd prefer (though a tremendous boon before I could bring another sheath in), while the latter is overkill-- bigger and bulkier than what I have in mind.

IMG_3683.jpg~original

(Super secure and very well made, but I would like less leather and more exposed handle. Minimally, I like the bullseye free and clear). I'm wondering if a Lil' Reaper might fit more to my tastes, and even more, if a mostly-just-blade belt sheath might hit the spot....

Great write up!

I recieved this HB, a Patch and a Bushcrafter Jr as my first Fiddlebacks all on the same day.

What a day! :)

I prefer the Hiking Buddy to the others based on my use and the overall feel.

I really like that Esquire of yours. I can't decide if I want a Handyman or Esquire as my next Fiddleback purchase.

Thank you for the kind words, and especially for sending your Hiking Buddy my way to try. There is nothing not to like about this pattern! My conclusions are as puzzling as they are helpful, but all in all it's a good, real-life reminder to follow my instincts about what I (might) like, and not wrestle too long over 'shoulds and should nots' when it comes to preferences, what to add and what to pass on (or along), etc.

There is nothing like having a knife in-hand to try, and I am very grateful for this chance. :cool:

~ P.

Phil,

Awesome write-up ~P~. I enjoyed reading your comments and observations about the comparisons.

Aw, thanks! I thought of you often throughout my simple try-outs and considerations, with new appreciation for your thoroughness and objectivity as I bumbled along and played at this. You would have gotten a kick out of (or maybe just groaned at) my attempts to balance the knives before simply using my hand. As just one folly.

It was like Deja Vu all over again for me. When I did my comparison two plus years ago on the Hiking Buddy vs. the Patch, I gave a slight edge in versatility to the Patch. Your experience handling and using these knives has led you to a similar conclusion.

Your comparison was very helpful for me, as I'm sure it has been for others. The Patch's lines caught my eye first, and your write-up encouraged me that I was on the right track given my preferences.

At the same time, I am also aware of this....

1-yN2Xhv-M5PPerWzDVNt3sw.jpeg~original

:D

[I wanted to like the Patch knife, and do! Which came first...?!]

I appreciate the fact that you remain open-minded that other examples of these models with thicker handles and/or thinner steel may alter your conclusion somewhat. I have owned two Patch knives; the original Evergreen burlap one in 1/8” O1 SFT with an average thickness handle, and another with a thick Navy burlap handle in 3/32” A2 SFT. I found the latter to be distinctly more comfortable in hand and a better slicer on paper testing.

Oh, my, what a beautiful blue Patch knife!

[I like Evergreen very much as well, but don't know that I will ever opt for it instead.]

My Esquire and Stubby Muk are each 3/32" steel, and I would not be surprised to discover that to be my default preference across even larger patterns [even my Mr. Ugly, the LTWK Bushcrafter HC, is 3/32"]-- the fun part of 'default preferences' being the surprises, those certain knives that blow 'em out of the water. :)

I think your comments about how the Hiking Buddy handle shape positions your hand further forward against the guard in use may be caused by the hook shape that extends downward at the back end of the handle.

You may be right, but-- with your previous words in mind-- that's actually something I looked at more closely once I started noticing the pressure point(s) between the different knives. My hand is relatively small enough, and there was enough 'room' within the Hiking Buddy's handle length, I think it more likely that the deeper, fuller swell in the Patch's handle 'eats up' more of my grip along the way, and creates/invites movement back into it vs. forward.

IMG_3672.jpg~original

Like I said, I can quickly re-orient my hand on the Hiking Buddy's handle to relieve that forward pressure. BUT, given the luxury of choosing between models, I am of course more drawn to one to which I don't have to adjust.

With their shorter lengths, the Esquire and Stubby Muk present their own idiosyncracies re: working out where the butt end falls in my hand and/or what to do with an extra finger or a half towards the rear, but both lean my hand away from that forward point in a pleasing way. [In some ways, the Stubby Muk is more comfortable than the Esquire because there's no room at all for that fourth finger.]

The longer and more open shaped handle on the Handyman may be something you should consider checking out. I still prefer the Hiking Buddy handle, but I am clearly in the minority in this regard. I posted my thoughts and a bunch of comparison photos of these two models here.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...sses-amp-Weights/page8?highlight=Patch+review

Yes, the Handyman now has my attention. :) It might prove to be more of a t'weener than I will be satisfied with long-term, however? As in, I might want to go Clearly Bigger instead of just sorta a little bigger.

In terms of other models to think about next, here are a few suggestions:

I received this pair of 3/32” A2 knives during the same week back in May. Side-by-side comparisons of these two showed me that the Ladyfinger is much more comfortable in hand due to the arched shape of the top of the handle. Yes the Lady is longer, but the weight difference between these two was less than an ounce. That made the Ladyfinger more versatile to me for close to the same weight, so I let go of the Patch.

Comparison pictures (always!) help, especially when they contain a known quantity-- thanks. I've added and then taken the Ladyfinger off my list a few times, because I don't care for how the handle looks. But then, I eliminated the Esquire at first because it looked too squirmy, so one just never knows. Your images certainly make a case for the Ladyfinger. :thumbup:

If you are open to a model from the extended Fiddleback family of makers, I encourage you to take a look at the Osprey Knife & Tool “Raptor.” In 3/32” CPM 154, it is very light and versatile. Similar to the Ladyfinger, the curved shape of the top of the handle sits very comfortably in the pocket of your palm. The Raptor has replaced both of my Patches and two of my three Hiking Buddies if that makes it clear how I feel about it.

That says a lot more than many, many words! I am not drawn to the pattern on looks alone (it appears too extreme for my daily dully uses?), which means there is likely much to be revealed in hand. I wouldn't have thought to look at something like this, so appreciate your expanding my horizons.

You mentioned interest in the Gaucho. I think you would like it because it is distinctly different than your other Fiddlebacks. Because it is well suited for food prep, you will probably use it more often than you would with another small knife that closely overlaps roles with your existing Patch / Esquire / Stubby Muk.

Yes, the Gaucho is very much in my running, for the reasons you mention. I'd like a knife that keeps the mayo off my knuckles when I cut my sandwiches, for example. :D I also very much like its style, which is necessary at this point.

["Style" is the sole reason I am still hankering for a swedged Sylverfalcen, after all, although it keeps turning out to be smaller than I first envisioned. I like its swashbuckle.]

The Gaucho is part of my stainless kitchen team along with the W.A. Surls Moray and Osprey K&T Raptor.

... And this picture, here, swings me harder towards the Gaucho.

More research is indicated. :)

That is all I have for now.

That's a lot. Thank you!

Thank you again for a very thoughtful comparison review on your part. I appreciate your wit and keen eye for details. It is also nice to have a woman’s perspective on what features or models work best for your uses.

You're certainly welcome. As for my "uses"...?

One of my sons asked for "a pocketknife" for his birthday at the end of 2011. Internet research led me to Bladeforums, and my life-long interest in knives was reignited. Suddenly, the SAK Classics and various kitchen castaways from my parents house (including an original late-70s Ginsu knife, which I still have!) were no longer Enough. Although, truth be told, they probably still are, for my actual uses? :eek:

Whoops!

I love the skill and heart that come together in these knives, and in this community. It all comes together for me. There is something so vital, so personal, about a handmade knife that earns my hand. I love the art and execution of these useful cutting tools-- and that I'm not afraid to use them (vs. something that is 'wrecked' if actually used for its created purpose).

I also know that I become bonded to that which I use regularly, and so am trying to be careful in what I add. I have learned that "more is not more," and spreading my affection over too many different pieces would be counterproductive, and ultimately less satisfying.

I won't always get it 'right,' but I sure am having a great time learning about all this-- and carrying my Esquire every day.

My short list for my remaining niches, as currently identified and proven to be fluid:

Handyman
Slyverfalcen

Gaucho

StubbyMukStubbyMukStubbyMukStubbyMuk <-- it could happen.

If you want to borrow any of my knives for another comparison, please feel free to ask in a PM.

Wow-- Uhm, thank you! I think I have enough to go on for now, especially since 1) I'm not in a hurry and 2) I'm feeling pretty solid about the Gaucho notion, in particular. But I will be in touch. :)

~ P.

Two models that you might want to consider are the Monarch and the Asp. The Monarch, in essence, is basically a larger Esquire. It's a great edc and performs well at many varied tasks. The Asp is in the same category. It's handle is super comfortable and the blade profile is super useful. While both models appear to be, from looks alone, discreet "self defense" tools, I can assure you that they preform superbly in the woods, kitchen and around the house or yard. Also, since you mentioned the Handyman, I would recommend that knife as well. It's a design that I feel Andy nailed. The size, handle shape and blade profile all work together perfectly to make a knife that can do most anything you want a knife to do.
If you'd like to try a Handyman in hand, as it were, shoot me a PM. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re the text I've bolded above: how do you currently carry your Stubby Muk(s) deep in your pocket yet without a pocket sheath? Or am I reading you wrong?

The seller included a clipped pocket sheath with my Stubby Muk, and I've since added an APS Reaper. The former was deeper and with slightly less retention than I'd prefer (though a tremendous boon before I could bring another sheath in), while the latter is overkill-- bigger and bulkier than what I have in mind.

IMG_3683.jpg~original

(Super secure and very well made, but I would like less leather and more exposed handle. Minimally, I like the bullseye free and clear). I'm wondering if a Lil' Reaper might fit more to my tastes, and even more, if a mostly-just-blade belt sheath might hit the spot....

~ P.

I have used a taco with a clip and a KSF fold over pocket slip repurposed from a folder. I don't like the pocket slip since I want something a little stouter protecting the tip from punch through and I don't like the taco since the clip seems to always find my cell phone screen and leave a scratch.

Two models that you might want to consider are the Monarch and the Asp....

Hmmmm.... I'd enjoy seeing those in person someday, just to get what they're "about," but their look just doesn't appeal to me, and would be a little much for those around me. People who have them sure do seem to love them, though! :)

Given my (attempted!) focus, I also don't want to duplicate patterns if possible, so, an Esquire writ larger doesn't actually appeal to me the way the Idea of an entirely different pattern does, if that makes sense?

Although, handling and using my Stubby Muk more, I am really liking its wiiiiide spear blade. This leads me to Mini Muk thoughts (a contradiction to the above), but then I remember that I am already wanting a Sylverfalcen, which looks to me like a ground-away Mini Muk...?

If you'd like to try a Handyman in hand, as it were, shoot me a PM. [emoji106]

Thanks! I will certainly let you know. In the meantime, what are your thoughts specific to the Handyman regarding scandi vs. convex, blade thickness, etc.?

I have used a taco with a clip and a KSF fold over pocket slip repurposed from a folder. I don't like the pocket slip since I want something a little stouter protecting the tip from punch through and I don't like the taco since the clip seems to always find my cell phone screen and leave a scratch.

Okay, thanks. VANCE uses a similar repurposed slip with his Stubby Muk, I believe. I just sent mine away this morning, but you've given me further food for thought.

IMG_3773.jpg~original

The top slip is for a Case folding knife. The leather's too thin to hold sufficiently over time and repeated use, and the knife blade would inevitably cut through the bottom in time, but I like the general form factor and may use it as a springboard for later requests.

IMG_3774.jpg~original

IMG_3775.jpg~original

This one fits well...

IMG_3777.jpg~original

... with one serious caveat:

IMG_3778.jpg~original

(The focus is off, but that's the blade there at the bottom, ready to pierce through).

However, it would be simple to place a bar of harder material through the bottom holes and anchor it securely, preventing accidents.

The more I carry the Stubby Muk, the more impressed I am with it as a user, even while its form continues to make me smile.

IMG_3679.jpg~original

Today:

IMG_3790.jpg

~ P.

Otay, that wasn't nice.

It's a #46 Whaler, an extravagance of ebony and steel....

IMG_0668.jpg~original

~ P.

I agree with the 3/32" Ladyfinger being very comfortable and is still my favorite custom FB. However nothing has or will replace my pro-Kephart (yet to date) as the finest "real use" blade ever made.

Otay, that wasn't nice.

It's a #46 Whaler, an extravagance of ebony and steel....

IMG_0668.jpg~original

~ P.

I've been on the hunt for a 46 for a little over a year... at least one that I didn't have to pay an arm and leg for... there's was a 200 dollar one in the exchange but I was too slow... a beautiful blade for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the 3/32" Ladyfinger being very comfortable and is still my favorite custom FB. However nothing has or will replace my pro-Kephart (yet to date) as the finest "real use" blade ever made.

Intriguing recommendation-- and fantastic picture! Thanks.

The Kephart is another I can't quite wrap my mind around, size-wise. I like its lines, but it looks like more knife than I'm up for-- at least, it does in these pictures:

DSC_3277.jpg

DSC_3265.jpg

(mistwalker)

... if more somehow more manageable here:
8.jpg

16.jpg

(also mistwalker)

Hunh.

~ P.

Back