Patina on Comp Finish ??

My Mega RMD I recently got is my first exposure to the comp finish. I love it. It’s just silky smooth.

I’ve stripped and given a patina to many blades because I can’t take care of high carbon steel as meticulously as it needs to be taken care of.

Has anyone added a patina to a comp finish ? If so how was the result ? Did it “take” well ? Did you regret it ?

Thanks in advance

Slam @dams

Not a busse kin but i have a condor knife with a finish very similar to comp finish and i tried to put a patina on it turned out somewhat ok but definitely not as good as a satin finish. Also the patina seemed to spread past where i put the mustard and kind of rust more than patina there. Would not recommend

Yes the buttery smooth finish is what gives me pause and your experience correlates to my concern.

Good to know.

Wow those are much better results than i got. I guess swamp rats/busses have a better comp finish than condor!

Perfect !! Thank you Spyder Phreak for the link. I had forgotten about that thread.

I cut up some potatoes and apples last night (it’s all I had) and plan on cutting up some steak tonight and then letting it sit in some hot apple cider vinegar once I get to the grocery store.

I’m not going for fancy on this one. Just want to dull the shine and help prevent that nasty kind of rust that can develop.

Perfect !! Thank you Spyder Phreak for the link. I had forgotten about that thread.

I cut up some potatoes and apples last night (it’s all I had) and plan on cutting up some steak tonight and then letting it sit in some hot apple cider vinegar once I get to the grocery store.

I’m not going for fancy on this one. Just want to dull the shine and help prevent that nasty kind of rust that can develop.
I’m sure it’ll turn out great. Good luck and please show us your end product!! :):thumbsup:

Warm vinegar in a paper towel leaves really cool patterns on sr101. Just do a few 20 min sessions and it will keep getting darker. Citrus fruits and bloody meat also give it some cool colours

Warm vinegar in a paper towel leaves really cool patterns on sr101. Just do a few 20 min sessions and it will keep getting darker. Citrus fruits and bloody meat also give it some cool colours

E6187039-F6-B0-42-E5-A392-ED5-E5-A36-B84-F.jpg
Did a quick apple vinegar dip just to knock the shine off (even though that finish was beautiful) then cut up a London Broil, cooked it and the sliced the London Broil up and let the juices sit for 20 or so mins. Added a little protection and got that rainbow spectrum going.

I actually regret having to do this but this blade will be a user, as usual and it just needed that first layer of protection. And being a tad bit more dull benefits me in my ninja ways. Can’t have glare giving away my position. I kid, I kid.

Last edited:
Back