1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patina question

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by gonebad395, Sep 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM.

1. gonebad395

gonebad395 Ironworker!

May 19, 2015
    Hello everyone hope you guys are having a great Sunday. I’ve been carrying a Buck 110 for about a year now absolutely love the knive. Picked it up because my grandfather carried one most of his life that I remember.
    For the longest time they didn’t appeal to me I was more into the more modern folders. As I’ve gotten older my tastes started to change and I’ve been carrying the 110 and a small slip joint daily. Not that I don’t like the modern folders anymore but these older styles just feel right.
    So my reason for this thread is the brass on my 110 has gotten tarnished with a patina just wondering do you guys polish your 110s or let the patina run it’s course? Thanks a lot in advance can’t wait to hear what’s you guys do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 1:42 PM
    sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  2. jbmonkey

jbmonkey with special platinum powers Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    some do and some dont. I do once in awhile just to keep it up. just make sure to remove the verdigris the green mess......if it develops from leather sheath storage. brass doesnt have to stay shiny, just cleaned and acidic and corrosive contaminants removed. brass is heavy zinc and zinc will corrode before the copper component in brass. so just keep up with keeping it clean. the tarnish will help protect it.....so dont worry about the browning unless ya just dont like it.

3. kossetx

kossetx

Apr 11, 2017
    Your knife looks pretty darn good to me. On everyday knives I let them be mostly natural. I do wax my knives and sheaths a lot but that's simply because I always seem to have a can of paste wax open. That keeps some tarnish down, but not all.

gonebad395 likes this.
  4. gonebad395

gonebad395 Ironworker!

May 19, 2015
    Yeah I have polished my a few times this is about a 2 month patina. I was just sitting here watching tv and my little one asked me to cut a new toy open for her. As I got to looking at it the question popped into my head figured I’d ask. What kind of paste wax do you use on your sheath and wood?

5. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    I like to see the brass take on all it's many forms. Kind of like the change of the seasons. When it's time to clean up, i use Flitz polish.

gonebad395 likes this.
  6. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I only polish my bolsters if/when I'm putting the knife up for a while.

With the patina, they are not a fingerprint/smudge magnet.
    I am not fond of fingerprints and/or smudges on my knives.

jbmonkey and gonebad395 like this.
  7. drei3ree

drei3ree Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2015
    If it's a collectible 110, I polish when it needs it (I just know...). If it's a user, just don't even worry about it cause it'll still work just great, patina and all!

gonebad395 likes this.
  8. The Fort

The Fort Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2012
    To each, his own. For me, no polishing! 839C1B5E-AC44-407F-A910-910F79AA7711.jpeg

9. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    For that reason I don't like the brass. It won't stay shiny. The patina on brass does nothing for me.

gonebad395 and jbmonkey like this.
  10. imafritz

imafritz

Dec 30, 2008
    Only if I see green

gonebad395 likes this.
  11. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    I polish mine by frequently removing and then reinserting it into it's sheath.:) It doesn't eliminate the patina, but it does keep it from getting to dark. It has also radiusd the bolsters of my old square frame enough, that they almost match the look of the modern 110s.

O.B.

12. eveled

eveled Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Never have never will polish my 110's. If verdigris appears, it gets knocked off. That's it. They get washed in hot water, or a Lysol wipe. That's it.

If it bothers you, your best bet is to only buy ones with nickel silver bolsters.

13. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    My preference is the earlier 500 series with SS bolsters, even the NS patinas, but not nearly as bad, and use will keep it pretty good.

jbmonkey likes this.
  14. eveled

eveled Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    There are variances in the NS bolsters too. Some are darker than others.

15. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    I generally let mine go -- for one thing it covers the scratches and scrapes that have accumulated over the past 40 years! But, every once in a while I decide to clean it up. I still have a can of Brasso that is at least as old as the knife and it does a good job. Other times I use Flitz.

Speaking of nickel silver, I just bought a 503 and I didn't think the bolsters were quite a bright as they should be. A few minutes with some Flitz and they are very shiny.

16. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    I have an old 112 and a 55. When they need polishing I give 'em a rubdown with a Miracle Cloth. Fantastic product.