Patina

In my humble opinion, the only way to properly put a patina a knife is to cut open several properly cooked rare steaks (obviously on a cutting board.) Preferably on a Friday night with some cold beers so that you can enjoy your new knife properly. If I'm the only one who looks forward to putting a patina on a new knife over beer and steak, then I feel bad for you "only stainless" guys. Although I still respect your opinion and am certainly thankful you are in the community.

Last edited:
Blades with a patina just look so cool to me. I like cutting fruit and vegetables to build up a patina.

In my humble opinion, the only way to properly put a patina a knife is to cut open several properly cooked rare steaks (obviously on a cutting board.) Preferably on a Friday night with some cold beers so that you can enjoy your new knife properly. If I'm the only one who looks forward to putting a patina on a new knife over beer and steak, then I feel bad for you "only stainless" guys.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion - however humble it may, or may not, be - it is yours, after all. I happen to disagree with it (and I'm not a stainless only guy), but I'm not going to belabor the matter.
Enjoy your Friday however you see fit.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion - however humble it may, or may not, be - it is yours, after all. I happen to disagree with it (and I'm not a stainless only guy), but I'm not going to belabor the matter.
o_O?

'Why So Serious' on an obvious foot-in-mouth post? Rough Fridays...statues n stuff.

I prefer to get my first initial patina from chicken, because it gives me a nice firey blue color like this.

Stainless steel blades aren't a deal breaker, but a carbon steel blade just ages so much better, carbon steel develops a nice patina while stainless just gets scratched and fugly looking.

I prefer to get my first initial patina from chicken, because it gives me a nice firey blue color like this.

Stainless steel blades aren't a deal breaker, but a carbon steel blade just ages so much better, carbon steel develops a nice patina while stainless just gets scratched and fugly looking.
I'll have to try chicken out! That blade looks great!

Lol my Lionsteel M4 in M390 is probably my second most carried knife if that makes matters any better.

What knife are you using to cut your steak? Any pics with the patina?

For lunch I used my well worn Tops B.O.B, which has recently been used for a lot of wood work. The patina had become considerably less prominent so I figured I would go ahead and give it a new life. Also put a convex secondary bevel on it yesterday and have been pretty happy with the results

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 35
Thanks man, twas a tongue in cheek post. I do have my M390 Lionsteel M4 on my belt after all. I hope you enjoy yours as well. May your edges always be sharp

WDmsXeO.jpg

here's my northwoods bear lake user with me today. no "forced" patina, did nothing to even out or touch up. Just fully natural, cut and clean. some items cut include but not limited to: lemon, apple, melon, nectarine, avocado

Thanks Josh for making me want to spend more money. Haha, that Bear Lake is awesome man! Glad to see you getting your money's worth out of it!

Thanks Josh for making me want to spend more money. Haha, that Bear Lake is awesome man! Glad to see you getting your money's worth out of it!

yea, i bought this in mint condition, but at a great price ($140 g&s), then devalued it a lot by using the crap out of it and sharpenning. i've seen them pop up around $150-$170 if you're interested

Back