Patrolman revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lynn
Thank you for allowing me the right to express an opinion but i do not have to own a knife to be able to have an opinion on the knife if i have the knife in my posession and time to examine it.
Thank you for posting facts. When all is said and done that is all that is important.

Funny how when you saw a negative review pop up you E-mailed MD2020 and wanted it overnight . Have you ever ask someone to send you what they thought was a good "Griffith" . Or do you only want the one so called faulty one out of how many?

P.S. Don't ask for mine....
smile.gif

Just to correct a couple of the facts. I did not pay 200 for the knife, as I recall it was 220 or 225. The extra 20 or 25 was to have the final touches put on the knife a week or so early.

It wasnt 11 knives I bought, it was 9
smile.gif

I am editing this post simply to add a couple of things, nothing has been edited out.

The 220 or 225 I paid for the knife is not what it lists for. It was listed for 285, and I was offered the discount as I had bought so many. I did not misrepresent the amount paid. When I sold the knife, I told the buyer what I paid for it.

As for Tom just asking for a knife to do a bad review about, thats is not accurate. He, as I understand it, reserved all comment, as he wanted the knife in hand so he could make accurate observations of it.

Richard

------------------
Richard
icq 61363141
Just some knife pictures http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=110070&a=4518795

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 05-14-2000).]

If you're speaking to me Dave. you're making incorrect assumption that a review being negative had anything to do with my requesting a chance to see the knife.
Where did anything I posted about the knife give you the idea that was the reason i wanted to see the knife? And to answer your question I have already asked one of those that posted in a favorable manner about lynns knives, who is not a member of the lynn Griffith fan club, to allow me review the knife that he owns.
I can assure you that my review will be absolutely unbiased as was the first one.

Lynn as to fact 9, have you asked any of your customers to post in your favor, good reviews, to bring a + post on your knives back up, or to defend you or your knives?

To: Tom , Just seems you weren't trying real hard to see one till this one pops up.....If he owns a Griffith he's in the "Fan Club". He may not like it but he's in the club....

Maybe its just your attitude , negitive vibes man............
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by SuperDave (edited 05-14-2000).]

Dave
You're probably right that my gruff manner might give the inpression that I have a prejudice against Lynns knives. But if lynn thinks back a few months to when he occasionally stopped into the blade chats it as I that encouraged him to come to the New York Knife Show. It was I that told him that I believed it was a great show for him to get exposure that would help his career. It was I that even suggested a tanto style knife under 4 inches blade that would probably be a good seller for him in New York. Does that sound like I want to hurt his career? Do you remember me telling you these things, Lynn?
My opinions on the knife I held are about as unbiased as a person can get.
Are yours?

[This message has been edited by TomW (edited 05-14-2000).]

I'd will be willing to bet that if you look long enough and hard enough you can find a Bob Loveless knife that is less than perfect. If someone were to critique that knife in a manner that is suggestive of it being representative, picking it apart, even denegrating Loveless' skill as a knifemaker and his professional integrity, I suspect Bob and a bunch of other knifemakers would be annoyed. Like I am.

I'd also be willing to bet that everyone reading this would prefer that every detail of everything they do in their own professional life not be publicly scrutinized or subjected to public ridicule, whenever it strikes someone's fancy.

Indeed, most good knife writers are not knifemakers, though many are. All good knife writers, however, treat knives and knifemakers with some measure of respect for the effort, dedication and skill needed to make those knives. The last thing one of these writers would do it to take a single example of a makers work and suggest that it is representative of that maker's abilities. None would impugn his integity. All would endeavor to provide a balanced review.

Tom, in the course of your 12 paragraphs, you found a single tangible fault, mismatched plunge lines on Lynn's knife. That was your one "fact". Your one positive comment about the scale fit was quickly erased by the fault of the "ever so slightly" thinner scale on one side. The balance of your diatribe was just opinion, all of which was negative and sarcastic in the extreme.

This is a business. Those of us in it for any length of time, and with any public following at all, work very hard to produce the best product we are capable of producing. We bust our butts to make knives that people will like, use and take pride in owning. No question, some knives are our best and some are not. Some knives end up in the trash pile, some don't. One way or another, the bell shaped curve applies to this as it does to all other endeavors. Every fulltime knifemaker I know puts in at least 60 hour weeks. The pay sucks. The working conditions are hazzardous to our health. And for whatever reason we each may have for pursuing this profession, Tom, we damned sure don't do it to satisfy your opinion on a borrowed knife.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

Mr.Hossom
I couldn't give a S***less why you make knives. If you're not happy don't whine about it get another job.
I'll continue to review knives in the no BS manner that i do. I'm not going to be bullied and flamed away from posting the TRUTH.

[This message has been edited by TomW (edited 05-14-2000).]

Wow, let's all simmer down now, folks.

No one is saying that knife makers are lazy bastards existing only to line their pockets. No one is saying that you have to have a doctoral thesis in english to make a salient review.

Let's all calm down a little bit and try to discuss this calmly and rationally. IIRC, the subject was a particular knife from a particular maker, not all makers / reviewers in general?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Ahhh, the comradery. Brings a freakin tear to my eye. I don't have the stomach to keep posting responses to this crap, but I do want to make one thing crystal clear. I brought the old Patrolman review back to the top. No one asked me to, and if you don't believe that, I'm hating it for ya. I respond to negative comments about Griffith knives because I've busted my butt working construction for a damn long time in order to afford the knives I buy, and I do know a thing or two about them. You folks who keep stating that people who like Lynn's knives are "maniacs" or "brainwashed" or "uninformed" make me sick. Get a life, buy a knife, and get on with it. You're polluting this forum with personal crap. Take it to email, and here's where to start:
ptpalpha@aol.com
Paul Petrick

I guess it is time I reply, since I've been bashed a number of times for buying one of Lynn's knives.

I payed good, hard earned money for this knife. Less than what it was posted for http://pub5.ezboard.com/flynngriffithknivesforumpatrolman.showMessage?topicID=3.topic
I sent Lynn an email and told him it was a nice little knife. When a maker looks at another makers work, we usually say that.

Several people on BF.com chat asked to see it so I sent it to them.

They reviewed it. It's their opinion on that particular knife. Don't read into it.

I plan to have it at the Blade Show. Anyone is welcome to look at it.

Lynn had been making knives for 12-13 years. Have to take the bad, usually small, with the good, usually big. Get over it. Those guys did a review of their opinion. All the comments in the world aren't gonna change their minds.

I have received numerous emails about the reviews. To those of you that called me bad names cause I bought the knife, all I can say is "Bite Me". To the others that wanted me to send them the knife to look for themselves, I'll have to think about that. I don't need the heartburn.

I don't understand why Lynn brought my name up as the buyer of the knife. I can't see how that was pertinent to the reviews by md2020 and TomW. I was a customer.

I visit Lynn's forum often. http://pub5.ezboard.com/blynngriffithknivesforum
Visit it, it's is an interesting forum.

Richard, if you don't want it, I'll take the steak dinner!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Originally posted by Richard:
It is stated that the only way somebody would accept a critisism of the knife is LEO/Military type who actually has tactical uses for knives. That kind of silly. Does that also apply to those who say good things about it? If they have no LEO background, and therefore wouldnt know if the knife is bad or not, then how would that same person know if its good? The fact is, people know what they like and dislike in a knife, regardless of thier 'tactical' background.

Regarding whether the knife is a good tactical knife or not (which is what I meant to imply when I posted that above)? Yes, it applies equally to all, good or bad. Actually, I'm not even sure that I'd accept LEO/Military opinions about whether it is tactical, the more I think about it. Unless said LEO/Mil has actually used the knife in "anger/extremis". Although a review by "Gaucho," and a couple of others that I can't remember, may be an exception.

I don't think that anything else I said disagreed directly with what TomW said. If it did, I will go back and edit it. IIRC, the only other thing I said was that my SUB Texan did not exhibit any of the faults that TomW mentioned. Or maybe that was in another thread. Anyway.....

------------------
iktomi

Originally posted by TomW:
I'm not going to be bullied and flamed away from posting the TRUTH.

Then post the truth (facts). Your original review was laced with opinion. Very little fact. The facts of your review can be summed up in 5 sentences:

The plunge cuts are uneven.
One scale is thinner than the other.
The serrations are uneven/poorly ground.
The hand rubbed finish is not well done.
Oh, and the kydex is kydex.

I believe that about sums it up. The reason that your negative review can't be taken seriously or just accepted (at least by me) is that it is laced with so much negative opinion, and supposition. By contrast, another reviewer on this forum often finds bad things about knives. But, they are either simple facts, without embellishment, or they are stated as simply his opinion, and worth about that much. Instead of 2 or more pages of flame war over his reviews, he gets a lot of admiration and thanks. Hmmm...

Oh, and one more thing. I don't accept positive "tactical" reviews of knives as anything more than opinion either. I have yet to buy a knife because someone said it was tactical. Mainly because if I tried to use a tactical knife the way some of you guys can, I'd most likely get it taken away from me and shoved up my ***.
------------------
iktomi

[This message has been edited by rockspyder (edited 05-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rockspyder (edited 05-15-2000).]

geez you Lynn Griffith groupies just don't give up.
you can try to distort the facts, drag up year old threads, attack the character and motives of anybody that posts a negative comment about your heroes knives, band together and plan an organized assault on the review but that doesn't change anything. The knife i reviewed was a poorly made knife. There is nothing you can do to change that ACCEPT IT All your double talk can't make a bad knife into a good one.
Do you guys shave your heads and pass out Lynn Griffith brochures at airports?

[This message has been edited by TomW (edited 05-15-2000).]

Time to let this one settle to the bottom.

------------------
AKTI Member # A000005
Living life "on the edge"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back