Pay it Forward Giveaway #3!(Winner Daniel Dorn!)

alright the time has finally come for the 3rd pay it forward giveaway! i was the lucky winner of the second one in which i won a beautiful Boker Treebrand Stockman with rosewood handles. thank you Tahts-a-dats-ago! part of the spirit of this giveaway is for the winner to keep this giveaway alive and to start another pay it forward giveaway in the future. this giveaway was originally started by Rick, thank you so much for starting something awesome!

so for my pay it forward giveaway i am offering a lightly used Case Peanut in stainless steel. im not sure what color the bone scales are, but you can see in the pictures they have a beautiful color.

i will use a random number picker site to choose the winner and i will let this run until midnight of next friday 3/9/2012. below is the original text from Rick's first pay it forward giveaway explaining the rules. good luck everybody!!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm hoping that this will be the beginning of an on-going reciprocity exchange in which the winner will pay-it-forward with another Traditional forum giveaway; each subsequent winner taking up the obligation in turn.

The rules are simple:

Anyone, anywhere, can enter.

Your post number is your entry number, so please post one time only.

The winner agrees to start another pay-it-forward giveaway of their own, likewise urging the next winner to continue in kind, and so on. Failure to do so may incur karmic repercussions. Anything related to traditional knives is fine; a knife, a knife care product, a book, a pouch or case, a collectible peripheral, etc.; it's up to you.

To keep things interesting, please post a photo (or more) that helps tell the story of who you are and why you like traditional knives. It could be a picture of your past, or a picture of your present.

If you don’t have a picture to post, please post a short story telling us how you came to like traditional knives.

______________________________________________________________________________________

c134d007.jpg

caf1d5b4.jpg

Last edited:
Not an entry, for obvious reasons, but here's a big
Thumbs-Up.jpg
for the giveaway. I thought this puppy had run outta gas a while back, so it's great to see it back in full schwing. Nice Peanut, too!

xtonesterx,
thank you for your generosity, and for keeping this alive. This is not an entry, but thank you anyway.

Fausto
:cool:

For me, my love of traditionals wasn't from my dad or grandfather so much but because they have stood the test of time. My grandfather had a small skrimshawed bone lock back parker which I have, but he was a politician, and didn't need to have a real hard working knife. My dad pretty much just carries a box cutter due to work regulations. I do hope that I will be able to instill a love of traditional knives to my young son when he comes of age. Hopefully I can give him one I made as his first knife on his 5th or 6th birthday or whenever he is deemed responsible enough. He is such a big part of my life that I enjoy having him sit next to me while I sharpen knives, so I give him a block of wood and a plastic knife just to watch him mimmic me!

Maybe I can start the cycle of passing down my knives and then to his son and so on.

Thanx for such a generous offer!

Peace-

2012-01-07104009.jpg

-Xander

I'd like to be in on this one. The middle of November is a long ways away and I'll probably forget about it by then.

I'll probably add a photo to this post in a day or so, but in the spirit of the GA I came to like traditional knives because I grew up with them in my youth. I tried several modern folders and have a couple of modern knives I like, but I found out during that time that I really preferred to carry a traditional and since about 2005 I have carried a traditional pretty much exclusively. I only carried modern folders for about three years before 2005, so the huge majority of my life I have carried traditonal folders.

This is also not an entry, since I already have a very similar Peanut, but thanks for keeping it going. We do something similar on the SIG forum, and several years ago I won a Galco mag carrier. I have used it a lot, in fact it is on my belt today.

Big Thumbs Up :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Not an entry on my part, but I wanted to voice my appreciation of your continuing the pay it forward giveaway. Nice Case.

Thank you for your awesome generosity, this is what keeps us guys in Traditionals here apart from the rest, not an entry, as I have hands like frying pans, so I find the bigger knife more me, but a awesome give-away.

I'd love to get a peanut, but I don't know if I can wait 'til November! :D:p

Thanks for the generosity.

My dad is a carpenter, by education, and was always carrying around a 2-bladed traditional of some sort, usually something he found on-site. Mom used to get Fingerhut cataloges in the mail, and my brothers and I would love to thumb through the "99 cent" pages and pick stuff out to buy with our allowance. I remember getting a solar powered keychain flashlight, a bag of marbles and a brass/wood lockback. Treasures to an 8-yr old. Ever since then, I've had a passion for knives, of all sorts. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I started getting back into traditionals, though. THis forum is the reason, with all the great folks with a visible passion for the style.

Last edited:
Count me in, thanks for chance this is a great system! And even better community

All of the men in this picture either carried or will carry traditional. Seems to have worked out ok for them.
family.jpg
Please count me in.

Thank you for the opportunity!! Count me in!

Edited to add:
I apologize, I got so excited in the peanut giveaway that I did not read the direction in its entirety.:rolleyes:

I actually do not own any traditional knife currently (unless the Vic ALOX Soldier is considered traditional). I started out with modern locking one hand openers thinking I would never be interested in traditionals....until I started to browse the traditional forums LOL. So many good-looking knives!!!
After a few minutes of browsing in this forum I started wanting a peanut, then a sway back jack, then a stockman, then a sodbuster jr., and so on......it’s a curse!!!

Growing up in Japan I didn’t grow up around a lot of knives. Even though it’s not very knife-friendly in Japan I still remember the Vic Classic that my dad had on his keys and the Opinel that he used on occasion to cut up some fruits.
I really enjoy how traditional knives look better and better as they age. I hope to be able to pass them on to my daughter (when I get one) when she gets older.

Last edited:
Count me in. I'd love to try out a peanut :). Thank you for the chance
I'll add in a little bio tonight along with a pic or two :) (always have to read the fine print!)

Last edited:
Count me in. I'd love to try out a peanut :). Thank you for the chance
I'll add in a little bio tonight along with a pic or two :) (always have to read the fine print!)

So why did I get interested in traditional knives... This is actually a real tough one for me to answer because I don't know what really started my interest. No relatives of mine ever carried a traditional, although my dad did own and use a buck 110 (my dream knife as a youth). One thing that probably sparked my interest is that I have always had an interest in the past. I have always felt that I was born in the wrong time so to speak. Sure there are many luxuries of today, but somehow I have always felt this way of life is somehow unfulfilling. Traditional lives bring me back to a better time in a little way.

I'd love to get a peanut, but I don't know if I can wait 'til November! :D:p

Thanks for the generosity.

My dad is a carpenter, by education, and was always carrying around a 2-bladed traditional of some sort, usually something he found on-site. Mom used to get Fingerhut cataloges in the mail, and my brothers and I would love to thumb through the "99 cent" pages and pick stuff out to buy with our allowance. I remember getting a solar powered keychain flashlight, a bag of marbles and a brass/wood lockback. Treasures to an 8-yr old. Ever since then, I've had a passion for knives, of all sorts. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I started getting back into traditionals, though. THis forum is the reason, with all the great folks with a visible passion for the style.

and you sir are the winner of the 3rd Pay It Forward Giveaway! please remember one of the rules of this giveaway is to keep this amazing act of generosity alive by offering another pay it forward giveaway in the future! i will be sending you a pm shortly to get your shipping info.

thank you to everyone who entered!

Cool!

My Karma must be in good shape! I've already got a knife in mind for the next Pay-It-Forward...

Thanks, PM Replied to.

Congrats to the new owner...maybe a future member of the "peanut club"? :D
And thanks again for the giveaway xtonesterx. :thumbup:

Fausto
:cool.

Back