How do I? Payment for a sold item?

lst

For a newbie; How do I get paid if I sell a knife on the forum? Are there specific rules for reimbursement for sold items? If yes where could I find these rules/regulations, please? Thank you. Lajos

For a newbie; How do I get paid if I sell a knife on the forum? Are there specific rules for reimbursement for sold items? If yes where could I find these rules/regulations, please? Thank you. Lajos

That is up to you and the buyer. Many use PayPal or USPS money orders, but there are other methods available.

Here's the link to the Exchange rules. This will cover the memberships (Gold minimum to sell your stuff) and the dos and don'ts.
https://www.bladeforums.com/help/exchange-rules/

Thank you for your response and the information. I have already read the Exchange Rules. I know what I want to sell and for how much.
Does that mean that if I should use Pay Pal they will take about 10% of my sales price and the buyer has also to pay sales tax or e-bay takes me coming and going? Can I just request the buyer to send me a check and I will mail the item upon receiving the check? No losses or extra charges on either side in a private sale. Or is this asking too much in terms of trust. Am I too simple minded?
Sorry to bother you further with my questions. Lajos

Thank you for your response and the information. I have already read the Exchange Rules. I know what I want to sell and for how much.
Does that mean that if I should use Pay Pal they will take about 10% of my sales price and the buyer has also to pay sales tax or e-bay takes me coming and going? Can I just request the buyer to send me a check and I will mail the item upon receiving the check? No losses or extra charges on either side in a private sale. Or is this asking too much in terms of trust. Am I too simple minded?
Sorry to bother you further with my questions. Lajos
PayPal goods and services fee is only 2.9% to the seller, unless it’s international. Sales Tax isn’t added to any PayPal payments. Not sure what you mean about eBay. Personally, I’d never mail a check to an internet stranger, but its your sale you can ask whatever payment method you want

You can ask for whatever payment method you wish and which is agreed upon by the buyer.

Trust needs to be earned. You have two posts here, and no feedback, so it would be hard to get a sense for your trustworthiness based on your history on BF.

Because of that I wouldn't send you a check (nothing personal!), but if your listing was solid and reassuring I'd certainly pay via PayPal goods and services.

Trust needs to be earned. You have two posts here, and no feedback, so it would be hard to get a sense for your trustworthiness based on your history on BF.

Because of that I wouldn't send you a check (nothing personal!), but if your listing was solid and reassuring I'd certainly pay via PayPal goods and services.
Thank you for your well meant response. I can not disagree. Lajos
You can ask for whatever payment method you wish and which is agreed upon by the buyer.
Thank you. I see the point in yours and the other responses I have just received. Obviously Pay Pal is the way to go. I was going out of the assumption that the seller fee is higher. I have just sold a knife on e bay for $ 225.00 and I have received $ 192.92 for it. That is - 14.257% Now again I do not even know if e bay and Pay Pal is one and the same company, but my payment was transferred by Pay Pal to my bank account for this e-bay sale. They must be working together. By the way the buyer also paid approx. 9.5% sales tax to e-bay. Lajos

PayPal goods and services fee is only 2.9% to the seller, unless it’s international. Sales Tax isn’t added to any PayPal payments. Not sure what you mean about eBay. Personally, I’d never mail a check to an internet stranger, but its your sale you can ask whatever payment method you want
Please see my replay to Andy the Aussie. Lajos

I see your point.

Check Paypal to be sure; but I believe the percentage went up (possibly the transaction fee, as well).

Sell on eBay attracts listing and final sales fees, they also may collect tax from the buyer.

Using PayPal as a transaction tool does not attract any of the eBay fees unless the sale was via eBay. Sell here on BF only costs you the PayPal % and transaction fee.

Some will depend on what you are selling. If it is extreme demand, buyers may risk a bit more. The easiest way for a new seller will be PP G&S. After you surpass the $600 level you will be responsible for income tax reporting, but with records this should be no big deal. I believe PP may withhold income tax estimate if you have not provided a social security #. Oher methods of payment can be used, but require various levels of trust.

I would open a Paypal and one other, either Venmo or one of the others. They are free to open, and this way if someone doesn't like PP, you can use Venmo. Always good to have two choices.

Back