Paysan First Impressions?

Since it seems some people have started getting theirs stateside I figured I see if anybody has impressions to share? It seems to be due next week here in the EU and I am a bit on the fence in part because it's 615$ here thanks to tax.

Fit/finish/machining is all typical Taichung quality. Blade centering is perfect, probably the best action for a spydie on bearings that I've tried. Some serious finger guillotine potential when closing one handed. The clip is fine, nothing flashy but it's more functional than the clip on the Drunken. Only minor complaint is the pointy frame. It can be a serious hot spot when pocketing.

SlUrAxX.jpg

My detent is light but not as bad as some of the youtube vids I've seen, it takes me 3-4 solid flicks to wrist it out.

Paysan on the exchange.

At $100 over MAP. It's already too expensive at $520 MAP.

Guess it just depends on how much you want one. There are lots of knives to choose from at $520 but I'm priced out at $400 max, which is the most I'll pay for any knife.

Last edited:
I am sending mine back, the detent is very loose and it is too easy to shake out. Might see if they can swap for another one.

Overall impressions:

* Beautiful, well made
* Nice flow to the design
* Clip is meh, but not that big of a deal to me
* Blade is thick and it felt a little blade heavy, a trip to REK for a regrind might be in order
* Detent is super weak, turned it upside down, gentle shake and it flipped open

Sent back to Knifecenter, but will keep an eye out to buy one in the future if there is a batch with a stronger detent.

Fit/finish/machining is all typical Taichung quality. Blade centering is perfect, probably the best action for a spydie on bearings that I've tried. Some serious finger guillotine potential when closing one handed. The clip is fine, nothing flashy but it's more functional than the clip on the Drunken. Only minor complaint is the pointy frame. It can be a serious hot spot when pocketing.

SlUrAxX.jpg

My detent is light but not as bad as some of the youtube vids I've seen, it takes me 3-4 solid flicks to wrist it out.
What's going on with the grind, it looks serrated with a really wide bevel and a dull tip!

Bahahaha I took a quick look and for a second I thought that picture was the blade only.

Carry on.

Appreciate the input. I'm gonna get an email when they land, so still some time to think, if I do pull the trigger I will ask to check the detent because I rather not deal with sending it back. I wish they had given the scales/frame some color.

b00n b00n I still really want one, but have to wait for now.

To me, when I compare the Paysan to the WE Tyche or the Rike Thor3... Both integrals. Those have some great detents, and they can't be shaken open and won't fall open in your pocket, period. I would give the Paysan a 50/50 chance of it opening in pocket. Some doubt that an integral can have a strong detent, but they can and they should.

b00n b00n I still really want one, but have to wait for now.

To me, when I compare the Paysan to the WE Tyche or the Rike Thor3... Both integrals. Those have some great detents, and they can't be shaken open and won't fall open in your pocket, period. I would give the Paysan a 50/50 chance of it opening in pocket. Some doubt that an integral can have a strong detent, but they can and they should.

It might be a case of "if we make the detent too strong people won't be able to flick it open" in the case of the Paysan while the the other two have flippers. And Spyderco doesn't have a particularly ...noteworthy history of flipper opening knives, the Amalgam had supposedly also some detent strength issues, although on the Amalgam it should be easily fixable with some bending of the compression lock to exert some more pressure (assuming the ball and hole are appropriately sized)

At $100 over MAP. It's already too expensive at $520 MAP.

Guess it just depends on how much you want one. There are lots of knives to choose from at $520 but I'm priced out at $400 max, which is the most I'll pay for any knife.

to be fair, it's not just a regular paysan.. it was a small batch released and signed by Peter Rassenti... they werent sold at MAP

to be fair, it's not just a regular paysan.. it was a small batch released and signed by Peter Rassenti... they werent sold at MAP

What exactly is entailed in this small batch release? Did he sign the actual knife? Or just the pouch? How’s the detent on your’s? Mine is pretty weak, but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to open in my pocket considering it’s a tip-up RH carry,....unless people carry those on their LH side lol.

It’s quite blade-heavy, but it cuts like a champ due to that, not in terms of “slicing” bcuz the blade stock is pretty thick. Spydie hole is nicely chamfered, jimping is nice — not too aggressive, but a bit more unique than the usual jimping on PM2’s.

Is that worth an extra $100?

Personally, I think not but, if it is to you or anyone else, go for it. The knife is still available the last I looked. So, it's apparently not worth the extra $ to anyone else. At least not yet.

The pouch is signed.
According the pics in the sale thread not the knife is signed as far as i see it

What exactly is entailed in this small batch release? Did he sign the actual knife? Or just the pouch? How’s the detent on your’s? Mine is pretty weak, but I’m pretty sure it’s not going to open in my pocket considering it’s a tip-up RH carry,....unless people carry those on their LH side lol.

It’s quite blade-heavy, but it cuts like a champ due to that, not in terms of “slicing” bcuz the blade stock is pretty thick. Spydie hole is nicely chamfered, jimping is nice — not too aggressive, but a bit more unique than the usual jimping on PM2’s.

I think spyderco messed up the detent.... I fixed i though. Now it's what spyderco should have released.... A Rassenti for 1/3rd the price

https://streamable.com/tazog

The pouch is signed.
According the pics in the sale thread not the knife is signed as far as i see it

Yes, it's only the pouch that's signed but how do you know it was actually signed by the designer?

Is there a certificate of authenticity provided w/the pouch to verify it (such as comes w/sports memorability now)? If not, then it is pretty much worthless for purposes of resale IMO.

Yes, it's only the pouch that's signed but how do you know it was actually signed by the designer?

Is there a certificate of authenticity provided w/the pouch to verify it (such as comes w/sports memorability now)? If not, then it is pretty much worthless for purposes of resale IMO.

Probably because they came directly from peter?

Those who know..... know

Back