PE2

I just went to my friend's store in Allentown and checked out his new shipment of knives. He showed me the PE2 and I took it on the spot.

It's been years since I bought a SOG knife and I generally only buy custom knives these days. The PE2 however is one of the best defensive production knives I have handled.It has nsted steel liners - very nice touch and reversible left/right clip. The best thing about this knife is its balance and feel. Absolutely first class!

I urge martial artists to get one.

The clip is a bit flimsy. My only problem with the knife is that I wish the clip and its screws were black.

How about it?

I agree on the clip and screws being black. I think the larger your knife gets the more consideration should be given to a lower profile appearance in carry mode.
The one thing I don't like is the clipped off tip (or the shark tooth tip?)I can understand that SOG is trying to strengthen the tip, but I think they could have just made the blade wider just before the tip without creating two additional edges. This style of blade looks and feels like a thruster, and if that is the case, I recommend keeping the tip somewhat wide, but lose the flatttened triangle tip. The wider the tip, the more resistance the user has to overcome, I haven't had time yet to do comparison thrusting(I use phonebooks for penetration gauging) yet, so for now this is IMHO.
I too love the nested steel liners, they give it a real heft and solid feel.
I think this is a great start for SOG, I can see a folding SOG Bowie style blade working well in this new size range, or maybe a 5" zytel Vision? the Omni-Vision?

Ken

Ken,

The shark's tooth tip is interesting. I don't really know what to make of it yet.

The one bonus is that it does provide a little sharpened blade on the false edge region of the blade - nice for reverse grip and forward grip back cuts.

However, the drawback for me is that the shark's tooth tip seems to be sharpened at a different angle than the primary edge. I am not great at sharpening blades and this may cause a problem while re-touching the edge. But it really is of no great concern.

I love the knife and hope to see a blackened clip/screws in the future.

Hi Ronald & Ken,

Thanks for your support of the PE2 and comments. I've been amazed at the knife myself.

Regarding the clip, my question is: Have either of you owned a SOG knife with this clip design? If so, have you (or anyone you know) had problems with it? Our returns on this clip have been very, very small.

The reason I ask is that though it looks like it might be weak, it absolutely is not. It is designed very strong. It is also designed skeletonized for gripping with fingers (for stability) and added gripping to the pocket. It is also very springy and resilient.

pentelite2.gif

Hope this helps.

Ron@SOG

------------------
Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 09-18-2000).]

How does it compare to the large Rekat Sifu?
Does SOG sell a large sheath for the PE II?

Hi Ron,

No, I don't have a problem with the design /function of the pocket clip, I'd just like to see it in black for a lower key appearance while in carry mode.

Thanks,
Ken

The PE II is quite a nice knife.

I love the solidity of the arc lock. When this thing is locked, it is locked.
smile.gif

The handle flares outward at the top and bottom, making for a very solid grip in the middle of the handle.

The stiff steel liners combined with the shape of the handle give the PE II a feel almost like that of a fixed blade.

The clip is much stronger than it looks. I would say it is actually more resilient than most solid steel clips of the same size. Take it from me, there is absolutely no reason to worry about this clip.

The knife was sharp right out of the box except for the tip. This may just be my knife. The bevels that make up the shark's tooth tip look a little funny.

The serrations are not as crude as most serrations you see these days. They are sharp right up to the tips and cut quite well.

The knife is actually too easy to open. The massive blade combined with smooth blade travel allow one to open the knife without using the thumbstud. While this can be done with many knives, but the maneuver is so easy with the PE II that someone unfamiliar with the knife can learn such an opening within a few seconds of picking up the knife. This includes police officers :O This leaves the legality of the knife in question. Any comments on this point, Ron?

Overall, the PE II seems to be a winner.

SOG is sure coming out with some nice products this year.
smile.gif

-Mike Burnett

Ron,

Failure of the clip is not a concern...it seems sturdy enough. I guess since it is a bit flexible it may, on first impression, feel weak. I'll take your word on its sturdiness.

I really wish it was black!

Mike:

The shark tooth tip also was not as sharp as the primary bevel on my knife.

Regarless, it is one of the best production tacticals.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words about the PE2. We are obviously excited about this knife.

I understand the desire for a clip in "black," but I'm not sure we are going there. I'll check into that.

Mike, regarding the legality of the action (remember I'm not an expert in law), the following comments from Jim March should answer your question (see the last post in the thread):

www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum55/HTML/000066.html

Let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Ron@SOG

------------------
Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 09-19-2000).]

Back