Pearl

I'm planning on working with MOP and some abalone. I have a jewelers saw and can cut, file, sand and polish the stuff with no major problems. How do I drill it? Any special adheasive work best, or is epoxy OK?

BTW, good to have you here Mr. Ralph.

First of all my name aint mista!!!!!!
I drill the mop with carbide drills. BUT
regular hs drills like you can find at Sears will work just fine. Always put a buffer board or piece of material under the pearl when drilling. With a HSS drill slower than with the carbide. Carbide works best for me because it dosent chip the pearl .. I drill a .093 dia hole at about 1200-1500 rpm. For a hss drill I would drill at about 700 rpm.
Drill it slow and let the drill do the work of cutting .
Thanks for the kind words
Epoxy will work fine just make sure you clamp the pearl lightly so it dosent move on ya
[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 10-07-98).]

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 10-07-98).]

Well, i have used pearl on a few peices succesfully, and a few not so succesfull so I'll give this question a shot..

The times i have drilled MOP, i used regular high speed drill bits, turned at about 600 rpm, with plenty of water to stop cracking..that was the first mishap, heat cracks this stuff real nice..
smile.gif

as far as the chipping, i back the peices with a flat peice of micarta or even plexiglass, so that when the bit exits the other side it doesnt bullseye on ya. As far as chipping on the top side when drilling, i mark my holes then put a drop of super glue on the surface and let it dry wherever i need to drill a hole..The super glue gives something for the bit to start in before it contacts the MOP.

and as far as adhesives go, epoxy has worked just fine for me!

Hope I could Help, Alan..

Back