Photos Peavey • Cant Hook • Cant Dog • Hook on a Stick

Great job,Josh.
So,in selecting such 20-ies,IF one was reasonably sure it's Doug fir( and not hemlock),at least in theory one May come across stock suitable for re-handling an old pike...(seems like you did buy one too,a while back?).

(what a beautiful place Maine is...some of the best months of my far-off youth were spent as a roadie for a Bridgeton rock band "Apathy":)...but we never went anywhere near the coast,only inland..).

I haven’t seen a lot of lugged-pickaroons. Exceptions being modified axes.
This might an old Warren Hookaroon/Pickaroon I picked up at the coast:

5657-B6-DE-0-A45-4-B62-9-A32-98-D63-B84-D765.jpg

Hookaroon.26

Hookaroon.26

Hookaroon.26

Wow! That is heavy steel in that area for it to be bent there?!?

Very heavy. I've never owned/used one before but I assumed it was to keep your knuckles off the log. Kind of like a purposeful S-curve of a broad axe handle. The bend is in-line to the blade. Like I said, I haven't seen many of them to know if there were commercial models like that to begin with.

Curious? I had not seen one purposefully bent before and suspected someone used it to try to lever something.
Mine also looks very similar to yours, although fairly straight, it has a gentle curve that is cupped inward. (Maybe to help it track around the curvature of the log and dive under the bark?)
A5-BD5-EE7-5743-462-F-A60-E-1-B4-AA52-A6-A50.jpg

B5-CCAF19-DC0-F-4-A8-E-B2-D6-40-B0388-D4-C04.jpg

FCFD148-C-1-BD8-403-A-B53-A-5-CB1-FB4-B0973.jpg

45-D01778-7828-4-CF0-94-FC-6-FDFAE19-E9-B5.jpg

oh yeah! There is a bark spud thread!?
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bark-spuds-cedar-spuds.1310310/

Now I wonder if we should move this conversation over there?..

S Square_peg has a couple of nice ones, maybe he could weigh in?

I have an unmarked bark spud that looks much like yours. I also have a Warren Bulldog bark spud and a Warren cedar spud. The Warren is on the bottom in this photo.

Barks%20spuds%2007-14-19.jpg

The Warren has a little less curve than the unmarked. I like my Warren better. It seems to get under the bark easier and more efficiently. I think my unmarked might be bent from use at the tip. If I'm bringing them to a volunteer event then I will use the Warren and let another volunteer use the unmarked.

But I like using the cedar spud more. The length makes it more comfortable for me. I keep it sharp so I can shave the knots on my way by.

4.jpg

Sometimes I'll start the peel with the bark spud and then finish it with the cedar spud.

10.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

9.jpg

Back