Peering over the Edge

I’m 80 years old and neither a maker nor an expert; but I have learned a few things over the years. Almost every boy in my neighborhood wanted a pocket knife. I wasn’t allowed to have one because my mom said I would grow up to be a criminal. The summer after junior high I was hired on a construction crew building houses. That’s when my dad gave me my first knife, a Schrade stockman. Schrade used great steel back then. My dad was a shop teacher and a master woodworker. He taught me early how to sharpen everything with an edge. It was many years before I purchased my second knife.

The second, third and fourth knives came from K-Mart in the ‘70s. They were among the first Japanese imports. I paid $7 and $10 for two of them and $25 for the third. That third knife was made by Ichiro Hattori who is an icon in Japan. The knife was a Model 109 Drop Point Hunter. You have to see one to appreciate it. It was 440C with a large convex grind going in to one of the sharpest edges I have ever seen. That knife stayed with me 40 years before it was stolen. I was heartbroken. I spent months looking for another and finally found two. I bought both and gave one to my grandson. I was happy once again even though they cost me big bucks.

You’re probably wondering why I’m giving a life history. Everyone on this site is searching for answers. Some have the answers. This post has a few answers of value from a collector that had a lot of questions and is still looking for answers. If you own one knife you are probably happy to have it. If you own three or more you are afflicted with a disease for which there is no cure. You have become an addict; and I can readily empathize with your plight. So, if you are into collecting I will try to give you some valuable advice.

Most of us started out looking for the perfect knife because we couldn’t afford to mess up financially. Then we found out there is no perfect knife; and since there are umpteen thousand makers all around the world we began to panic. Don’t panic!!!!! Your wallet is your dictator. Back in the ‘80s I ran across a knife in a surplus store that cost $3. It was handmade and the ugliest knife I had ever seen. The only thing right about it was the steel (some sort of spring steel and very flexible). It was a skinning knife with great patina. I bought it and began refining it. Sharpest knife I have ever seen bar none. Drew blood more than once. Ended up giving it to a friend who was a fisherman. Wish I still had it. So for $3 you can have one of the best skinners if you know what to look for and have some time to revamp.

I’ve found lots of knives in flea markets and Goodwill (before they began selling the better ones on eBay). What you look for are the old knives that were heavily used and made of good carbon steel. Most will require some work after purchase; but it will be worth the effort. Look for rust and patina. Those are good signs. I told my grandson, “Never pass up a good rusty knife.” You can always clean it up. The best flea market find was a butcher knife for which I paid $15. It was beautiful beyond belief. It was also stolen by an acquaintance. Have never seen its equal to this day.

Now you have a bunch of stuff that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. You need to learn how to sharpen. It’s a good thing to learn. I also collect sharpeners (diamond, steels, ceramic, stone, manufactured grit, paper/cloth) both old and new all manual. That, too, is a disease. Learn to carry something in your pocket. I have a small combination diamond/ceramic in my hip pocket. I have a habit of sharpening other people’s knives when I see them. But you can also find 6 inch ceramic rods that are durable for that quick touch up. And don’t forget the larger ceramics. Much of what you will need will require some research before buying. I like a heavy grit and a ceramic for quick touch up. When I have the time I get into all the other sharpeners. That can be just as satisfying as using the knife.

There is a general attitude today of what I call knife snobbishness. When there were fewer makers and fewer designs this attitude was seldom present. While Case and Ka-Bar and others had a following attitudes were, for the most part, low key. When you own as many knives as I have acquired over the years, you begin to appreciate the individual qualities of each and every one whether low dollar or high. Each knife has a purpose for which it was designed. Using it beyond its limitations is expensive at worst and sad at best. I have knives of such expense that I will never put them to their intended use. And I won’t display them either. They are an investment as many fine knives are. But each knife I own must be a working blade capable of doing what it was designed to do. So, you want a working blade? Here are some tips.

Decide what you want to do with the knife. Dexter/Russell has knives that will skin an animal just as well as a $400 blade; and the cost is negligible by comparison. The steel is excellent and easy to sharpen. But don’t forget proper care. Then there are the various multi-purpose outdoor knives. That’s where a lot of folks get confused; and it’s basically a toss-up. Everyone has a recommendation so I won’t. And how about fighting knives both temporary and sustained? Well, on a temporary basis, a 12 inch spike from Home Depot will do; and so will a well-designed blade of $30 or less. In a sustained confrontation something with better composition is needed. For heavy use a properly treated 1095 is a good choice. General usage blades can run anywhere from $5 to $100 depending on what pleases you. Yes, you can pay more but why unless you are strictly into collecting as an investment or for posterity. But, as I’ve said, it’s a disease.

Well, I’ve talked long enough. Everyone has opinions; and these were mine. Thanks for listening.

Wow! So true!
No matter how badly one feels for
the want of a knife, never ever make
the grave mistake of giving in to wants.
Because it leads to severe addiction.
But when you do, at least make sure
that its something usable.
There is nothing worst than for
a knife user to become addicted
to a lifetime of waste, greed and vanity.
There is only so many knives that
one can hope to care for with
personal attention and love.
Remember that in the real world,
every knife will be judged by Its
performance and capabilities
no different from a kitchen knife.
A prudent knife buy should never be judged
solely by its cost or looks.
A knife if taken care of will continue to
serve its purpose.
In the end, should any of your knives
outlive you, they become a legacy of one
man's attempt of having done his best
to give his knives the respect and care in which a working knife should receive.
It would be a shame to be remembered
as a person who never allowed a knife
to shine as was intended by its maker.
And if by chance should another person
recognise your attempt at good care
and knife maintainace, It would certainly
allow your knife a well deserved second
chance of service In the hands of others.
Knives are tools. Don't let them waste.

Last edited:
I’m 80 years old and neither a maker nor an expert; but I have learned a few things over the years. Almost every boy in my neighborhood wanted a pocket knife. I wasn’t allowed to have one because my mom said I would grow up to be a criminal. The summer after junior high I was hired on a construction crew building houses. That’s when my dad gave me my first knife, a Schrade stockman. Schrade used great steel back then. My dad was a shop teacher and a master woodworker. He taught me early how to sharpen everything with an edge. It was many years before I purchased my second knife.

The second, third and fourth knives came from K-Mart in the ‘70s. They were among the first Japanese imports. I paid $7 and $10 for two of them and $25 for the third. That third knife was made by Ichiro Hattori who is an icon in Japan. The knife was a Model 109 Drop Point Hunter. You have to see one to appreciate it. It was 440C with a large convex grind going in to one of the sharpest edges I have ever seen. That knife stayed with me 40 years before it was stolen. I was heartbroken. I spent months looking for another and finally found two. I bought both and gave one to my grandson. I was happy once again even though they cost me big bucks.

You’re probably wondering why I’m giving a life history. Everyone on this site is searching for answers. Some have the answers. This post has a few answers of value from a collector that had a lot of questions and is still looking for answers. If you own one knife you are probably happy to have it. If you own three or more you are afflicted with a disease for which there is no cure. You have become an addict; and I can readily empathize with your plight. So, if you are into collecting I will try to give you some valuable advice.

Most of us started out looking for the perfect knife because we couldn’t afford to mess up financially. Then we found out there is no perfect knife; and since there are umpteen thousand makers all around the world we began to panic. Don’t panic!!!!! Your wallet is your dictator. Back in the ‘80s I ran across a knife in a surplus store that cost $3. It was handmade and the ugliest knife I had ever seen. The only thing right about it was the steel (some sort of spring steel and very flexible). It was a skinning knife with great patina. I bought it and began refining it. Sharpest knife I have ever seen bar none. Drew blood more than once. Ended up giving it to a friend who was a fisherman. Wish I still had it. So for $3 you can have one of the best skinners if you know what to look for and have some time to revamp.

I’ve found lots of knives in flea markets and Goodwill (before they began selling the better ones on eBay). What you look for are the old knives that were heavily used and made of good carbon steel. Most will require some work after purchase; but it will be worth the effort. Look for rust and patina. Those are good signs. I told my grandson, “Never pass up a good rusty knife.” You can always clean it up. The best flea market find was a butcher knife for which I paid $15. It was beautiful beyond belief. It was also stolen by an acquaintance. Have never seen its equal to this day.

Now you have a bunch of stuff that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. You need to learn how to sharpen. It’s a good thing to learn. I also collect sharpeners (diamond, steels, ceramic, stone, manufactured grit, paper/cloth) both old and new all manual. That, too, is a disease. Learn to carry something in your pocket. I have a small combination diamond/ceramic in my hip pocket. I have a habit of sharpening other people’s knives when I see them. But you can also find 6 inch ceramic rods that are durable for that quick touch up. And don’t forget the larger ceramics. Much of what you will need will require some research before buying. I like a heavy grit and a ceramic for quick touch up. When I have the time I get into all the other sharpeners. That can be just as satisfying as using the knife.

There is a general attitude today of what I call knife snobbishness. When there were fewer makers and fewer designs this attitude was seldom present. While Case and Ka-Bar and others had a following attitudes were, for the most part, low key. When you own as many knives as I have acquired over the years, you begin to appreciate the individual qualities of each and every one whether low dollar or high. Each knife has a purpose for which it was designed. Using it beyond its limitations is expensive at worst and sad at best. I have knives of such expense that I will never put them to their intended use. And I won’t display them either. They are an investment as many fine knives are. But each knife I own must be a working blade capable of doing what it was designed to do. So, you want a working blade? Here are some tips.

Decide what you want to do with the knife. Dexter/Russell has knives that will skin an animal just as well as a $400 blade; and the cost is negligible by comparison. The steel is excellent and easy to sharpen. But don’t forget proper care. Then there are the various multi-purpose outdoor knives. That’s where a lot of folks get confused; and it’s basically a toss-up. Everyone has a recommendation so I won’t. And how about fighting knives both temporary and sustained? Well, on a temporary basis, a 12 inch spike from Home Depot will do; and so will a well-designed blade of $30 or less. In a sustained confrontation something with better composition is needed. For heavy use a properly treated 1095 is a good choice. General usage blades can run anywhere from $5 to $100 depending on what pleases you. Yes, you can pay more but why unless you are strictly into collecting as an investment or for posterity. But, as I’ve said, it’s a disease.

Well, I’ve talked long enough. Everyone has opinions; and these were mine. Thanks for listening.
Wow. I think this is one of the most interesting posts I have ever read here. Thank you for sharing your history. Post more often old john!

My dad was a shop teacher and a master woodworker. He taught me early how to sharpen everything with an edge.
I have learned many things from learing high end hand tool woodworking that . . . surprisingly . . . I have been able to apply to other types of work (metal working and even mechanicing) that have made my life easier and my final results BETTER !

Yes; I found out pretty quick that I didn't have any idea what SHARP was until I got into hand tool woodworking. I had to up my game a whole bunch just to begin to learn high end hand woodworking.

Look for rust and patina. Those are good signs. I told my grandson, “Never pass up a good rusty knife.” You can always clean it up.
SO TRUE !
I have to wrinkle my brow and shake my head when I read knife product "reviews" when the reviewer starts complaining and saying what a bad knife it is because it got some rust spots on it. ". . . in just a day or two . . . how can this company put out such a lowsy knife . . . yada yada . . ."

All I can say to that person is : You don't know do you ! ? ! ?

Thanks for posting

Enjoyed reading your post John ... there is a bit of wisdom and self reflection in there that most of us haven't reached quite just yet ...

But I have to say reading your post took me back a couple years when my dad was sick ... we talked about a bit of everything ...

But alot of his stories echo yours ... and I got out and cleaned up an Old Hickory knife to use during our last holiday meals together ... and it was nice to see him smile and know I did listen to most of what he taught me ... even if I may have not showed it until I grew up more.

Thanks for sharing - JJ

Last edited:
Thank you for the post, Old John.

You have a few years on me, I'm 'only' 78. But all you say is true. In my younger days I was guilty of some knife snobbery and high expectations based on unrealistic things. In my 20's I thought Randall was THE end all of knifed. It was a huge disappointment of thick blades of run of the mill steel. And there is no perfect kit and the ugly truth is, any piece of sharp steel will cut well enough for most people who are not fighting off Chinese paratroopers while yelling "Wolverines".

Over the past few years I've found myself slowly backing away from the whole knife thing. If I have decent pocket knife on me, then I'm good to go. Most my knife collection has been sold off or given away to family and friends. My knife obsession is gone to be replied with a realization that any good knife will do what I need, and a lot of those knives are 20 dollar knives. I still drop by the forums some, but it's more like a reformed drunk stopping by the bar to see old friends and having a club soda with a twist of lime while visiting, than then leaving before the obsession can take root again.

Yes, the truth is a Russell-Dexter or Victoriox Forschner butcher knife will dress and skin that critter as well as a 200 dollar custom. A SAK or Opinel in the pocket will break down a box or cut a piece of rope as well as a 500 dollar sebanza. You just won't have any bragging rights with a SAK or Opinel. To some folks, that's what matters.

Last edited:
Everyone on this blade forum is great. I will spend more time on it from now on. There is much to learn; and you can never be too old to learn unless, of course, you have Alzheimer's which I don't. So, there is no excuse not to learn. Life is what you make it. Learning is a never ending opportunity. I'm glad there are knifemakers on this site. Their information is valuable.

Everyone on this blade forum is great. I will spend more time on it from now on. There is much to learn; and you can never be too old to learn unless, of course, you have Alzheimer's which I don't. So, there is no excuse not to learn. Life is what you make it. Learning is a never ending opportunity. I'm glad there are knifemakers on this site. Their information is valuable.

Like they say...learning is a journey, not a destination

Wow....
I know I'm a little late to the party here, but... what a post! I particularly enjoyed the op by Old John and the reply by Jackknife. Thanks for sharing guys.

I think this subject has been increasingly on my mind, gradually, and for a while now. I also think this little bit of history mixed with alot of hard earned wisdom kinda answered some questions for me. About my own knife obsession and perhaps even some insight into faith, and distractions there from.

Thanks again guys and all the best to all of you.

Back