Pen Knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jim Hataway, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Jim Hataway

Jim Hataway

Jun 19, 2016
    Hello,

A little discussed topic, pen knives. My favorite is the Case 6269 which is no longer made. Also have the Case Eisenhower. These patterns were known as half congress and senator years ago. Both about three inches long. Not intended for "heavy duty", but very adequate for light use such as opening packages. What are your favorite pen knives?

Jim

2. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    The current CASE Penknife in Yellow Delrin is a very good user and a svelte carry. I do wish they'd offer it in Chestnut & Amber Bone too but they never do:(

Their Half Whittler pattern has been changed to 2 springs so by my criteria it's no longer a Penknife (single spring, blade on opposite ends) but it's a very decent carry comes in many scale variants.

[​IMG]

Knifenorway, Chief, J Buck and 10 others like this.
  3. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Probably too many to mention but my favorite is a Bill Simon's custom. IMG_1620-1024x880.JPG

4. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I think my favorite Pen knife is this one by A.G. Russell. I like it enough that I bought another one just like it.

IMG_3324.JPG
    IMG_3956.JPG

5. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    GEC unleashed a Big One this year;) Their 82 Possum Skinner, two full size blades and on one spring:cool:

[​IMG]

6. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I like this schrade 2 3/4'' pen pattern. This one is a 71083, which later became the 710 and 718 (stainless), then the 104ot and 707uh.

IMG_6076.jpg

7. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    When I think of a pen knife I think of the classic equal end spear pen combo, and this one is my particular favorite.
    Btw no I don't open both blades like this often.
    [​IMG]

8. Headwinds

Headwinds Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Favorite pen to carry is this Case Mini-Copperhead. Comfortable in the hand and in the pocket.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  9. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Pen style knives are my favorite pattern, look forward to screening this post
    Pens_2BF.JPG

10. Country_Squire

Country_Squire

Apr 7, 2019
    @joeradza does that Bill Simon knife have scales made of ss silverware? I have a fork with that exact flower pattern. Either way it’s a beautiful knife, I love how he aligned the pins with the center of the flower heads.

11. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I got it secondhand and I've never contacted Bill but that would be my guess.

12. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Pens are my favoured pattern and here's a firm favourite: Winchester Black Box Swell Centre

[​IMG]

13. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    EDC (and I mean every day) for about 10 years. Boker red bone 8288SS. The shield rubbed almost smooth.
    [​IMG]

chuck4570, Dschal, Chief and 6 others like this.
  14. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Craftsman 9524 (Schrade Walden 708). I've never carried it or sharpened it since I have owned it. Glad I rescued it before whoever did own it destroyed it with poor sharpening technique.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chuck4570, TheChunk91, Dschal and 9 others like this.
  15. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    To the extent that they qualify (I'm not clear on blade shape and number of springs in the definition), here are my Buck 305 Lancer (single spring, clip and coping blades) and my Case stag mini copperhead (two springs, Wharncliffe and pen blades).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    The Penknife is a great Traditional pattern, but it's worth noting that a Penknife can have more than 2 blades, and that not every knife with 2 opposing blades is a Penknife :thumbsup:

While the definitive guide to traditional pocket knife patterns, Levine's Guide to Knives & Their Values, CAN be expensive, the later Blade's Guide to Knives & Their Values, can be viewed for free online :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

A Senator Penknife by Albert Oates of Sheffield.

17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    A Wharncliffe Whittler is a Penknife pattern :thumbsup:

Ace Rimmer, Ramrodmb and JohnDF like this.
  18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I have several hundred Penknives, and can't really photograph them all, but I'll post a few. Here's some of my Joseph Rodgers Penknives, including a couple of Quill Knives.

[​IMG]

19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Here's a random half dozen Sheffield MOP Penknives by (from Top Left) George Wostenholm, Lewis Barnascone, Cadman & Colquhoun, Green, William Rodgers, and Wragg.

[​IMG]

20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    A random half-dozen ivory-handled Penknives. From Top Left - Taylor's Eye Witness, Croisdale of Leeds, Croisdale of Leeds (Croisdale were originally a maker, but later a factor, these knives would have been made in Sheffield), Joseph Rodgers (a Three Blade Penknife NOT a Whittler), James Ryals, and Guillemin Renault.

[​IMG]