1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

People who carried the Spyderco Dragonfly FRN, how durable it is ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chapp, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Chapp

Chapp

Mar 28, 2018
    I keep hearing about how the metal of the blade will eat the FRN of the handle and it will get lose along the way. The Dragonfly is 80€ where I live and I use my knife extensively. Should I be worried and go for the G10 version that has metal liners and washers ?

What's your take on it ?

2. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    FRN is some tough stuff for handle material, and it has been proven over the many, many, years it's been out. I wouldn't worry about using a FRN knife at all.

3. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I’ve carried lots of FRN Spydercos, including the DFly, and they’ve always performed fine with no issues inherent to the FRN material. Spyderco FRN is top notch in that genre.

4. Dallas T

Dallas T Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2013
    That should never happen or be a concern

hopsbreath likes this.
  5. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016

It's a screw together design. If it loosens you can always tighten it. I've owned several of both and prefer the FRN version over the g10.

OrangeBlueOrangeBlue likes this.
  6. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy

Jan 27, 2019
    My serrated H1, linerless ladybug is holding up great.

7. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Don’t know whom is telling you the metal is going to eat the blade, but I doubt it’s from their personal experiences. That’s complete nonsense!

8. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    I think you should go for the version with steel liners and G10 just because it looks and feels better in my opinion.;)

With that said, FRN is not going to fail or be "eaten away" by the blade, that's just silly.

9. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I've got a 12 or 13 year old Endura with white FRN that is still chugging along and locking up fine. I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

10. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    I have an early fully serrated dfly from early 90''s it's great .Used to cut 3 an 4"water hoses to fix on the fly under water tables never a problem

11. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    It's plenty durable. For a knife of that size, I can't imagine how you'd compromise it without doing so intentionally and having to really really work to wreck it.

12. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint

May 10, 2013
    I carry a Dragonfly regularly, and also have used an FRN Salt as my Kayaking/Beach knife for many years with no issues. I also picked up the pakkawood dragonfly which has metal liners like the G10 version recently, and I gotta be honest; Even though I do like it quite a bit, I'm not 100% sold on it yet for carrying regularly, and can't help but wonder if perhaps the lightweight liner-less FRN version is simply the ideal platform for a knife like the Dragonfly.

13. Chrisinzky

Chrisinzky Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2015
    No worries about frn wearing down, it's good stuff

14. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    I carry FRN Spydercos for HVAC and electrical work (think wires, gaskets, tape, hoses etc.)
    I've never had a problem with durability out of the steel or handle scales.

15. Sigsog226

Sigsog226 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I've had many df2's, and the frn one I had the longest was 3 years of using it 5 days a week. It held up the same from day one. Opened/closed well, didn't develop any play, and the frn was still completely intact.

And I dig for a living, rain or shine, so it had all kinds of gunk, dirt, mud, get in there. I would clean it out after it got completely covered. Still one of my top 5 folding knives. I prefer the frn myself. I like the texture and weight of it. But the g10/liners do have a smoother/classier feel to them.

16. RKH

RKH

Oct 29, 2005
    I am a big fan of the dgnfly. I have 3 frn and a g10 fly. All great knives but I prefer the frn and it will not eat the handle.

17. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Also, please link to those saying the blade will eat the handle so that we may chastise them properly.

18. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I exclusively carried the same FRN Delica for years. My oldest daughter now uses it as her EDC. It's just fine. Just like all my FRN and FRCP Spydercos.

19. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Like everyone else, I've had no problems with Spyderco FRN handles. I've scraped, pried and twisted with them quite a bit.

20. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    When I got hold of my first delica I smacked the handles with a hammer. Did the same with a mini grip and it didn't do a thing to them.