people's favorite steels for applications

I'm in the budget club. I've never used S30V or S35VN. Based on what people say about them here, I'm worried I'd get spoiled.

Seriously though, this project might need to establish a separate category for the budget realm. Some steels seem to stand out from the pack a little down here. I've been pretty happy with 14C28N and VG-10 for EDC stuff. The last year has been pretty good for budget knives though. There is a lot more competition. Over time, I'll be curious to see how people like the 9Cr18Mov and Acuto 440 being used by Civivi and Tangram respectively.

Really? What about ZDP 189 and HAP-40? Aogami Super? Even BD1N for a lower end option?

I'm no expert, was just chiming in after very recently looking into getting a new knife

Just had very recently looked through their catalogues.

The general point was chefs don't seem to care....Only mentioned VG because Shun offers knives in VG

I like S30V, it was a misunderstood failure at humor.
My take was that it was the "poor" part that was misunderstood. In other words they thought you were saying it was a poor steel, rather than an expression of pity for a steel that lost it's place in the spotlight.

Perhaps "Poor ol' S30V isn't a super steel anymore ;)" would have not been misunderstood.

Back